“Disorganised & cheeky staff, no value for money”

Globetrotters Tourist Hostel
Ranked #50 of 126 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 8 November 2012

staff / service
- no organization at all
- my reservation was not in their system
- woken by housekeeping (I mean not only that they did their job when I was asleep - which would be ok in a hostel; I mean: "Hello -hello- hello... you must go to the reception - I have on my list you are checking out today")
- NO APOLOGIES for these inconvenience (in more detail below)
- in stead receptionist scolding me and saying I should stay until his colleque arrives for his shift
- hassled by receptionist (in more detail below)
- in the second night (early in the morning) confusion in the room because one bed was double-booked
(in more detail below)

facilities:
- one bathroom for 10 people
- room is advertised as 8 bed room but is in fact a 10 bed room
- mouldy bathroom
- housekeeping doesn't vacuum the rooms
- bathroom / "kitchenette" still dirty after housekeeping (lemon in the sink for entire stay)
- ridiculous electric installation (couldn't find light when I entered the room)
- broken bed lamp - so no light to read in the evening
- wifi breaks down every few minutes
- shower doesn't keep one temperature (hot - cold - hot - cold)
- little room with a sink but no fridge or microwave or anything - what is this supposed to be? A kitchenette???
- some of the drawers under the bed with device for attaching a lock are so broken that padlock slips through it
- many things broken (pedal bin in "kitchenette" had to be opened by hand - disgusting as smudgy with waste, hangers for jackets broken,...)
- on arrival dirty bag on my bed (ok not hostels fault but I've seen in other places signs which remind the guests not to do that)
- paper thin walls (you hear everything)
- old, wooden creaky bunk beds (if in the lower bed you wake up when the person above turns around)

I had booked on a common booking website AND emailed them about my arrival as I arrived later than their usual check-in time and so it was recommended by the online booking portal to contact the hostel. Though I got a reply by the hostel confirming my arrival time, on arrival I was told they didn't have my reservation in the system. The receptionist seemed to have no clue what to do. He asked me several times which website I had booked on and asked me several times for a specific website (which I had told him by the first time it wasn't the one I had booked with). He had no clue about the price and asked me if I could tell him the rate on my booking confirmation.
Then he took my payment by credit card (they take the card with them to the next room where they run another reception for a guesthouse or something like that so you can't really see what they are doing with your card - dodgy!!!) and when I checked it it said just the amount for one night. I told him that I had booked two nights and wanted to stay two nights. He told me I should pay the second night the next day as there was another rate applicable.

The next morning (as mentioned in the bullet points above) I got because of that woken by the housekeeping! I was in Dublin for a concert on Saturday and wanted to sleep late on Sunday but I was startled by a screaming housekeeping lady. I went down to the reception desk to sort that out and the receptionist DIDN'T APOLOGISE for the issue. No he even blamed me for causing this issue by not paying in advance the evening before for both nights. (sorry but if the college tells me I should pay separately each day I think it'll be ok)
Furthermore he started to SCOLD ME for my (I think understandable) bad mood and told me I should complain to his colleague who checked me in (he even asked me to wait for the colleague to arrive to his shift in the afternoon!!!)
After finally sorting out that I could stay and with which rate I went to the room to get my credit card. Again downstairs he told me he needed the room key to arrange one more night. So I went to get the key. Once again downstairs he told me he needed this paper card with my guest details as well. I was just staring at him as I couldn't believe it. Then he said to me "Do you like running the stairs up and down?"
Seriously I I hadn't had no desire to look because of one night for another accommodation I would have left straight away. How insolent!!! What part of his job did he not get? Not apologising is one thing (and really rude considering I am the guest - the customer) but hassling a guest???

In the second night the double-booked the bed above me so there was load confusion in the middle of the night despite one of the girls went down to reception earlier and asked as we assumed this issue because of I had met the other girl earlier.

So... overall: If there are no vacancies in any other accommodation in Dublin you can consider staying there (better than one night homeless) but you definitely deserve better! (And by the way the price was quite high for this crappy experience...

Room Tip: try to get one of the upper beds - so you maybe can sleep without waking from the creaking bed.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank colibri-on-tour
DublinMurielO, Public Relations Manager at Globetrotters Tourist Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Hi Colibri

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write an opinion piece in relation to your stay at Globetrotters Hostel City Centre Tourist Accommodation Dublin Ireland. As you will have seen from your stay, we have gone to great lengths to make our products and services the very best in Dublin, we have provided for your convenience a Tourist Information Desk which is manned 24/7 by informative staff, we have provided FREE Wi-Fi and Computer Zone, we have provided a nice relaxing lounge area and other rooms for socialising with friends, however, we do realise that our products and services need to be constantly updated and reviewed and that is why we say Thank you for taking the time to offer a comprehensive opinion piece on your stay at Globetrotters Tourist Hostel Dublin City Centre Ireland. Please make sure to Book Direct on Our website and LIKE us on Facebook to stay up to date with our FREE draws and Special Offers for your next visit.

Muriel O’Connor, Globetrotters Hostel, Dublin, IRELAND

Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

Considering the higher price and great reviews here, i was expecting a nice stay at globetrotters. But... Not so much. This place has skimped on providing some very important amenities.. Im not sure if they are trying to cut costs or what, but it really left a sour taste in my mouth.

