“Not worth the money”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #15 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Arrived tired at 3.40 pm to check in for one night to be told the room was unavailable. The receptionist could see my concern and arranged for a drink at the bar while I waited which was nice. However when I finally got to the room it was cold dark overlooking a courtyard full of barrels and rubbish. Most disappointingly there was no bath and all this for one night for over 300 € . So disappointing . I will never stay here nor recommend anyone to here again .

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Mollyjen
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your views on your recent visit to the Shelbourne Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologises that you were disappointed on your last visit. I have passed your feedback to the relevant managers who I am confident will thoroughly investigate. Our queen rooms only have a shower facility. This is clearly stated on our website. If you plan to return to Dublin at any point in the future please contact me directly. I will be more than happy to advise you on a more suitable room type and to personally look after you in any way I can. I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon.

There are newer reviews for The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel

Reviewed 14 September 2012

We were in Ireland for a business and pleasure trip. We spent the first four nights at the Ritz Carlton, about 30 minutes outside Dublin, in the County Wicklow. Then we spent four nights at the Shelbourne. No comparison, the Ritz is so much better, it's unbelievable, and considering the Shelbourne is just as expensive as the Ritz, I wish we'd spent all eight nights at the Ritz. We had the Michael Colin's suite at the Shelbourne. It was ok, although the a/c barely worked, it took three calls and over an hour to get a few extra towels, and we were not treated very well when we stopped for tea, after a day of sightseeing. When we got back to our room, I felt like a nice soak in the tub, and when I ran the water, it came out brown. Needless to say, I took a shower. My husband doesn't use body wash, but since the only bar of soap was the size of a half dollar, and was used up after one shower, he had to use the body wash. They never did leave an additional bar of soap. We expected more from the Shelbourne, quite honestly. The concierge was rude, which added to our disappointment. If we ever go back to Dublin, we won't stay at the Shelbourne.

Room Tip: Get a room NOT facing the street, the a/c doesn't work, and the sun really heats up the room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ginamackey

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your views following on from your recent visit to The Shelbourne Hotel. Please accept my apologises that you were let down on this visit. I have passed your feedback to our Director Of Operations who I am sure will address these issues with all concerned. I would welcome the opportunity ti discuss this further with you and I can be contacted directly on rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com. I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

My friend and I treated ourselves to breakfast in the Shelbourne. From the time we reserved it felt like a special occasion. On arrival we were given one of the famous golden booths for breakfast and the service and breakfast host was impeccable. The hotel really has that old world feel with gorgeous decor. Breakfast was delicious. A really memorable experience

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following on from your recent visit to The Shelbourne hotel. Obviously the Shelbourne is famous as a hotel but we are always happy to welcome non-residents to the Saddle Room Restaurant for breakfast. I will ensure your kind feedback is passed on to the relevant people. You may be interested to read that we have recently launched a jazz brunch in No 27 Bar every Sunday. We serve from 12 noon until 3pm, offering a delectable selection of favourites including home-made Blueberry Pancakes, The Shelbourne Full Irish, tradtional Sunday roast and Eggs Benedict. If you would like any further assistance please contact me directly. I will be more than happy to help.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights leading up to the Navy/Notre Dame Football Game played at nearby Aviva Stadium - a great venue in its own right. The Shelbourne is an historic and wonderful medium sized hotel with very friendly, courteous and professional staff. We used the bell service, doorman to coordinate our ground transportation, concierge to book restaurants, hotel bars & restaurants, and interacted with housekeeping. We were very pleased with their breakfasts and dinner. We had tea here every day, but did not have formal afternoon tea here. The hotel sits across from St. Stephen's Green and the entire area around it is well kept and friendly. It is also within short walking distance of many of the city's highlights (shopping, Trinity College – Book of Kells, St. Patrick's Cathedral, etc.) Guinness and Jameson are long walks and/or bus ride, but there is no shortage of pubs nearby to sample either product. Common areas were very clean and well decorated. Hotel had to absorb large crowds as the entire city, including the Shelbourne, were full of Naval Academy and Notre Dame Alumni, parents, and fans. The Shelbourne performed well. We were very comfortable here and will keep this hotel on our "A" list for the next visit to Dublin.

Room Tip: Stay on 1st level above ground floor and you can easily pop up the very charming staircase just behi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review following on from your recent visit to the Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted that you had such a great time and I will ensure that your comments regarding the service overall are passed on. As you mentioned the Navy / Notre Dame game was a hectic, full to capacity weekend. This makes your great comments particularly pleasing to hear. The hotel was very proud to be so involved and at the hub of such an historic and special occassion. Here's hoping they make it an annual event. If you plan to return to Dublin at any point please contact me directly. I will be more than happy to assist.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Enjoyed a wonderful experience at The Shelbourne," Champagne afternoon tea". Our glass of Moet was served to us and then we were presented with the menu, where the selection of teas to choose from was extensive. There were 4 in our party and 4 pots of tea were served to us in a very expedient manner, our tea was poured ( using a tea strainer of course), our delicately sliced sandwiches then arrived which can only be described as "gourmet", happily for us we were offered a second helping!.Our tea cups were constantly replenished with the least amount of fuss. The sorbets were served and our 3 tier cake stand then arrived with warm scones wrapped in linen on the first tier, clotted cream and the best raspberry jam I have ever tasted on the second tier. The top tier the "piece de resistance" was decked with macaroons,an edible chocolate cup filled with mouse and 2 other varieties of pastries. The food was divine, the ambience was very relaxing and soothing and the service was efficient. Definitely time for a post prandial walk down Grafton Street," Bon Appetit"!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family