“Great place to stay”

Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Me and my now future wife stayed here for a long weekend at the end of February. We where so impressed with the room, the view of the city. However we can't thank the staff more from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. They where so friendly and welcoming. Thank you all for making are stay far my special than it was. We can't wait to come back.

Ps thank you to Rhona for all the arragements you made for me and to all the staff. cant wait to see you all again.

Ian & Nikki

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Spent a weekend in the Ambassador with my boyfriend at the end of February and really enjoyed our stay. The 19th Century building itself is beautiful and the Victorian theme continues inside; the hallways are wide and the rooms are cosy. Found it through TripAdvisor and a friends recommendation.

Stayed on the second floor and had a nice view over the city. Within a ten minutes walk we were on the main St. Patricks Street. Being from Galway, I can't believe it took so long for us to discover the magic of Cork!

The walk back to the hotel is uphill, but nothing major. It offers views of the city you wouldn't otherwise see, and sets Cork aside as a hilly city with a unique Irish landscape.

The staff were all very helpful and pleasant but the highlight of the stay for us was Don, on night duty. He was so welcoming and a great, friendly character. A proper legend!

I can't speak for the evening food as we had prior arrangements but overall a great experience. Thanks to all the staff for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Front rooms for view of the city, Ask about wifi availability as it was patchy at times.
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Bought Groupon deal for afternoon tea.
Asked for a weekend slot but was told none available.
Request to have afternoon tea at the bar was refused.
No attempt to please the customer or extend the offer.
Only available slots were weekdays - 'Attitude was take it or lump it'
Talked to the manager and conversation ended when he hanged up on me.
Rudeness is the word!

If the hotel is trying to promote its image doing the Groupon deal,
it has failed miserably.
Would definitely not recommend it to any of my friends or family.

2  Thank KLeongCork_Ireland
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2012

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am glad you chose this forum to express your feelings as it gives me a right to reply.

I was the manager you spoke with on the day in question, and I have to say it didn't go the way it is being portrayed.
I will admit I did end the call on you, but before I did I told you twice I was doing so, this was due to your agressive nature of the call coupled with language.
We sold those vouchers in good faith and out of the 451 we sold this has been the only complaint. I rest happy in the knowledge we tried our very best to accomodate you. The reason you couldn't have your Afternoon Tea at the bar was not due to the fact that we didn't have space, this was due to the fact we have a certain amount of Afternoon Tea Stands, which were all in use through bookings.
We go out of our way here at our hotel to strive for the highest guests care. If you take our reviews here on Tripadvisor, they say excellent things about the team here at the hoteI. I am sorry you were not able to experience that, but unfortunately during our conversation, I was not given the chance to speak and explain. I wasn't giving you the ultimate answer you were looking for so therefor I didn't care about my customers.
I can assure you I don't have a Like it or Lump it attitude towards any guests here at the hotel. So much so even though the voucher you purchased has expired, I would like to invite you here for Afternoon Tea to show you how much we value the vouchers we sold,

I thank you again for your feedback, and giving the opportunity to reply. I hope you will take me up on my invitation, hopefully we could sit and talk about the incident and leave with a friendly handshake,

Kind Regards,

021 4539000

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We had a really enjoyable 2 night stay in this hotel. The hotel is located at the top of Military hill overlooking the city. We had a little difficulty finding the hotel however once we found it we wernt disappointed. It is a nice 10-15 minute walk down hill to the city centre. The staff in the hotel are lovely,all very helpful. We had a great front room with a balcony which had a great view. The room itself was very comfortable and always nice and warm. The shower is excellent with great pressure. There is a great selection for breakfast and it sets you up for the day. We also had dinner in the restaurant on one of the nights. The selection was quite small however the food we had was to a very high standard and we really enjoyed it. Overall this hotel was perfect and I would defintely recommend it to anyone thinking of staying in Cork.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room with a balcony
1  Thank Belle084

Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for your kind words following your stay, I am glad you had the chance to the views of our wonderful city from you balcony room.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2012

My friend and I used a Groupon deal and had afternoon tea at this hotel recently. Well all I can say is that while I frequented the bar for meetings, I had never eaten there until now but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food on offer for the afternoon tea. First of all, you will not leave hungry. No limp cucumber sandwiches and cold weak tea for us. The bottom plate consisted of 3 large wraps, 4 small but substantial cheese quiches. Next layer -sandwiches, tuna, cucumber, (you gotta love a cucumber sarnie) and I gave up at this stage as I was eyeing up the next plate. We had to take a breather for the top and most decadent plate, the desserts. Scones, chocolate mousse / ganache style in chocolate cups desserts, cheesecakes. I gave up. It was impossible to finish. Never ending silver pots of tea and coffee didn't leave us disappointed. I rolled out of there before I exploded and would encourage anyone to experience afternoon tea even for the full price as there was so much food. We couldn't finish it. Well done Ambassador Hotel for excellent service to boot. Will definitely be coming back. If you do decide to go there make sure you don't eat lunch so that you've worked up a good appetite.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank crankyannie

Dear reviewer,

I read you review with a large smile on my face, When we put this afternoon tea together, your words were the response I was looking for form a guest. I will be sure to pass your comments to thwe team at the hotel, as they really work hard delivering this high standard.
I am delighted you had such a nice afternoon with us, and I hope you will visit us again soon.

Kind regards,