“Nice stay in old world style.”

Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I was very impressed by the outside of this hotel, very nice old style red bricked hotel. Once inside the old style continued. Staff in reception were very friendly and helpful and directed us to our room in a very efficient manor. Our room(the only down side) was situated in the new part of the hotel and was quite a walk, up a flight of stairs then walk to the end of the corridor in the old part of the hotel up another flight of stairs and another bit of a walk to our room at the end of the corridor. They do have lifts in the hotel but are really really slow. It was a nice and very clean room, with plenty of room. We went out in Cork that evening and decided after speaking to a manager on duty to walk into the city it took us about 20 mins to get to our restaurant. It was a nice walk and we felt perfectly safe. After our night out we returned to the hotel, the front door was locked, we were left in by a very friendly bar man who encouraged us to the bar for a night cap. We had a lovely chat with him.
Breakfast the next morning was excellent, we could choose what we wanted from the menu for the hot breakfast and it was freshly made, with some cereals, bread, fruit, cold meats and juices as a buffet for us aswell. All in all we enjoyed our stay here and we would probably return although we will probably ask for a room in the front of the hotel the next time.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old part of the hotel near the front are easier to get to.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Analot
There are newer reviews for Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork

Reviewed 28 March 2012

When we arrived, we have reservations for a King room, we hauled all of our luggage to a room with 2 Queens and 2 Singles. This is in ONE ROOM. Went to the front desk, after 3 Assistant Managers, they finally found a decent single Queen room. Bed must have been 15 years old, and lumpy, rooms smelled musty, but clean. Bar was a nice change of pace for this establishment, with a great assortment of brews. Walked to the newer area of town for dinner, at least 45 minute walk, through some strange areas. Dinner and shopping were nice, then we found a cab back to the hotel. Seems the facility was a hospital some years ago, I wonder if there are still some of the old residents there now?

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sailandtravel
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Myself and my partner stayed here Wednesday 21st March for 3 nights, and the whole stay was excellent.

Our plane landed in the morning and we arrived at the hotel at about 11am, it was no problem for the very friendly staff to check us in early, and to give us a front facing room on the top floor. The room had a balcony with fantastic views over the city, which unfortunately due to the weather could only be really fully enjoyed for one of the nights.
The double bed consisted of 2 twin beds put together with a king size duvet placed over the top - probably not to everybody's taste, but for us this was fine as it meant we had plenty of room!
The room was much larger than some of the boxy hotel rooms I have stayed in. It was very clean and tastefully decorated, in keeping with the Georgian building. Again, I'm sure it's not to everybody's taste, but I thought it was well suited.

One downside to having the fantastic views was the very steep hill from the city centre to the hotel. After 2-3 days you certainly feel it in your legs - but an hour in the jacuzzi sorts that out! I did notice bus services that took you up the majority of the hill if you didn't want to walk.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, but the menu did look quite good. The price of breakfast did put me off a bit though - much cheaper to head into the city centre. On the other hand, the free WiFi was excellent, and saved me much money on roaming charges.

Just a couple of nit-picky points. I think the TV's could do with being updated. Perhaps flat-screen with more than just 5 channels? Also, the curtains didn't quite reach down to the window sill, so I was woken up by a very bright reflection every morning - would have been more annoying if I had stayed later in the year when the sun rises very early.

That said, we had a lovely time and I would certainly use this hotel again. The free WiFi is an excellent selling point and is what really made me make a booking here as opposed to some of the other hotels. All the staff were very friendly - especially on Wednesday and Saturday morning (forgive me, I don't remember your names!). Minor complaints aside, the room was very good and was spotlessly clean everyday, so thank you to housekeeping. The bar was well stocked and the leisure facilities also very good.

A very satisfied guest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the building, preferably on the top floor - the views are excelle...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review folloing on from your stay at the Ambassador Hotel in Cork. I am delighted you had such a positive experience. I have taken your comments on board in relation to the Televisions, we are currently implimenting a plan of upgrading our TV's to Flatscreen, this is being phased in over time. I will take a look at the room with the curtains and have this issue sorted also. I want to ensure all guests get as much sleep as they require whilst staying with us. I thank you for your kind comments in relation to our staff, they are truly one of our best assets and I am confident you will recieve at least the same level of care on your return to Cork.

Thank you again for your valued feedback,

Kind Regards,

Chris Crowley

Reviewed 26 March 2012

My cousin had booked a room in this hotel for St. Patrick's weekend. He was meant to have booked a twin but by mistake had booked a double he emailed to change this but was informed that they had no twin rooms left and that they couldn't provide any pull out type bed. Because of this I had to book another room in another hotel (see Gresham Metropole review) which I didn't mind. When we got to Cork and after I had booked into my hotel, which was right at the bus stop for city link, we made our trek up hill towards the Ambassador. The Hotel is located right beside an eerie hospital. It's a quiet area. My cousin checked in and I was terribly upset when I saw the room. Not only was it a twin room it was a family room with space for 5!!!!! I was raging! This is a perfect example of bad customer service! The hotel should have informed my cousin that the room they had alocated to him was this spacious. I wouldn't recommend to stay here if you want to see Cork City, too far away from anything, nice uphill/ down hill walk but nothing else.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review following your visdit to The Ambassador Hotel in Cork. I was disappointed to read we did not deliver the high level of customer care to you on the booking of our accommodation. I would appreciate if you could make contact with me to give me some more infomation, so I can look into what happened on this occasion, so I can in turn come back to you witha reasonable response.

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention, I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Chris Crowley
+353 21 4539000

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I am just back from a 2 night stay in this hotel and I can not recommend it highly enough. From the moment we arrived the staff were amazing. The food is amazing. The views are amazing. The location is great. The night porter, Don, absolute gentleman!!! I love Cork and go there alot so this is going to be my hotel of choice from now on!!!! I love to travel and I have stayed in alot of hotels all over the world, but the staff in this hotel are second to none!!! I can't wait to go back!!!!! Don, you are a legend. I've never reviewed anything on this before but I couldn't not recommend this hotel!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends