“Beautiful Italian Meal”

Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Italian Restaurant
Reviewed 8 September 2016 via mobile

We recently stayed in Donegal (Gateway Lodge) and dined in La Bella Donna one evening.

Our meal was simply gorgeous, I started with Garlic Prawns, then Linguini with courgette & chilli. My dessert OMG, possibly the best Panacotta I have ever eaten, almost set with a great wobble that melted in the mouth, mmm! My hubby had Lasagne with Garlic potatoes.

Donegal town is very small, so if you do happen to visit please give La Bella Donna restaurant a try, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 3 September 2016

This is not my first visit to this restaurant, but it will certainly be my last. I went here with an Italian friend, my 17 year old daughter and 2 of her friends. We had to wait for a table, which we didn't mind because it was extremely busy, not just here, but the whole of the town was packed out, so we were glad to get a table. My daughter and her friends had pizza, and I had tagliatelle with porcini mushroom and chicken. My friend had spaghetti pesto. The food was just okay and we did finish or almost finish it all. The main problem was the service. The girls in the black outfits were lovely and pleasant but it was the older lady in the striped blouse who spoiled the evening for us. We did realise that they were flat out busy but she was the must abrupt ignorant waitress I have ever come across. She literally flung the plates on the table and walked off without even asking if we were ok for everything. Thankfully the other girls seemed calm enough and were able to bring us black pepper etc. We ate our meal and got out quickly. Also I paid 4.70 for a bottle of sparkling water!!! Bread was served on the table (one slice per customer) and was free, but should you require more it was available at 25 cent per slice....!!! Thankfully there are other good restaurants in the town.

4  Thank gleanndobhar
Reviewed 30 August 2016

Friends & I went for dinner and it was the day after a wedding. We were all a bit hung-over and we all just wanted either pasta or pizza. I had seen the restaurant from the outside and it really does not present itself well. We only visited after seeing the good reviews on Trip Advisor.
The service was quick and friendly, it was mid week but the place was busy as it was holiday season. The food was good and we all enjoyed it. The food is simple but very good. The interiors are far superior than the outside.
Believe all the reviews, this is a good restaurant and worth a visit if you want a good bowl of pasta or slice of pizza.

Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

We walked in off the street and were placed at a table quite quickly. The service was ok on the night however I would normally cast a blind eye at same if the food was exceptional. The food was just average. The carbonara sauce was sticky and thick and did not taste as what I would have imagined. We would have topped it off with dessert but requested the bill following the mains

It is an awful pity considering our first visit produced top quality grub albeit that was back in 2012

1  Thank mini_mad_kieran
Reviewed 27 August 2016

We had a wonderful meal here, we'll definitely be back! The owner was very friendly, and there was an excellent wine selection.

1  Thank Ellen B