staff / service
- no organization at all
- my reservation was not in their system
- woken by housekeeping (I mean not only that they did their job when I was asleep - which would be ok in a hostel; I mean: "Hello -hello- hello... you must go to the reception - I have on my list you are checking out today")
- NO APOLOGIES for these inconvenience (in more detail below)
- in stead receptionist scolding me and saying I should stay until his colleque arrives for his shift
- hassled by receptionist (in more detail below)
- in the second night (early in the morning) confusion in the room because one bed was double-booked
(in more detail below)
- one bathroom for 10 people
- room is advertised as 8 bed room but is in fact a 10 bed room
- mouldy bathroom
- housekeeping doesn't vacuum the rooms
- bathroom / "kitchenette" still dirty after housekeeping (lemon in the sink for entire stay)
- ridiculous electric installation (couldn't find light when I entered the room)
- broken bed lamp - so no light to read in the evening
- wifi breaks down every few minutes
- shower doesn't keep one temperature (hot - cold - hot - cold)
- little room with a sink but no fridge or microwave or anything - what is this supposed to be? A kitchenette???
- some of the drawers under the bed with device for attaching a lock are so broken that padlock slips through it
- many things broken (pedal bin in "kitchenette" had to be opened by hand - disgusting as smudgy with waste, hangers for jackets broken,...)
- on arrival dirty bag on my bed (ok not hostels fault but I've seen in other places signs which remind the guests not to do that)
- paper thin walls (you hear everything)
- old, wooden creaky bunk beds (if in the lower bed you wake up when the person above turns around)
I had booked on a common booking website AND emailed them about my arrival as I arrived later than their usual check-in time and so it was recommended by the online booking portal to contact the hostel. Though I got a reply by the hostel confirming my arrival time, on arrival I was told they didn't have my reservation in the system. The receptionist seemed to have no clue what to do. He asked me several times which website I had booked on and asked me several times for a specific website (which I had told him by the first time it wasn't the one I had booked with). He had no clue about the price and asked me if I could tell him the rate on my booking confirmation.
Then he took my payment by credit card (they take the card with them to the next room where they run another reception for a guesthouse or something like that so you can't really see what they are doing with your card - dodgy!!!) and when I checked it it said just the amount for one night. I told him that I had booked two nights and wanted to stay two nights. He told me I should pay the second night the next day as there was another rate applicable.
The next morning (as mentioned in the bullet points above) I got because of that woken by the housekeeping! I was in Dublin for a concert on Saturday and wanted to sleep late on Sunday but I was startled by a screaming housekeeping lady. I went down to the reception desk to sort that out and the receptionist DIDN'T APOLOGISE for the issue. No he even blamed me for causing this issue by not paying in advance the evening before for both nights. (sorry but if the college tells me I should pay separately each day I think it'll be ok)
Furthermore he started to SCOLD ME for my (I think understandable) bad mood and told me I should complain to his colleague who checked me in (he even asked me to wait for the colleague to arrive to his shift in the afternoon!!!)
After finally sorting out that I could stay and with which rate I went to the room to get my credit card. Again downstairs he told me he needed the room key to arrange one more night. So I went to get the key. Once again downstairs he told me he needed this paper card with my guest details as well. I was just staring at him as I couldn't believe it. Then he said to me "Do you like running the stairs up and down?"
Seriously I I hadn't had no desire to look because of one night for another accommodation I would have left straight away. How insolent!!! What part of his job did he not get? Not apologising is one thing (and really rude considering I am the guest - the customer) but hassling a guest???
In the second night the double-booked the bed above me so there was load confusion in the middle of the night despite one of the girls went down to reception earlier and asked as we assumed this issue because of I had met the other girl earlier.
So... overall: If there are no vacancies in any other accommodation in Dublin you can consider staying there (better than one night homeless) but you definitely deserve better! (And by the way the price was quite high for this crappy experience...
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Globetrotters Tourist Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Globetrotters Tourist Hotel Dublin