See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

Considering the higher price and great reviews here, i was expecting a nice stay at globetrotters. But... Not so much. This place has skimped on providing some very important amenities.. Im not sure if they are trying to cut costs or what, but it really left a sour taste in my mouth.

There is not a single outlet in the dorms. Wifi doesnt work in the rooms. And the worst thing are the lights - guests have no control over them and they dont go out until after 11pm! And if you arrive back late or need to go to the bathroom... Sorry, too bad for you. They also snap back on bright and early so if you are looking for a sleep in you are out or luck. The walls and floors are paper thin so expect to hear everything. One bathroom for 8-10 people as well. No lockers to keep your stuff, just some broken drawers beneath your bed.

This place is clean, the beds are comfy enough and breakfast is included but its
Just not worth the price. We found a much cheaper one down the road that provided much better than this place.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Canaussie79
DublinMurielO, Public Relations Manager at Globetrotters Tourist Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Hi Canaussie79

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write an opinion piece in relation to your stay at Globetrotters Hostel City Centre Tourist Accommodation Dublin Ireland. As you will have seen from your stay, we have gone to great lengths to make our products and services the very best in Dublin, we have provided for your convenience a Tourist Information Desk which is manned 24/7 by informative staff, we have provided FREE Wi-Fi and Computer Zone, we have provided a nice relaxing lounge area and other rooms for socialising with friends, however, we do realise that our products and services need to be constantly updated and reviewed and that is why we say Thank you for taking the time to offer a comprehensive opinion piece on your stay at Globetrotters Tourist Hostel Dublin City Centre Ireland. Please make sure to Book Direct on Our website and LIKE us on Facebook to stay up to date with our FREE draws and Special Offers for your next visit.
Muriel O’Connor, Globetrotters Hostel, Dublin, IRELAND

Reviewed 29 October 2012

PRO

staff
breakfast
rooms
interior (both rooms and the whole hostel)
cleanliness
building
location
service
room service

everything gets a 5/5

This building is really authentic and beautiful. You won't guess that when you see it from the outside. But once inside you see that it once was a noble apartment house. The rooms have vistorian style (wooden garnish moulding on the ceiling and walls, awesome chairs and lamps and mosaic floor in the bathroom.)

The hostel has nice rooms, floors, lobbies, breakfast room, a chinese garden, free Wifi in the ground floor, many small stairs. Its really cozy and homely.

CONTRA

The room we had (206) was on the street side so it was a little loud because the windows are some original ones.

One morning we had no warm water for 2 hours or something.

SUM IT UP

I really can recommend this hostel, which feels more like a Hotel .. our twin room had a TV, hair drier, a safe, several lamps, many towels, water glasses and a water boiler and mugs for tea (teabags and sugar included). And all that for a awesome price. Two persons for 4 night = 180EUR. In the center of Dublin. Awesome.

We plan on coming back in spring because we know a good stay :)

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not located to the street side if you don't want the noise form outside.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
DublinMurielO, Owner at Globetrotters Tourist Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Many thanks for your kind comments and delighted to hear you will be visiting us again in Spring.
Sincere apologies for your lack of hot water on one of the mornings of your stay - I can assure you,
you will have plenty on your next visit. Again thank you for your comments.
From all at The Townhouse/Globetrotters

Reviewed 24 October 2012

I stayed with a group of young adults at the hostel. The girls shared a 10-bed-dorm, the boys fit into another one and I had a private room/no ensuite bathroom.
First, the good part: The hostel has a lot of atmosphere, great communal rooms, wi-fi excellent, dorms are crowded but good beds with drawers (though only 1 shower per 10 beds!), I slept terrific in my bed, and often the staff was helpful with information, and the hostel is in walking distance to anything you might want to see.
Now the downside: Cleanliness and staff friendliness: Everything seems to be "quick, quick, quick" or "no time". The floor in the dorm's bathroom was never!!! in 8 days done. My bathroom never had toilet paper (I have to admit I stole from the other bathrooms), the waste basket in the bathroom always overflowing with everything that is in there, the shower was mostly cold or there was no water (2nd floor only). For two days it was clogged and nobody cared - nothing was done about it.
There was not enough dinnerware/no pans/no stove/cutlery for us and we had to improvise a lot - the hostel claims it provides self-catering facilities, but you have to be very dedicated to pull this through.
The staff was sometimes nice enough, but more often outright impudent, especially to my students - they treated them as 3rd class citizens. No knocking at the door and waiting to be called in, constant reminders about everything, e.g. how they had to wash the dishes (we didn't have a problem with that, but they seemed to anticipate problems and had to act on that).
Mentioning anything that could be understood as being close to a complaint didn't help at all - nobody cared (and this is not only my experience but that of other guests as well - I overheard some conversations) and, in one incident (I'll graciously spare the hostel any explanation here) led to being screamed at (and I mean this literally!) and I felt as if I was under attack. I have never been treated like this before!
When checking the Internet again, I could find a lot of people complaining about the staff - if there is complaining, then this would be the reason. For me the management doesn't endorse the idea of customer-friendliness, they react as if personally threatened and don't look for a solution but negate the problem. And if the management doesn't show the staff how "it's being done" you can imagine how they will fulfill their duties (in the sense: the customer is never right, and they will succeed because the management supports them).
I will definitely not come back to the place, inspite of the positive aspects. They could do so much better...

Room Tip: stay in a bedroom with ensuite bath, then you will have the least problems - you will be their "first-class customers".
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bettina64291
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We booked a room here after a tour, as the hostel we originally planned to stay at was rubbish. We booked a double private room with shared bathroom. Our room was actually in the building next door but they are both connected inside, with 2 separate reception areas. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The room itself was clean and cosy and quiet (except for the Spanish ladies in the room opposite who spent half the night talking in the hallway!). It had a double bed with a sink and tea/coffee facilities and a tv, towels provided and a good heater (which we didn't need). The wi-fi worked in our room. The shared bathroom was clean but the shower was terrible - the whole bottom filled up with water (well over my feet) and it was basically cold. There was a good selection for breakfast downstairs.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I do apologise your shower was not such a good experience but we are now in the process of remodeling all our bathrooms in the Townhouse side. I hope we will see you back with us again sometime in the future and again your comments are much appreciated.
From all at The Townhouse/Globetrotters

Reviewed 12 October 2012

I booked a 10 beds male dormitory room, and the second night after midnight i saw a girl coming to the room ... She Was there untill i left the hostel.. this can be not professonal .. for me was ok a girl whit 9 guys... but can be a problem for girls if they book the female dorm and then a guy sllep there... :-)

Except this... Everithing ok
They dont provide lockers in the dorm but youc an ask to leave your Important thinkgs Upstair and anytime you have to ask for them.

every time you get in you have to Buzz... but it mean that the Hostel is safe because you also have to show a card that they give to you...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo