“A tourist trap”

Bali, Indonesia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A tourist trap”
Reviewed 2 November 2014

I visited the Surathura Spice garden along with my wife on october 2014. We were brought there by our driver. After a short visiting of the garden it started raining and we recovered into the shop where we were introduced to the various herbal remedies for sale. Then a neck massage was offered for free (but later they asked for money…), it was still raining and we accepted. The man massaging my wife tried to touch her breast and spoiled our mood. Then we were offered an interview with the doctor of this place. he checked our pulse, tried to scare us by announcing dangerous diseases and ended up suggesting the purchase of his very expensive herbal medicine. After a lot of pressure, while I was feeling very uncomfortable and confused, i finally bought their detox herbal treatment: Suwa Sampatha + Stula Mardani at an exorbitant price. I regret I was so stupid to fall in their trap, I don't even think these herbal product are good at all, simply because the main purpose of their business is to cheat tourists, not to cure people. If you go there don't buy anything.

Visited October 2014
8 Thank PieroBali

• Thai first
Siauliai, Lithuania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Killed a good Sri Lankan impress”
Reviewed 22 October 2014

We visited a Sarathura garden last May. Environment organized well and different plants, interesting story. Then guide started advertising. Especially strongly exhibited hair removal cream that removes hair just after 21 min. Sister did shopping in the first day, I still had to doubt. After a few days I came back - naïve faith in all-powerful Ayurvedic medicine. They proposed by the neck massage, I did not want it, but they force this proposal. Not limited to the neck, crumple backside, and include the chest. It was hideous. Bought oils and pills from pain and improve the mental health - 4 oils drop should be used at the wool and after you need breathe it. Pills taken in the morning in the evening. Price we paid both with sister - 82610 LKR. Health no improved, I started to feel worse. I am writing a letter, and please return the money, but no..... Accidentally wool with the oil touch to the pen and a knife - all plastic parts melted. And these products they offer for people. If people are aware about - it does not happen. Typically, the drivers suggest to visit this garden. Yes, take a look you can, but do not buy. The drivers receive a premium from the money left by tourists. The sad thing in this story that's gone to trust in Sri Lanka Ayurveda and the people there.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Dalia J
Taif, Saudi Arabia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“WARNING ADVISORY!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

As with most other TA reviewers, my experience was much in common with them. My driver stopped here and I was actually interested in Ayurveda medicine/herbal medicine. I was met by a "student" who claimed he was in training to become an ayurvedic doctor. He seemed to be very knowledgeable about the spices and herbs that are on display along with the several products "available" in the shop. The tour was quite nice but then at the end...WARNING...PRESSURE SALES TACTICS! There was emphasis on certain products especially the higher priced items (i.e. the Suwa Sampatha/Sthula Mardhani...aka Natural Slimming Magic). I was given a pulse reading by the in-house "doctor" who gave me a diagnosis of certain problem areas and ultimately gave recommended "medicines" of course for an extended time which meant requiring more "medicine" and MORE SALES! Among other items I bought the "natural" hair removal cream. The properties of the demo in the garden versus the purchased product was not the same...smell, look/color, and effect on the skin. To me it is like Nair or Veet!

Overall, go if you want to see the gardens but CAUTION on the products and sales at the end!

Visited July 2014
5 Thank flyhi_nelson
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“It's a scam, don't go!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

These people are crooks. Tour with loads of mumbai jumbo about medicinal value of spices then the sting, trying to sell herbal medicines of doubtful quality for prices in excess of what you'd pay in London or Paris. Outfits like this give the tourism industry a bad name. Don't go.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank shamboji
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
216 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Nice garden and smily doctor - but overpriced spices and other things”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was my 2. spice garden in Matale - recommended by our driver. Nothing special against the first, and I thing, all of them are the same: garden with trees, bushes, plants (I really like cooking and recognize these plants), so called doctor, samples and the shop. To avoid high priced, non scanned, unknown products, only buy some overpriced spice and go away, if they allowed. I belive the good influence of these things, but I don't belive, that they need to be so overpriced (and buyd by local people at the same price) and be so pure and so good and so ugly packed. And don't forget about of the provision of the driver from your shopping! - but this is the not only reason for overpriced stocks.

Visited June 2014