“Fantastic Hotel, hospitality brilliant, food excellent, Great hotel”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We have been twice now to the Abbey Hotel for Country music weekends and they have been fantastic, the entertainment is the best Ireland has to offer, Angela McGettigan who organises the event is absolutely brilliant, she looks after everybody, the hotel staff are very friendly, the food is fantastic and the rooms are clean and very comfortable, we can't wait to go back in May, Mandy & Gordon Oman from the Highlands of Scotland

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river, nice and quiet
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank xMandyx

Reviewed 6 February 2012

I staeyed here for 2 nights on business with my wife . The hotel was clean , nice , cosy and the food was ok nothing exceptional but ok. The staff were friendly, there was free car parking either at the rear of the hotel or the car park nearby. The hotel was in need of a bit of modernisation but nothing dramatic. I would recommend people stay on the top (3rd) floor , because at weekends it is the main place in the town and has a nightclub on the premises. Would I stay there agin , yes .
PS I went to the hotel next store and had a meal in the bar one night , the food was abysmal , the veg. was reheated from earlier that day , I had a "homemade burger " that was floating in grease , so avoid it at night!

Room Tip: take a room on the 3rd floor to avoid noise
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2012

A real mixed bag here & let me just say from the start that I was attending a very large wedding reception which may have had a bearing on certain aspects of my stay.
I arrived to find the very limited hotel parking was already taken & so I had to park at the nearby public car park at the pier which was further than I would have wished to be from the hotel, considering that I had luggage to carry. Whilst checking in I was asked if I had found a parking space in the hotel car park & when I said that I hadn't I was then given a voucher to cover me for free parking where I was parked, so it was back out to the car to put the voucher on to the car windscreen.
My room was on the 3rd floor & it was up & down the stairs for me as the lift seemed to take forever to get to the floor that I happened to be waiting at. I found it fairly bewildering to find my room as there seemed to be an endless amount of corridors & passages & deadends. Once found, the room was okay, nothing special but adaquate for the one night that I was staying.The heat of the room (as with much of the hotel) was too much, it was way to warm to be comfortable & it felt strange to have to open windows at the end of december. The room itself was badly in need of a revamp & freshening up as it felt old & jaded to say the least. The room had a single & a very comfortable double bed, tv, trouser press, hairdryer, tea/coffee, wardrobe, dresser & luggage rack( all 3 of which were old style, mahogany coloured & well past their better days), coffee table, chairs, smoke alarm, radiator & trv but no iron, safe or minibar.
The styling of the bathroom was baffling with light brown floor tiles, blue & white wall ties, mahogany coloured bath panels etc & a white door, certainly nothing with a modern, contempory feel in this room. With a bath, shower screen, fixed shower with good heat & very good pressure, shampoo, shower gel, liquid soap, dual voltage shaving socket, extractor fan, radiator & trv.
Breakfast was okay with tea, coffee, fruit juices, toast, fruit slices, cereals & a full fry. The restaurant that the breakfast was served in was very pleasantly decorated but again, the heat was too much & the corner table that we sat at was way too cramped with no legroom.
This hotel could & should be a good hotel because of it's location smack in the centre of Donegal town. The reception & foyer area give a very good first impression as does the decor on the first & second floors with oak stairs & what looked to be fairly recently fitted carpets. For some reason the entire style & colour scheme seemed to change on the third floor & not for the better & with some fairly poor workmanship visible in the room & on the stairs it was fairly evident to me that improvements are needed.
The staff were all friendly & helpful. Checking in was quick & efficient but I was a little bit shocked that on checking out I wasn't asked the fairly standard question " how was your stay?".
So how was it? It could have been better.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Gaildorfblues
Reviewed 2 January 2012

The hotel was lovely- but the noise you get on the first floor is terrible! we asked for a room were there would be minimum noise and were put on the first floor right above the disco! which we could hear very clearly until after 4am. The second morning we asked to be moved- felt uncomfortable asking receptionist for another room- but fair enough moved us to the third floor- totally peaceful, nicer view, ect. The hotel staff (bar staff and waiting staff and cleaners) were all really nice and friendly. would recommend this hotel as long as you are on the third floor. I think as we are a young couple we were put to the first floor so you would be better stating which room-and why- rather than receptionist presuming you will b up partying and not complain about noise!

Room Tip: ask for third floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank conor m
Reviewed 19 December 2011

went to the faulty towers dinner experienec ....it was a screaming match from start to end of meal ......Sibel was at one stage running around screaming after basil with a g.string over her tweed skirt while we were eating our dinner !!!!
it was a complete disaster ...food was amazing as were abbey hotel staff .....management PLEASE use our wonderful Irish talent instead of this bunch of yahoos!!

Room Tip: never go to this experience nite !
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
12.8 km away
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to The Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!