See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 October 2017

In September I had a medical emergency while visiting Cork which required my husband and I to find immediate accommodation for me to recover from a retinal detachment. This required me to stay in bed in one position for ten days. This would be bad enough at home but we were far from our home in Canada. We were referred to Briarville and it was perfect. Eleanor was extremely kind and accommodating. I had to have my breakfast in my room and she bent over backwards to make me feel comfortable while I was struggling through a very tough time. Pep talks were included. Our room was on the back of the house with an ensuite bathroom and two beds. The room was clean and every day we had housekeeping provided by a very nice cheery lady. Breakfast was to order each day but we did need to let Eleanor know the night before what we wanted - porridge, full Irish breakfast or continental. I can't stress enough the kindness we were shown throughout our stay.

Room tip: Back bedroom was quiet and larger.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

I recently visited Cork City for a night , I booked into Briarville B&B as per a recommendation because of its location mainly .
I arrived at the b&b @8pm and met the owner who was lovely , she then showed me to my room.
This is where things started to go downhill. It was of a very poor standard, I felt almost claustrophobic inside it , barely room to swing a cat, I was a single person occupying a room but this really was tiny ! I instantly checked the sheets and pillows and there was a few random hairs under the pillow that made me question the cleanliness immediately . The mirror over the small sink in the corner of the room had old water stains and clearly had not been wiped in a long time , the wardrobes equally had stains that would easily be removed if cleaned !
The bathroom which was a separate room at the top of the stairs was nice but there was hair on the floor by the shower , this again could easily have been cleaned if the person cared enough
At 6.20am in the morn I heard a neighbouring guest depart the b&b, the noise in the house travels everywhere , when someone walks on the stairs it shakes the entire place ! How anyone would be expected to sleep through that is beyond me ! As if that wasn't bad enough , the room was then cleaned by the cleaner about 8am while I lay adjacent trying to rest on ! Absolutley no regard for any of her guests , having asked the cleaner later that morn why she was cleaning before any suitable checkout time she stated that she was instructed to! Clearly the owner was under pressure to get rooms ready and overlooked the small
Matter of her guests still in bed ! I got up , had a shower and came downstairs
I was met by the cleaner / helper , she gave me a basket of bread / croissants and coffee . She said enjoy and I knew by the way she said it that she understood that to be that ! I then asked was she going to take my order for a breakfast and she said " Sher your not having a breakfast I was told she said ". I was totally confused as to how they had come to this conclusion considering the
Fact that this was a b&b. The owner came in and was in a flap as she had a hair apt @9, it was now 8.40 and this clearly didn't suit ! Now here is the funny bit, she stated that she assumed I wasn't having a grilled breakfast / fry because most people are " so healthy " nowadays they just have continental . She said that she takes her orders for breakfast the night before even though she clearly failed to mention this to me upon my arrival !
She then proceeded into the kitchen to have a conversation at the top of her voice with the cleaner / helper complaining that it would take ages
Completely unprofessional and made me so uncomfortable , I actually brought this comment to her attention . The breakfast arrived and it was as bad as I had worried it would be ! Sausages were half cooked ( please see pic ) there was a hair in one of the bacon ! All the ingredients were sourced from the cheapest shop they could have been bought from . The emphasis on this b&b is most certainly not on quality ! I asked for some brown / soda bread instead of toast and there was none , none , in an Irish b&b, unheard of
This b&in cost €45 for a single room ! Far too dear for what it is , it's dated and not suitable for guests who want quietness !
Absolutely would never ever stay there again or recommend ! The house is far too small to operate as a b&b, it's a standard 3 bed ! The rooms need so much work also

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
6  Thank Lisado
Reviewed 2 March 2017

The B&B is ideally situated on South Douglas road, just a 10 minute walk from all the shopping centres in Douglas, and a bus stop is easy to catch just outside the B&B. The interior of the B&B is very welcoming, beautiful and elegant and spotlessly clean. My mum was delighted with the room and the breakfast. When she was cold, Eleanor brought an oil heater next to her in the dining room and in her bedroom. My mum had what she wanted for her breakfast and nothing was too much trouble. Beautiful B&B!

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Douglasharley
Reviewed 10 July 2016

I stayed at Briarville last month while visiting a friend in Cork and decided to stay again this month with my family who were over from England. Eleanor is an excellent host and provides guests with a quality and traditional Irish welcome and is full of life and character! The rooms are clean and well provided and there is free wifi. You can choose from a traditional breakfast or have the lighter choice of fruit and cereals and toast.
The location is excellent - the city is easily accessible by car and bus and Douglas Village is a short 10 minute walk and has pubs and eateries. The South County pub was excellent. I would definitely go back again.

Room tip: The room at the back is lovely and quiet.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Clare S
Reviewed 7 July 2016

Basic B&B on a busy main road.Sound travel between rooms! Could hear snoring each night (not from our room). The first day we were dissuaded from having breakfast until 0830(wanted it at 0730).The second day we had to have it early as we had a flight to catch.We went to the dining room.No breakfast no cooking smells.The owner had not got up! We were over for a funeral so had had no energy to argue and left.We paid 80 euro a night for a double room.

Room tip: Get a room away from the road and don't ask for an early breakfast
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
eleanortobin, Owner at Briarville B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2016

I am sad to have read this review, in my many years of running this business, i have never over slept, this was the first such occasion and for this i profusely apologize and made a reduction in there total charges which they accepted, i had many satisfactory reviews over the years also.