1,033 results
All reviews highland cows charlie chaplin cie tour executive room beautiful hotel lovely grounds underfloor heating an upgrade huge bed loved this hotel dining room a bit tired evening meal lovely view main course waiting staff enjoyable stay
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Great hotel. Beautiful building. I was part of CIE tour. Rooms were good size. Modern appointments. Food was OK. Bartenders and waitstaff were very friendly. Main desk staff was great. Short walk to the sea

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Murray M, General Manager at Muthu Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Thank you for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us whilst on holiday touring Scotland.
I am pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly and front desk staff looking after you.

Reviewed 12 May 2018

Had stayed a number of times previously and this was the first since becoming part of the Muthu Group.
Check in was quick and was sent over to the courtyard. This was the first time I'd been given a room here. It's worth noting that the doors to these rooms don't automatically lock and you need to physically lock them when you leave. Room was large and comfortable. The bathroom had just a shower which was okay but some folk do like a bath. The only disappointing thing in the bathroom was the cheap looking sachets of shower gel and shampoo - they didn't smell that great either!
Didn't have dinner at the hotel as was meeting friends in Nairn but the menu looked okay, if not a wee bit expensive. You need to enter a code to open the outer door to the courtyard rooms and I wasn't particularly late back to the hotel and it was darkish but I couldn't see to enter the code. Had to use the light on my phone. It would also be difficult if you'd had a few beers as it was quite fiddly.
Had a comfortable sleep but did find the walls between the rooms quite thin and could hear voices in the next door room. Also, was woken up just before 7am by a tour bus starting its engine and it sat there idling for at least 15 minutes so a longish lie was out the question.
Breakfast was just the thing to start the day with lots of choice.
Unfortunately the wi-fi wasn't working so couldn't use my laptop so I missed being able to do some work and given I was up on business, this wasn't ideal.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank adss40
Murray M, General Manager at Muthu Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

Thank you for placing a review on trip advisor. I note your feedback on the various points and I will look at easier ways to gain entry to the courtyard rooms especially after a few malt whiskies.We will look at this going forward.I am sure we look to improve presentation of toiletries as well over time as we try to keep improving on customer experience.
My apologises that Yi fi was not available during your stay, this is very unusual. Our service provider has been working on rectifying the issue.We will speak with the driver when if we have a coach in to try to avoid this if at all possible
I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay overall & hope we can welcome you back at some point in the future

Reviewed 11 May 2018

I remember the Cameron (and many similar hotels) from my childhood where I spent many happy (!) days parked in lounges while my parents played golf. (I was once detained by the hall porter of Gleneagles for riding my bike down a long bedroom corridor).

The Cameron, now part of the small but interesting Muthu chain has been sympathetically re-imagined and this was a very enjoyable short stay. Reception was quick and competent (despite a coach party checking in and out) and the local staff was cheerful and friendly. My room was in the more modern annex and was large and very well furnished. The bathroom was also large, did not have an annoying fan and had a shower cubicle and bath - perfect for me. Bedlinen and towels are good quality. The toiletries were only adequate - captive shampoo bottles in shower but separate 1970's shampoo in sachets and soap. This had an awful fragrance and I had to put it in a plastic bag. Wifi in the rooms was good and easily accessed. The bathroom had face flannels but no bathrobe. I was also surprised not to find some complimentary mineral water.

I was on a dinner B&B rate and ate in the Charlie Chaplin brasserie which is in a conservatory extension and on a fine early summer evening was a great place to eat. Very good Table d'hote menu - the salmon duo was very good as was the fillet of steak/feather blade combination. The cheese board was at a supplement which I think is a little mean. I had a reasonably priced glass of Zinfandel Rose which was a little acid. Breakfast, in the restaurant proper was very good indeed. Cooked to order with options including porridge (hurrah!) and kippers.

A beautiful location in great surroundings and well worth its 4 stars. A bit of attention to the bedroom amenities would make it a much better property. As it is, I shall be back sometime during the summer.

Incidentally, the hotel is only 20 minutes from Inverness/Dalcross airport.

Room Tip: New extension rooms are generally larger. Older rooms can be large/small and may have marginally better views of Moray Firth and beyond.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Stewart K
Murray M, General Manager at Muthu Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Thank you for your very kind review.We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.I note your feedback on the room, all these issues are under review and some will be introduced very shortly as we look to improve what is on offer to guests staying with us.It is also pleasing to hear that you enjoyed the food and I will pass your feedback to the kitchen team.
It is good hear to hear you will make a return visit and we look forward to welcoming you at that time

Reviewed 11 May 2018

Hotel had large,very imposing frontage on arrival. We had a twin room which was very spacious and comfortable, with large bathroom and overlooking the garden. One thing we noticed was that the carpet was very threadbare as was the next door room,pointed out by its occupants. The drinking tumblers were plastic - not glass and the toiletries were basic. There was a bar of soap, two sachets of shampoo and shower gel in dispenser.
The breakfast had good choices and the hot food was served to the table. After our meeting 45 of us had a pre arranged lunch which we had previously paid £14. This consisted of one course, choice of beef stroganoff and sweet and sour chicken and rice, followed by coffee. Most ladies felt this was not good value.
Hotel could benefit with an upgrade in places.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Isobel E

Thank you for your review . There is small area of wear on a very small number of room carpets.We have already re carpeted a number of rooms due to this and have only a few left to finish, which we will be completing very shortly.
We do not put glass in the bathrooms to avoid a situation where there may be glass broken in area where a guest maybe walking without footwear. Although these are plastic we feel they are of a good quality for there purpose.

There was also a cold meat & salad option with the two hot main dishes and we were accommodating on other catering arrangements over the whole event.A two course option could have been arranged if requested and although this would have been provided at a slightly higher cost, would possibly have presented to you as better value for lunch

We are glad overall that you found your accommodation comfortable and spacious & if the meeting is held here again at some point in the future we will certainly look to accommodate a different lunch alternative for you.

It was a pleasure to host the event at the hotel, everyone I met at the event was lovely to meet and hope that we can host this for you again at some point in the future

Reviewed 6 May 2018

It was our first visit to the Newton hotel and we couldn't have felt more welcome. My husband has a walking frame so Iam used to carrying our case but the receptionist rushed out to collect our case from the taxi and insisted on carrying it up to our room which was the largest bedroom we have ever seen with an equally large bed. The afternoon tea we had ordered was delicious and despite being very busy with a wedding all the staff were delightful all the time we were there

Room Tip: Executive rooms with even numbers
Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Moyreen W
Murray M, General Manager at Muthu Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased to here that you enjoyed your stay with us. You were very complimentary of the staff when I spoke with you and I will also be following up on some of the other feedback you gave me during your stay.
The afternoon tea is always a treat,and I look forward to meeting you again when we hope you may consider a trip back to the hotel as an option for you in the future

Best wishes