“Excellent Saturday Night”

The Drouthy Cobbler
Reserve with
The Drouthy Cobbler is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 88 Restaurants in Elgin
Price range: USD 6 - USD 32
Description: Nestled down a medieval close (a Scots word for alleyway) in the historic centre of Elgin lies The Drouthy Cobbler, a bar-café focussed on good drinks, honest food, conversation and community. The Drouthy has firmly established itself with a reputation for high standards and continual improvement. A changing menu of specials is created daily with the best local produce available from the market. The team of chefs start work early preparing everything on site and take real pleasure and pride in producing great food which is accessible to everyone. Service commences at 8 am with breakfast, lunches are served until late afternoon with evening meals and bar bites running into the night. At weekends The Drouthy Cobbler is a popular brunch spot - pair it with cocktails or coffee! A great selection of local beers and well-chosen wines complements the menu and after meal drinks are well catered for with speciality coffees, liqueurs and over 150 single malt whiskies. Outdoor seating in the 'close' and adjacent beer garden provides ample opportunity for al-fresco dining - when the weather permits! This relaxed, informal dining experience with the finest local, seasonal produce in characterful surroundings and attentive service is really not to be missed. Our kitchen is open from 8 am until 8 pm though the bar is open until 12:30 am Sunday to Thursday and 1:30 am on Friday and Saturday.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were led here by the reviews but what excellent food and wonderful staff. A treasure of a place..yes noisy but fun..maybe a few bits more on walls would dull the noise but we thoroughly enjoyed.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We were taking my Mother-in-law to Elgin for the day, as it was her birthday. Knowing we would be having lunch whilst there, my husband checked out places in advance, and as the reviews were good, thought, we’d be safe. This was our first mistake … I should have done the research. I would have checked the menu.
We hadn’t booked a table, and as this was the Saturday of the Easter weekend, we though it may be busy, so we headed there early … around 1215, hoping to arrive before the rush. On arrival, we were met by a dog lying across the step, and it was disinclined to move and let us in. It appeared to have a bed at the side of the door, so assume that it has some connection to the establishment. If I had had my Mum, rather than my Mother-in-law with me, we would have been turning around, and heading off somewhere else as she has an absolute terror of dogs. So not a great first impression.
The place is spotless, several staff on duty, and a friendly chap guided us to a table, which was wedged between 2 occupied tables, despite there being numerous other vacant tables available. This made it rather neat for getting in about … but we managed. He brought us menus and asked us if we wanted to order drinks. We ordered a pint of coke, a rose wine and a Pinot Grigio. Anywhere else I have been, I have been asked what size of wine measure I would like i.e. small 125ml, medium 175ml or large 250ml. We were given no option.
The lunch menu was very limited, and it was noted that there were other options on a board on the wall, though they appeared to only be available in the evening. When the drinks were brought, the chap waiting on our table was asked if these were available, and he didn’t know, so went and checked. He returned and said, that we could order from there. I asked about the meat platter….’Was it just meat?’ … or ‘Did it have bread and dips/pickle with it?’. I was informed that it was ‘Just meat!’. I asked if was possible to have a piece of sourdough bread that was shown on the menu with another item, and I also ordered the humous, so it would not be too dry. The others in the group ordered fish & chips and the pasta with salmon.
The fish & chips was a good size portion, though the chips were not very crispy, and the diner who had this left many of them. The pasta was apparently very good. The meat platter, however, was awful. For £13.50, I was expecting something large enough to be classed as a sharing platter. What arrived, would have struggled to be called a starter. Added to that, there was no sourdough bread, instead, there was a slice of ‘hot’, toasted French bread on the plate, alongside the very small selection of cold meats. The meat appeared to be swimming in some kind of greasy oil. There was also a very large bowl of some type of relish. Therefor, the humous was not required. The waiter had therefore told an untruth, I assume to get me to purchase something extra.
When he came around to see if everything was ok, I told him politely what was wrong, and explained I wouldn’t be eating the humous as it had only been ordered as he had given me incorrect information. He apologised and said he would take something off the bill. I assumed at the very least, he would take the humous off, as I had indicated, I would not be eating it. Believing the matter had been dealt with, we asked for the sweet menu … only to discover that there Is no sweet menu at lunch time. This takes me back to the start, where had I researched the venue, I would have checked the menu in advance.
Instead, we opted for coffees. Another chap, who I assumed to be a manager/supervisor, came and spoke to us, saying that the coffees would be complimentary due to the mix up. He then saw the plates, and said, that I hadn’t even been given sourdough … which I already knew. I asked about the humous, and he wanted to know what was wrong with it. So, I had to explain ‘again’, that it had only been ordered due to the wrong information provided by the waiter. He confirmed it would be deducted.
The 2 americanos came as 2 half cups of black coffee. We were told that these were complimentary as there had been a problem, so we never mentioned the fact that they were only half full. The Cappuccino came as a full cup.
Then we came to pay the bill …. The humous had not been removed, and had to be removed by a manager, the coffees were complimentary, but there was no discount on the meat platter as had been offered by the waiter initially. This wasn’t a cheap meal – it was around £57 for 3 main courses and 3 drinks. We would pay this in Aberdeen. The difference is that in Aberdeen, we expect to receive a level of service. If there is an issue with a meal, it would almost always be removed from the bill, or replaced. In this instance, there was not even a discount on the meal.
When we left, the dog we stepped over to get in, was still on the step outside, although, it had moved off to the side.
Had this incident been handled differently, and had there been desserts available, we would have stayed here a good bit longer, purchasing another couple of rounds of drinks, and this review, whilst still containing the problem, would have read a lot more positively.
Would we go back? No.

5  Thank A S
Reviewed 13 March 2018

Stumbled upon this place by accident and glad we did.
Staff were very friendly and knowledgeable of their products.
Very nice lunch had and very reasonably priced.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Showing our family round some of the local haunts and the Drouthy was a must! Excellent service and food.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

friendly staff with great service.
very knowledgeable about the drinks and products sold.
fab bar snacks menu and great quality meals