“Let down by inconsistencies.”
Review of Brig O Doon Hotel

Brig O Doon Hotel
Ranked #13 of 215 Restaurants in Ayr
Price range: USD 41 - USD 52
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

We were a chance table of 2 for lunch on Sunday. The food was fantastic, we both had the duck main course and then I had the Drambuie creme brulee and my partner had the Alloway tart.
What stops me from giving full marks was that the service left something to be desired. When we arrived noone offered to take our coats, even though every other table after us was. We were not given the option of a drinks list ( we arrived shortly before 12.30, so if it was a licensing issue then I am more understanding). My partner had ordered a OJ/lemonade without ice, which was correct the first time but came with ice the second. For choosing desserts we were also brought the chef's recommendations menu for the day, which we had not been given when we first sat down, whilst I did take the dessert from this menu, upon seeing the mains on offer I might have gone for that over what I had. The final small issue was when the waitress brought over the cutlery for desserts she asked who was having "the dessert", this confused us as we had both ordered (when we examined the bill we noticed that my brulee had been put through as open food main, so maybe that is why she thought only one dessert was ordered).

They are only small things and the experience as a whole was great, but we felt that it could have been better and we're slightly disappointed after hearing such great things.

1  Thank Callum M

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Were visiting for a wedding at the famous Brig O Doon and was absolutely blown away. Fantastic hotel, restaurant, gardens and atmosphere. Enjoyed the whole ambience of the place which made the wedding day great. Great drink selection food was yummy. Would recommend for a feed or function.

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

We went here for dinner. The ambience was perfect. We had our dinner downstairs near the bar. It was a relaxed atmosphere though the very soft lighting meant that we had to use torches to read the menu! There were nine of us. And all of us had a good evening.

The food was good. I had scallops with black pudding for starters and the mixed fish grill washed down with Chilean white wine. The others chose different options but we were unanimous that it was all very enjoyable.

Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

We (me and my husband) had a lovely dinner. All 3 courses were lovely.
Absolutely stunned with the place. Attentive stuff and lovely atmosphere.
High standard and for sure become my fav one.
Thank you.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Christmas Dinner here on a lovely table near the tree with views over the river. Had to ask twice for a basket of bread as there wasn't enough for the people who had selected pate as a starter - took an age to come.Turkey dinner arrived with 2 sprouts and minimal veg, plus no cranberry sauce - so asked for some which came - again took too long.
Service very average.