“Delicious!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 October 2017

We have eaten here twice and both times the food has been wonderful. The staff is very attentive and if the waiter doesn't know the answer to a question, the chef will come out of the kitchen and talk with you.

1  Thank Susans6642

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely atmosphere in this small and clearly popular restaurant, so best to book ahead, especially in the evening. Delicious Italian fare. Most recently had the sea bass and king prawn special which was served with a rich creamy sauce. Have enjoyed pasta dishes on previous visits. Very friendly staff make dining here very enjoyable.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

As soon as we saw the winding brae up to Little Italy and then walked in, we had a good feeling. It is a small place but cosy and not cramped, and the red checked tablecloths looks genuinely charming. The owners seem to be from southern Italy (Naples), and it does have the warmth and earthiness of the south somehow, as opposed to the chic, slick modernism of the north. It's only just a few feet from the Eastgate Centre, but you do feel you've stepped onto Italian territory. You definitely need to book here, and if it's warm enough & you want informal, you can sit outside for a drink or pizza.

The service was efficient but friendly, and you do feel you can ask questions. There's a wide menu and several specials a day. The choice of wines or beers is good too. We mixed and matched with a la carte dishes and a special.
For a starter my husband had bruschetta which he enjoyed tho he does like his bread a little crisper. I had a delightful dish of grilled sardines, which were v tasty indeed, nicely seasoned. For a main I had sea bass and vegetables, a most beautifully cooked full fillet with a mystery sauce. The sauce was stupendous, with little bursts of peppercorn and aniseed (maybe fennel?) I say mystery as I asked for the recipe but the waiter said the cook keeps it secret and wouldn't even tell him! I would certainly recommend trying it. My husband was equally pleased with his lasagne, which he gave 9/10. There's only my own and a certain place in Glasgow that get 10/10!

We don't usually have dessert but we knew we were onto a good thing here and we ordered tiramisu fresh made that morning and tartufo, a sort of chocolate and ice cream cake. Both were light and delicious, and the tartufo was every chocaholic's dream. We shared with each other to get the benefit of both.

I really do recommend eating here: It's particularly nice to eat early before it gets very busy, but even as we were leaving at 6.30, it was filling up fast. We had just come back from Venice, and this was nicer than some of the trattoria we found there. It's quite reasonable too, and won't totally break the bank: It's probably a few pounds more per item than in a bigger restaurant, but then the quality is high and the whole experience much nicer. With a tip we paid roughly £90 for 3 courses and a bottle of wine but were content with that. I'd also recommend checking out the specials carefully, as you may be in for even more of a treat if you try one or some of those.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

We ate at Little Italy on a Friday evening and we were well advised to book earlier in the day. The restaurant although small was packed. The food was great and the service outstanding. The atmosphere was buzzing and it was clear that everyone was enjoying themselves. Would definitely recommend

Reviewed 8 October 2017

It was our 24th wedding anniversary and we had never been to this " Italian Restaurant" before but my wife had read that the Chef was from Bari in Puglia, a place that I know well having worked in Taranto for 5 years so we booked for a night of lovely food and wine.
We were greeted by a waiter who took our name as we had booked a table and seated us in a nice window table for two. The food menu and wine & drinks list was on the table so I dived into it looking for my favourite which SHOULD have been a Primativo from Puglia but it was from Salento which is the pirate version which any puglian would tell you, so bad start, settled for a beer Moretti instead but the other half tried a glass of wine which she liked. The only Italian who was restaurant side was a female from Napoli and I asked her about the Chef and the wine but she said the original chef had left last year and the only other wine from Puglia was not a Primativo.
Anyway the menu looked strange to say it was supposed to be Italian as my favourite dishes of Prosciutto & Melonie and Spaghetti Carbonara were nowhere to be found so I settled for a starter of Anti Pasto Carne and the Calzone "CLASSICO" Pizza.
My wife plumped for the pate starter and the Farfalle Salmone main course.
The waiter took our order without any chat or banter so we sat and talked for a while and really just people watched as the place got busier.
The starters arrived and I took one look and said to my wife that mine was from Marks & Spencers. I had one piece of crudo ham and the rest was just normal pieces of spicy and herb infused hams with a couple of tiny olives in a little side cup.
Not happy but still hungry I waited for my main course because I knew the Calzone Classico is one of the biggest and filling pizza's of Italy so when it was served on a massive round plate with what looked and tasted like a cornish pasty stuck in the middle with no garnish or anything else I could have walked out there and then but my wife was hungry so I sat and tried this thing on my plate while my wife finished her meal. I only managed about a third of mine before deciding enough was enough.
While we were sat at our table which was nearest to the door I noticed one of the waiters leaving but never gave it a second thought until he returned a few minutes later carrying a Morrisons carrier bag and went straight through the restaurant into the kitchen !!!!. Well that says it all to me I thought. !!
When we asked for the bill the female from Naples came over and asked if every thing had been ok and Ime sorry to say that I swore in Italian calling my food " Stronzo". She said that she would knock money off the bill but I was that angry I paid the full amount and left. Never to go back again.

7  Thank Harry W