1,251 results
All reviews food stop small lift buffet style railway station bit dated central location high street haggis superior room reception staff public areas coach tour the jacobite steam train black pudding town centre enjoyable stay breakfast was excellent
Reviewed 5 April 2018

This is the second time my wife & I have stayed here, since our last stay there seems to be a problem with the hot water supply on the second floor. The breakfast service had also gone downhill with the items not being restocked up regularly & not always available for the set breakfast times. We found no other problems & the staff are polite & the hotel is in a great location. Wi-Fi is available all over the hotel, the hotel is going through some refurbishments & the workmen use the lift without any thought of the hotel customers, we even saw the workmen having breakfast with the guests something we think is wrong, as they had their working clothes on, maybe the manager was off that day! Not sure we would stay again, if we do it is the location that would do it.

Room tip: If you want a full breakfast get down early
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
alexandramanager2017, Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay.

I'm sorry to learn of the problems you experienced with hot water during your stay. Once the problem was brought to our attention, we immediately rectified the problem. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you were caused.

I have personally spoken to our restaurant team and reiterated the importance of ensuring the breakfast buffet is monitored continuously to ensure our guests have the best option at all times.

With regards to your other comments, please be assured these will form part of our regular reviews as we appreciate all forms of feedback.

Your kind words about our staff have been passed on to all departments for feedback.

Thank you once again for taking the time review your stay, and we do hope to welcome you back in future.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

we stayed here for three nights. The hotel itself is located very close to the town centre. The hotel itself needs a bit of TLC, the lift was very slow although it finally made it to the first floor :-) The carpets on our landing need replacing as they are beginning to show their add and getting a bit threadbare. Our room was comfortable and clean but again was showing its age, the bathroom door stuck and the bath enamel was a bit chipped. I'm not certain that the extractor fan was working and the toilet seat slipped which could have been dangerous :-) we did point these issue out to the staff and they did tighten up the toilet seat but I think their version of being straight is the same as my - oh well we cant all be DIY experts
My main moan was the lack of WIFI in the room apparently the free one wouldn't work upstairs as the system couldn't reach each room, however you could pay £5 per night for the premiere version which did - seems to me they are trying to make a few bob here as i'm sure with a repeater pout in it would work. Anyway downstairs the free WIFI worked a treat
Now for the good bits -

The staff were very helpful and polite, food was great the meal we had ion the bistro was excellent and breakfast again was very good. I see that someone stated that the food kept running out but I didn't notice that ok they did run out of glasses for the fruit juice and the coffee was very good from a machine.

Would I come again I might but as I said at the start it does need a bit of a refurb which I notice on previous comments they are doing but I didn't see any work taking place

Room tip: deont get a room that look into the courtyard
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
alexandramanager2017, Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Good Evening

Thank you for your recent review of your stay.

All feedback in important to us be it positive or negative.

I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with our Wi-Fi, our policy in the hotel is that it is free down stairs but if you would like our premium Wi-Fi that is avalible upstairs then there is a charge of £5 per day which is a different network with password, If you book direct with the hotel or upgrade your room then we will include the premium service free of charge.

I can say that we are in the middle of a refurbishment of rooms at the moment on our 4th floor, with all stair carpets getting renewed also, with the lift and public areas in the not to distant future.

I will however pass on your kind comments about the staff and the food.

I hope to welcome you back to the Alexandra Hotel in the near future, if you like you could contact the hotel direct and we could make this booking for you.

Kind Regards

Angela Nolan

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Old style hotel with good free parking within easy walk of shops, restaurants & things to do. The room was comfortable & clean although there were way too many chairs (3) in quite a small room and only a tiny TV. The hotel could do with a serious makeover. Buffet beakfast had a large selection but the hot food was barely warm, which was disappointing. The ancient, small lift was very creaky and we had to wait 10 minutes for it to arrive on our departure as we couldn't manage our suitcase down the stairs.

Good Evening

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

All feed back is important to us.

I can say we are in the middle of a refurbishment of rooms at the moment with all our hall and stair carpets also getting renewed, our lift and public areas also in the not to distant future.

I will however look into your other issues that you had with your room, and that the breakfast was not hot enough for you.

I hope to welcome you back with us again in the future.

Kind Regards

Angela Nolan

Reviewed 3 April 2018

we spent one night here booking late for Easter, dinner B&B £75 for two with a Sunday special deal. Staff are friendly but the hotel is very tired. Sunday dinner was gloomy in the half empty hotel dining room and not the bistro next door which was disappointing. Sample menu on the website shows items that you could pay extra for eg steak or cheeses but not on the menu for the night. Ultra-weak and not very hot coffee was served in flasks at a station rather than from the bean2cup machines in the dining room, portions of poached sole were enormous but bland. Breakfast was good but the buffet kept running out of cooked items, eg fried eggs, orange juice and glasses. Bacon needs to be cooked longer. The hot water wasn't working, so showering was tepid at best, the bathrooms desperately need doing up, very chipped basin. There is one bouncy juddery lift which a plasterer had commandeered at breakfast time. The location is close to the centre and shops, the Loch Eil shore, some rooms at the front might have nice views but ours looked out onto an inner courtyard, good wifi. Stair and hall carpets are threadbare the place desperately needs done up.

Date of stay: April 2018
alexandramanager2017, Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to learn that your stay was not what you had expected, nor what we strive to achieve.
We appreciate all forms of feedback as this allows us to identify any areas for improvement and I thank you again for highlighting the concerns you experienced and we would love to welcome you back again in the future to show you our commitment towards continual improvement.

I can confirm that we are continually investing in the hotel and are currently in the process of completing the next phase of our bedroom refits. We are also in the process of updating our lift and public areas to be addressed in the not to distant future.

Please be assured that I have noted your comments and these will form part of our regular reviews as it is our aim to ensure that our guests and visitors have the best experience possible when either staying or dinning with us.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for one night during the Easter bank holiday, it was a last minute trip, we paid the incredibly expensive 140£ rate because we simply had no other option but stay here for the night. The place was a shambles: there was a cold draft in our bedroom all night and we had no hot water in the morning. The carpets were dirty and the room stank. The staff informed me they had an issue with the boiler (probably broken down because it was as old as everything else in the hotel)

Overall a bad experience. The place complete refurbishing, otherwise put the rates down, wouldn’t have complained at all had it been 60£ for the night...

Thankfully i got a 30% discount once i complained about the room the morning after.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to learn of the problems you experienced and would welcome opportunity to discuss this further with you.
If you agree, please contact us directly at alexandramanager@strathmorehotels.com at your earliest convenience.