There is not a single outlet in the dorms. Wifi doesnt work in the rooms. And the worst thing are the lights - guests have no control over them and they dont go out until after 11pm! And if you arrive back late or need to go to the bathroom... Sorry, too bad for you. They also snap back on bright and early so if you are looking for a sleep in you are out or luck. The walls and floors are paper thin so expect to hear everything. One bathroom for 8-10 people as well. No lockers to keep your stuff, just some broken drawers beneath your bed.

This place is clean, the beds are comfy enough and breakfast is included but its
Just not worth the price. We found a much cheaper one down the road that provided much better than this place.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Canaussie79

Hi Canaussie79

Muriel O’Connor, Globetrotters Hostel, Dublin, IRELAND

Reviewed 29 October 2012

PRO

staff
breakfast
rooms
interior (both rooms and the whole hostel)
cleanliness
building
location
service
room service

everything gets a 5/5

This building is really authentic and beautiful. You won't guess that when you see it from the outside. But once inside you see that it once was a noble apartment house. The rooms have vistorian style (wooden garnish moulding on the ceiling and walls, awesome chairs and lamps and mosaic floor in the bathroom.)

The hostel has nice rooms, floors, lobbies, breakfast room, a chinese garden, free Wifi in the ground floor, many small stairs. Its really cozy and homely.

CONTRA

The room we had (206) was on the street side so it was a little loud because the windows are some original ones.

One morning we had no warm water for 2 hours or something.

SUM IT UP

I really can recommend this hostel, which feels more like a Hotel .. our twin room had a TV, hair drier, a safe, several lamps, many towels, water glasses and a water boiler and mugs for tea (teabags and sugar included). And all that for a awesome price. Two persons for 4 night = 180EUR. In the center of Dublin. Awesome.

We plan on coming back in spring because we know a good stay :)

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not located to the street side if you don't want the noise form outsid...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
DublinMurielO, Owner at Globetrotters Tourist Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Many thanks for your kind comments and delighted to hear you will be visiting us again in Spring.
Sincere apologies for your lack of hot water on one of the mornings of your stay - I can assure you,
you will have plenty on your next visit. Again thank you for your comments.
From all at The Townhouse/Globetrotters

Reviewed 24 October 2012

I stayed with a group of young adults at the hostel. The girls shared a 10-bed-dorm, the boys fit into another one and I had a private room/no ensuite bathroom.
First, the good part: The hostel has a lot of atmosphere, great communal rooms, wi-fi excellent, dorms are crowded but good beds with drawers (though only 1 shower per 10 beds!), I slept terrific in my bed, and often the staff was helpful with information, and the hostel is in walking distance to anything you might want to see.
Now the downside: Cleanliness and staff friendliness: Everything seems to be "quick, quick, quick" or "no time". The floor in the dorm's bathroom was never!!! in 8 days done. My bathroom never had toilet paper (I have to admit I stole from the other bathrooms), the waste basket in the bathroom always overflowing with everything that is in there, the shower was mostly cold or there was no water (2nd floor only). For two days it was clogged and nobody cared - nothing was done about it.
There was not enough dinnerware/no pans/no stove/cutlery for us and we had to improvise a lot - the hostel claims it provides self-catering facilities, but you have to be very dedicated to pull this through.
The staff was sometimes nice enough, but more often outright impudent, especially to my students - they treated them as 3rd class citizens. No knocking at the door and waiting to be called in, constant reminders about everything, e.g. how they had to wash the dishes (we didn't have a problem with that, but they seemed to anticipate problems and had to act on that).
Mentioning anything that could be understood as being close to a complaint didn't help at all - nobody cared (and this is not only my experience but that of other guests as well - I overheard some conversations) and, in one incident (I'll graciously spare the hostel any explanation here) led to being screamed at (and I mean this literally!) and I felt as if I was under attack. I have never been treated like this before!
When checking the Internet again, I could find a lot of people complaining about the staff - if there is complaining, then this would be the reason. For me the management doesn't endorse the idea of customer-friendliness, they react as if personally threatened and don't look for a solution but negate the problem. And if the management doesn't show the staff how "it's being done" you can imagine how they will fulfill their duties (in the sense: the customer is never right, and they will succeed because the management supports them).
I will definitely not come back to the place, inspite of the positive aspects. They could do so much better...

Room Tip: stay in a bedroom with ensuite bath, then you will have the least problems - you will be their "...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bettina64291
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We booked a room here after a tour, as the hostel we originally planned to stay at was rubbish. We booked a double private room with shared bathroom. Our room was actually in the building next door but they are both connected inside, with 2 separate reception areas. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The room itself was clean and cosy and quiet (except for the Spanish ladies in the room opposite who spent half the night talking in the hallway!). It had a double bed with a sink and tea/coffee facilities and a tv, towels provided and a good heater (which we didn't need). The wi-fi worked in our room. The shared bathroom was clean but the shower was terrible - the whole bottom filled up with water (well over my feet) and it was basically cold. There was a good selection for breakfast downstairs.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I do apologise your shower was not such a good experience but we are now in the process of remodeling all our bathrooms in the Townhouse side. I hope we will see you back with us again sometime in the future and again your comments are much appreciated.
From all at The Townhouse/Globetrotters