“The Maryborough Hotel (just average).” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maryborough Hotel & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Cork, Ireland
“The Maryborough Hotel (just average).”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We looked forward to staying at the Hotel from the outset however, when we were trying to seek information with a view to booking the last (standard) inter-connecting room was given out and as a result we couldn't travel as we needed the interconnecting room. Due to this procedural error we were moved up to an executive inter-connecting room and we were happy with this and the fact that we were now going to stay. However on the day of travel we were informed that there was a wedding on and due to the noise it wasn't recommended that we stay overhead of the wedding below and that an (standard) interconnecting room was now available in a quieter part of the Hotel (this is what we initially sought). We stayed for the two nights and found all the Staff friendly and helpful. We ordered breakfast to the room two mornings and on both mornings (to be fair) it wasn't up to standard. The lift up and down to rooms was very sluggish. We had meals at the bar, breakfast in the rooms, and the main meal in the room on Saturday night. As part of our package (3) three adults had been paid for however they clearly only included two (2) and NOT three(3) I didn't mention to Staff at the time as I wasn't sure enough but when returned home today I checked the online booking and wasn't happy. All the family found the portions of food very small but the food was lovely so it was a pity that larger portions were not given. We found that the food and drinks were expensive enough and NOT value for money. The waiting for meals to was off-putting and decided ti was best to have our meals in the rooms. The (standard) interconnecting rooms were good no bother they met all requirements that you would expect. My wife and daughter had two SPA treatments and both said that Staff and treatments were "100 per cent" ...."Brilliant". The Hotel is close to Douglas Shopping Center and ATM's which cater for all Cash Cards (a few minutes down the road). Would we go back? Unfortunately ........NO.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Magpie35
Debra O, Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Magpie35,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review the Maryborough Hotel & Spa, I am most disappointed to read that your stay was not to your overall satisfaction.

Your feedback in regards the service and breakfast has been passed on to the relevant department managers and will be dealt with in a serious manner.

We really do appreciate all feedback both positive and negative. If you would care to discuss your experience in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via e-mail debra@maryborough.ie

I look forward to hearing from you in due course. I would hope that you might consider returning to us and I really would love the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail.

Warmest Regards

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I had high expectations for my stay unfortunately it did not meet them. I purchased a spa package including one night stay and a 4 course meal in the restaurant. The restaurant was closed the night I stayed so I ate in the bar. From memory almost half the menu had supplement prices if you were staying with a package deal. This is not specified when booking a package and so technically the meal is only included if you choose from the choices with no supplement which is half the menu. My starter was Luke warm while my mains was "well done" to the point of being tough and hard. My vegetables side order was also Luke warm and slightly undercooked. If I compare my stay to a variety of 4 star hotels I have stayed in, I was disappointed. Value for money is not great in my opinion. I have stayed in better standard rooms for less. The food was almost average, not what you might expect for a 4 star hotel. Maybe the restaurant is better?! If it is different regarding value for money I wouldn't know as I booked my package believing I was eating in the restaurant not the bar. On the up side, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Poorly signposted, without my sat nav I would have struggled to find it. I went there hoping to be impressed with the possibility of future corporate business stays, unfortunatIely it didn't do what it says on the tin!

• Stayed March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TravelerExplorerD
Dear Dollybead,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was very disappointed to read you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. Firstly I would just like to apologise for the below par service you received in regards to your food and assure you this is not the level of service we pride ourselves on here at the Maryborough Hotel. Please be assured that all your feedback has been taken on board and I have already met with our Head Chef to discuss your comments and review our food quality.

With regards the supplements in Zings restaurant, in most hotels you will find that certain dishes have supplements attached, however we also offer dishes with no supplements so it does depend on what you have. Zings restaurant is now opened Tuesday through to Saturday.

I do hope you will return to the Maryborough hotel & Spa, if you would like to speak to me in more detail regards your stay please do not hesitate to contact me directly. We take it very seriously when any guest is disappointed leaving so I would be delighted to look after you personally on your next visit should you decide to return.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed with family with two young children, from checking in till departure, staff were excellent, had difficulty with room which was efficiently looked after. Great location away from cith but close enough to most attractions .

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank DinkyIRL
Dear Dingerb,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to review our hotel and also for choosing to stay with us at Maryborough Hotel & Spa.

We would be delighted to welcome you back again to Maryborough Hotel & Spa, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

although it was winer, it was a very comfortable stay, spacious rooms and friendly staff

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RosalindaBelgium
Dear RosalindaBelgium,

Warmest Regards

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

A group of 5 went to Maryborough for the weekend 24th March.some of us were only staying one night but even after check out we could use the spa facilities and lounged around the hotel having dinner there prior to travelling back to Dublin. The hotel is fabulous with well maintained gardens which the bar/lobby open out onto. this gives the feeling of being out in the country side. Its definitly a destination that you can retreat to forgot about the outside word and feel pampered. I cannot recommend this hotel enough. The rooms were fabulous, clean and spacious with lovely views of the gardens. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly and attentive. You were made to feel valued. We 100% enjoyed our stay. The food was excellent also and speaking as a coeliac they had plenty of choices and the staff understood the dietary requirements without me having to explain to them which was a refreshing change to other places I have stayed/eaten in. Their smoothies at breakfast were definily a treat along with the home made cookies and coffee on sunday before we left. All in all if you are heading to cork for a romantic mini break, girls weekend etc this is the only place i will be staying in future.

I will definitly be staying here again as will all of our friends. It was definitly value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking garden have balcony's.