“Only used the Restaurant” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dumbuck House Hotel

The Dumbuck House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dumbarton
Scotland
“Only used the Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We drive past this hotel almost every day and finally got round to having a meal there last night. The car park is very dark and there had clearly been some works happening during the day (very uneven) but when we got round to the front door (if you have lights fitted there, turn them on!) we entered a very pleasant reception area and were welcomed by the (I presume) manager who took us straight into the restaurant.

I don't know what it was like before the refurbishment, but it is now quite up to date, but some tables are a little dark. Overall though, it looked quite good.

The menu is very reasonable, a good variety of dishes although it does not seem to be possible to get a side order of vegetables with the main course.

Waiting staff very attentive, but food was a little slow coming out (not very busy at the time).

All in all, reasonable proces, reasonable food, nice surroundings a friendly staff; you could do far worse than have a meal here.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
South Normanton, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

After reading the reviews of this hotel I cannot believe that I stayed in the same hotel as some of the other people who have written on here about their experience. I have stayed here many times over the period August to November 2011 and found it to be excellent value for money. The staff under the management of Lee, always friendly and extremely helpful. The quality of the food and the service in the Restaurant is First Class. It has a well stocked Bar with very friendly and experienced staff. The rooms are always clean and tidy, and are also of a good size. My work takes me all over England and Scotland and I have yet to find a better place to stay. I would advise anyone to try this Hotel and am confident that would agree with me.

Room Tip: All rooms accessed by stairs.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
4 Thank Kevin S
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

I have stayed at the Dumbuck occasionally when visiting family and although the stay was always ok...the hotel was bit shabby.

HELLO new Dumbuck ..
Well I thought I was in a different Hotel.. It's new, fresh, modern very chic... Beautifully decorated.

Upon arrival I was greeted whom
I assume was the manager, who welcomed us, took us to the newly refurbished budget rooms even offered to carry our bags which you see very ofern.. £40 we paid and it was the best room ive stayed in for years.. New bathroom with separate shower, new bed,linun even towels.
Fantastic and very roomy..
There was a couple of things that was missing such as a hair dryer, and mirror and glasses for the barhroom. however I was informed this would be rectified immediately.
We were planning to eat out, however Lee (manager) talked us into trying the new restaurant and offered us a complimentary glass of wine if we dined.. So of course we did.. Bangers n mash was fantastic and the sea bream was so lovely and succulent,
the ambiance the service, music and staff. Made our weekend perfect.
A great thank you I will certainly be coming back and wish the new hotel all the best. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2011
      Rooms
6 Thank bigjackie
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

Having just been reopened after flood damage we decided to try the refurbushed restaurant. Our bottle of white wine was warm and our replacement came in a large ice filled jug (presumeably from the kitchen) as they did not have any wine chillers. I was finished my starter before my wifes one arrived. After ordering a steak i was told 15 mins later that this was not available. The staff were obviously new to the business and not customer friendly when dealing with my complaint about the time taken for our meal to arrive. After complaining to the manageress i could see where the restaurant staff learnt ther manners as she had absolutely none. I have been dining here for a good number of years but have noticed a downward turn since it was taken on by the present owner. Previously it was owned by the present owner of the nearby Abbotsford hotel when it was proffessionaly run in all depatments. I definately wont be spending my hard earned money in this very inexperienced run establishment.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank james c

Travellers are raving about these Dumbarton hotels

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

This hotel has just been reopened after a major flood. I have not stayed there however have eaten in the restaurant. Service was very good and the food was of a high standard. Will definitely return. New manager extremely helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ginger005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumbarton
1.0 km away
19.0 km away
Lodge on Loch Lomond
5.0 km away
Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort

Been to The Dumbuck House Hotel? Share your experiences!