All reviews common room temple bar bed dorm great location mixed dorm own bathroom christ church cathedral per day airport bus stayed nights city centre hostel beds cereal bunk roommates christchurch
Reviewed 8 June 2016 via mobile

I ended up staying at kinlay house because a different hotel lost my reservation. I booked it last minute, just looking for a place to drop my bags. It's a very busy place but the staff was organized. They helped with all of my inquiries about the area and were happy to do it. The one reason I don't like hostels is the showers but here they were clean and hot, which is the best you can hope for when backpacking! I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere in Dublin.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Camper551593
Reviewed 6 June 2016

Unfortunately my stay in Kinlay house didn't complete the great weekend I had envisaged spending in Dublin. I booked the hostel via "Hostelworld", chosen due to location and to the availability of parking which other hostels did not have. However after getting extremely frustrated driving multiple times around the vicinity of the hostel and not locating the parking I rang the reception desk only for them to inform me that the parking was not free and I would be given a "deal" of 50% off - resulting in my parking ticket costing 15euros!! This was not a welcome addition to what I feel was an already extremely over priced dorm room. It cost me 30euros for a bed in a 20-person dorm, which unsurprisingly resulted in poor sleep due to multiple disruptions and the dorm being stuffy without AC. The hostel staff were very friendly and the hostel was clean if basic with the complimentary breakfast being very welcome.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2016 via mobile

Good location but impersonal staff. Wifi is spotty to nonexistent. No AC and windows in dorms only crack a few inches. Worst part was that the kitchen and lounge close and don't reopen until later in the morning. If you have an early tour or flight out, you'll just have to leave immediately. Wouldn't stay here again or recommend to others.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2016

I stayed here for 3 nights and resided in a 6bed mixed gender dorm with mixed communal bathrooms. Was weary at first but it was fine, not once did I see anyone naked or even partially clothed. The beds were basic but did the job. I booked early and paid around 13-14/day I believe so very good. It is within walking distance to everything. Guinness, Port, Temple Bar,Grafton all your tourist stuff. The wifi was very spotty, not real good at all, especially in dorm rooms - but theres probably 60 people using it.

Staff were nice and pointed me in the direction of where I wanted to go.

It's a hostel. I think experiences are more reliant on your roommates and what not.

Stay in a hotel if you want silence in bed. The snoring and shuffling can get tedious.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2016

I stayed for 3 nights while in Dublin for a wedding, travelling alone. I'm in my 30s and this was my first experience in a hostel and I would definitely stay again. It really is amazing what you get for the money. I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm and all the girls I stayed with were pleasant. The bed was comfy, the en suite shower was hot. I also used the shared shower/toilet facilities on my floor which was large and clean. The breakfast is basic but plentiful and the kitchen facilities are great. Everything was basic and a little scruffy in places but very clean. It feels very secure, the front door is buzzer entry and you need a key card to get in your room door. The bus stop to/from the airport is right outside and the national rail station (Heuston), Dart train station (Tara St) and LUAS (tram) are all 15-20 mins walk. The staff were so helpful and answered loads of questions for me and helped me plan journeys etc. There are maps, leaflets, free walking tours, bar crawls and excursions available.
Ok, it's not the Ritz, but honestly it is SUCH good value and I really enjoyed my stay.
If you have time, take the dart train to Howth and eat fish in one of the amazing seafood restaurants on the pier.

Room Tip: Shared toilet/showers were v. good so ensuite not essential.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo