“Cliffs of Moher Day Tour on St Patrick's Day Weekend”

Darby O’Gill Day Tours
Ranked #19 of 122 Outdoor Activities in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ireland’s top visitor attractions await as you travel in one of our comfortable state of the art luxury coaches, with complimentary refreshments and free Wi-Fi. Discover Ireland’s natural wonders, historic landmarks, famous places and remarkable people through fascinating tales revealed by our live on board expert storytellers. Find out more about our family friendly tours to the Cliffs of Moher
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We joined the tour on St Patrick's Day weekend 2018. I knew it would be a busy time, and considering this tour is one of the cheapest available, a lot of people signed up for the tour, and we fully filled up a double-decker tour bus.

It did seem the driver was having a hard time looking after so many people. The driver may had spoken for about 20 mins in total during the whole tour, of which 15 mins were were spent explaining/lecturing on the schedule/meeting locations. The tour did go to all the places as promised, but I felt like I purchased more like a bus ticket than a tour.

The tour may have been nicer during less busy times, but I would recommend considering other tour companies if you are visiting during peak times.

The WIFI and charging station never worked on the double-decker tour bus either.

All reviews
"the bus"
in 181 reviews
"driver alan"
in 13 reviews
"complimentary tea and coffee"
in 11 reviews
in 12 reviews
"beautiful country"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Recently my friends and I booked Darby O Gill Tours for both Splendour of Wicklow and Cliffs of Moher. They were the cheapest options and available (booked online) and worthy of the price.
Short notice bookings were fine!
Cliffs of Moher was beautiful - luckily it was a sunny day - however we I felt that we did not spend enough time Cliffs of Moher. Only 1.5 hours. The bus was comfortable with a toilet and free WiFi.
We only had one option for lunch but it was it was fine, filling with similar prices to the UK.
A tip - bring extra layers as its very chilly even on a sunny day at the coast.
Splendour of Wicklow was very rushed and short - from 11am-6pm, but very happy that we were able to go through the mountains of Wicklow which were beautiful. The bus was more compact but had an open top (and leaky) roof.
However, the weather was poor which ruined the mood a little bit, again I would advise bring layers and waterproofs, or check weather reports before booking if it is last minute.
Warning - both tours required a lot of driving through bumpy roads - therefore not really great for people who are prone to travel sickness or please take precautions against it.
On the whole, decent tours, timely if a little too rushed, but the price was good.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We had an amazing ride with Joseph-a real Irishman. It was rainy but he did cheer us up with constant jokes and entertainment.

The tour is great and we saw all main attractions around Wicklow. It caters to young and old.

Joseph can foresee everything but the outcome of the lottery. His historical knowledge is impressive. He must have seen Dublin and its surroundings growing and changing over the years.

Joseph and Darby is a must!

Date of experience: April 2018
Donagh K, Manager at Darby O’Gill Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hi Mario B

Thanks for the great review I will be sure to pass your positive comments onto Joe.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

After searching other tour companies prior to our trip, Darby O' Gill appeared to offer a good value considering the distance involved from Dublin to Country Antrim and the attractions offered during the tour. The pickup point was conveniently located from our hotel and at a decent time. Our guide, Murphy, was hilarious and we enjoyed his razor sharp wit not only while offering historical insight and background but also running commentary on whatever seemed to cross his mind. My daughter was really entertained by him and we are still laughing at his more memorable comments. Just a few recommendations for the company: The stop at Giants Causeway needs to be longer, I would recommend at least 2 hours vs 90 minutes. We were unable to see the gift shop or even stop at the toilets in order to make the rather lengthy walk from the car park to the site and back. The stop at the Rope Bridge also needs to be longer (at least 30 more min) as the queue to both cross over and back can take at least 20 min, so when you have only an hour to spend, plus the walk to the car park, there isn't much time to enjoy the ambiance of the location and take photos. I appreciated that Murphy understood this and so didn't quibble with the passengers who took an extra 5-10 minutes to return (myself and daughter being two of them).

One more thing: a few different reviews have brought up the Giants Barn Cafe stop as being overprice and poor quality, and I have to disagree for the following reasons. One, the price of food in the UK and Ireland is relatively expensive to begin with and we did not pay more at the Giants Barn than anywhere else we at (i.e. pubs, restaurants, etc.). Two, as someone who is gluten intolerant, I was very grateful that Darby O' Gill offered Giants Barn as a stop considering that they offered hot Gluten Free entrees which meant I didn't have to starve all day or pack a sack lunch. Many thanks for this. I'm not sure if that was their intention but nonetheless, this traveler is grateful for that detail.

Overall, we were satisfied with the tour. I hope that should the company choose to add to or revise this tour, that it will offer a stop in the town of Bushmills for those of us who enjoy their whiskey and would like to purchase their merchandise (unavailable anywhere else in Ireland). Thanks for a great trip Murphy.

Hi alwaysadancer

Thank you for the measured feedback and will take on board your well made points. I will pass your positive comments to Murphy who will be delighted he was entertaining. We hope you will choose Darby O Gill day tours again sometime soon.