“Terrible service, tiny portion of reheated food”

Star and Garter Hotel
Ranked #18 of 52 Restaurants in Linlithgow
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Went here for lunch with my husband and immediately regretted it. Long wait for food and when it came it was a tiny kids size portion- i got the shepherds pie. My husbands mash had mustard all over it despite this not been specified on the menu so he couldn’t eat it. The waiter was rude and had an attitude when we complained about the wait and portion sizes. They took 10% off the meals for this but it still didn’t make it right. We were both starving after and had to go elsewhere to fill up! Will never return

1  Thank haltonmarie1 .

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed last night after a lovely night visiting friends in Polmont. Although the room was lovely, very clean and the bed was large and comfy, the set up is not really fit for purpose. We were woke very early due to the next room leaving and the walls being very thin and hearing every word. On the way down the stairs to find some breakfast (9:50, being given a 11am check out time) were were asked if we could vacate ASAP by the cleaner which although she wasnt exactly rude, explained she had others needing to book into the room 'waiting for it' so we didnt really have a choice but to go back upstairs and take suitcases with us for breakfast. I feel this was innapropriate as we had the room paid for until 11 and planned our morning around that. If the room was needed earlier, on check in had we been told 9 then we would have made other plans. Im dubious about this however as the whole restaurant/cafe/hotel was all locked up. I had tried to check in early yesturday (or just make arrangements/store my suitcase if possible) and could not enter anywhere at 11am on a Saturday. It was all closed and noone was answering the phone.

For me, i like a hotel i can interact with the staff, seek assistance and definetly not be asked to leave early when clearly on way out for breakfast (which we explained). Wouldnt stay again nor reccomend, but have visited the bar on previous occasions and would use the bar again.

1  Thank Grace W
Reviewed 15 March 2018

Very friendly and enthusiastic staff. Well run establishment working for the community. Ideally placed in the centre of Linlithgow. Thank you.

Reviewed 15 March 2018

Mother’s Day evening meal, when we entered only 1 other table in use but we waited for menus and then even longer for drinks to arrive. Waiting continued for starters to then be told,’’ I forgot you ordered 2 of those’’ as he only brought out 3 plates. Waiting continued after main course, when we gave up and interrupted waiter to ask for Sweet menu, only for 1 of the sweets to be wrong and taken back. Overall the quality of the meal was average for pub grub but so disappointed in service. A smile, some care and attention don’t cost anything but mean so much, sadly lacking in our experience.

2  Thank John T
Reviewed 14 March 2018

It has been sometime since we ate at the star and garter hotel. We came here for lunch. First of all we were told the cash machine wasn’t working so fortunately we had money. We were the only ones in the restaurant. I ordered theThai fish cake to start and shared it. It was nice but the sauce was too hot. My daughter had the sea bass which was lovely. My husband had fish and chips, it was ok. I had haggis etc. The turnip was cut into large squares. Everything on my plate was barely warm but I couldn’t be bothered to send it back and wait until it came back out of the microwave piping hot. Why couldn’t it have been hot to start with. Really disappointing. The presentation was excellent but didn’t follow through. Service was friendly. Wouldn’t rush back. X