“Amazing place to stay”
other travellers have booked this property
Flying in? There's Ackergill Haven in the bay beyond Ackergill Tower
Only two miles out of Wick and Tesco and it looks like we're driving straight into the sea.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Past the re-built Sea Shore Cottage to Sea Otter's Front Door
Go in and turn left for the small living room.
New stove but new mantle shelf unaffordable so far.
But then look out through those french doors - and catch your breath!
When the tide's in - Hope I don't feel too seasick,!
Such amazing sunsets over the castle next door. At high tide every ripple in pink.
But maybe the tide's out when you arrive
Tide out.Never mind - the tide clock will tell when you will next see the waves up close.
What a view from the kitchen window, with a millionaire's restored castle next door
Gather around the table for breakfast
Downstairs Bathroom. Big bath. High quality shower
Just inside the front door. Turn right instead of left and see the cosy downstairs double bedroom.
Stairs a bit steep - So steep they would never be allowed under new building regulations.
But worth the climb - Is that an Oyster Catcher? Where's that sea bird book?
Top of the stairs on the right. That double bed looks welcoming.
Top of the stairs turn left - for the room with two single beds and the same spectacular views
Beautiful, rugged shoreline with lots of rock pools for children
Fancy having virtually our own private beach. Want a free holiday in return for a painting job?
No time to watch TV - watching the waves is so much more relaxing
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

sarahchri...
“Amazing place to stay”
Reviewed 11 November 2014 for a stay in November 2014
person found this review helpful

Sea Otter Cottage was well worth the 9 hour drive it took me to get there. The cottage is situated right on the beach and high tide was amazing every time! I could never tire of that view. The cottage was clean and a lot larger than I was expecting. The price was fantastic value as we booked out of season. Despite visiting in November we had lovely weather and it was a great time to see grey seal pups! We even saw a pup be born at Thirle Door! We did a day trip to Orkney, which we enjoyed but there's no way you can see all the sights in one day. We also went to Reiss Sands, Bay of Sannick, Duncansby Stacks, Dunnet Head, Whaligoe Steps, all worth a visit. It was great to come back to the cottage after a day exploring and get cosy with the coal fire on. We took our dog who also had a great time. With it being so quiet she could be off lead most of the time. And the cottage had a private garden and the beach on the doorstep for her to explore. I especially loved that the cottage had things like electric blankets, dressing gowns, books, DVDs, board games, hot chocolate! It also had books and DVDs on otters which I enjoyed reading and watching! Seals came to watch us on the balcony most days! It's a wildlife enthusiast's heaven. Rupert the owner was really kind and helpful. I can't recommend Sea Otter Cottage enough! We will be back!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Bobdebco
Melton Mowbray
“Superb location by the seas”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

We a had a brilliant week at Sea Otter Cottage. The location is fantastic the sea couldn't be closer. Everything for a comfortable stay is provided. You feel back to nature yet Tesco and Wetherspoons are a ten minute drive away. This isn't a five star property but this is fairly reflected in the rental price. There is lots to do in the area yet it is so peaceful it would be ideal for artists and authors.

Travelling group: Extended Family
teyci
Valladolid
“A comfortable base for touring northern Scotland, and living at the water's edge.”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 for a stay in December 2013
people found this review helpful

I'm a landlubber who lives most of the year in Mexico's hot and sunny Yucatan peninsula. I'd had the urge to spend the month of December in some "weather" at the edge of the water at the northernmost tip of Scotland and went looking for a place to do this. Sea Otter Cottage was all I wanted and more. It was cozy and homey and had everything I needed to live very comfortably. Favorite qualities about the house were the kitchen view to the castle (Ackergill Tower) in the distance; the fact that (even though I didn't have them with me) it is pet and child friendly; the steep climb to the room where I slept on the second floor, with a view to the water (there is a bedroom on the first floor for non-climbers); the sound of that water as it churned outside; the fireplace, which I kept stoked with [processed] wood that I bought at the grocery store; the vista across the sea. I had rented a car and Sea Otter was convenient for trips to cairns, ferries to Orkney, Thurso, Mey, John O'Groats. The town of Wick, where I toured the local distillery (Old Pulteney whisky--yum) and went to MacKay's hotel for a specially prepared haggis starter that I now have put on my top five list of favorite meals, was only a couple miles away from Ackergill, which sadly doesn't have its own pub. I was surprised to come across the vestiges of World War II that are all over the north of Scotland. And, again, Sea Otter is right there in the middle of everything.

There was a collection of local information at the house for visitors, and I appreciated reading two books, one for visitor comments about their experience, and one for visitor comments about what the house needed. In reviewing the "this house needs..." book I could see that everything that had been suggested was acquired for the home.

Rupert, the owner, and Leighann, the boots on the ground house manager, were great people.

Even the weather was great--I was looking for snow and misery but was surprised that the December temperatures were not terribly cold, there was no snow, and I didn't get the "tempest" that I sought from the sea. Sigh. December is a great month to travel--though the days are shorter, and the sky was gray more often that it was sunny.

And I even saw a sea otter gamboling down to the beach from the kitchen window. Perfect!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: Its location, and its host.
Travelling group: Solo
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Carlotta2...
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Fantastic holiday”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

We have spent a week in this gem of a place and it was amazing. Yes the cottage still needs some tlc but this does not detract from the charm of it. The setting is lovely and we saw pine martens and some seals with pups. There are lots of sea birds Oyster catchers and cormorants to name just two. Thanks rupert it was great.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Jill H
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Ideal place to relax or explore”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014
people found this review helpful

The location of the cottage was amazing, waking up to sea views each morning pure bliss and so relaxing listening to the waves. The cottage was equipped with everything you could need, it needs a little work (the owner is upgrading whenever possible) but this is reflected in the rental price and in no way does it spoil your stay. Nice and local to a big supermarket for all of your grocery needs.
Ideal place to either relax or use as a base to travel, plenty of places to walk, but as with most areas of Scotland you need transport to get out and about. Loads of places within an hour or less to visit.
If you get lucky there is plenty of wildlife to watch, binoculars are also provided at the cottage, sadly they weren't playing whilst we were there. The cottage is also well equipped with games and books if you find yourself at a loose end or you get fed up of the view, we didn't touch them, It's a view you could never tire of!!!
Would definitely go again and recommend to friends and family, it was one of the most relaxing holidays I have had in a long time.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Views
Liked least: nothing
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing