“Delicious and unique tapas”
Review of Ox and Finch

Ox and Finch
Ranked #14 of 2,667 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Ox and Finch is a hugely-popular Kelvingrove restaurant that has added a new dimension to the quality dining arena in Glasgow with its relaxed, sharing concept of contemporary dining; simple, seasonal and ingredient-led menus which combine big, bold flavours with global influences; a great wine list and friendly, attentive service. Bib Gourmand - The Michelin Guide Great Britain & Ireland 2019. Chef Owner Jonathan MacDonald: Formerly the Head Chef of the McLaren Formula One team & Absolute Taste. Founder of scoop. Food category winner in Glenfiddich Spirit of Scotland Awards 2014. Chef Director Daniel Spurr: Worked at Glasgow's Rogano and Restaurant Martin Wishart at Loch Lomond. Head Chef Aurélien Mourez: Born and trained in France. Joined Ox and Finch in January 2015. General Manager Andy MacSween: Hotel and Hospitality Management graduate, with solid management experience of a number of well-respected Glasgow culinary 'names'.
Reviewed 2 May 2017

While living in Glasgow, I loved visiting Ox and Finch on numerous occasions! They present delicious tapas in a unique way and they have an ever-changing (and very appealing) menu, which reflects the skill of the chefs. The wait staff were always friendly and attentive and recommended some wonderful menu items I never would have thought to try otherwise. I also really enjoyed their wine selections. :) The outdoor seating is perfect for having some lunch and drinks with friends and enjoying the Glasgow atmosphere.

OxAndFinch, The Team at Ox and Finch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

Hi Victoria,

Many thanks for your visits to our restaurant whilst living in Glasgow and the compliments contained in your review relating to the food and service experienced. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ox and Finch whenever you return to Glasgow in the future.

The Team at Ox and Finch.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

Had lunch with 5 friends fri28th April and while we had no complaints about food or service initially it all became poor when we asked for bill ! It was £192 which again was fine and we all duly handed over £40 each in to the glass and topped up a couple of pounds each so there was about £20 tip ! After handing that over we were then told that we had underpaid by £23!! Now we are mature ladies who have been friends for years and lunch out regularly and are certain we put the correct money in the glass ! Certain But the young managers aggressive insistence that we didn't gave us no option but to pay another £23 !! So either the staff had a very generous tip or none at all if they think as they insisted that one of us had not paid their £40 !! That really did not happen ! It was all counted in £20 notes . So this def spoiled what was otherwise a lovely lunch . Would be interesting to hear if anyone else had ever had this experience ?

2  Thank Jsheran
OxAndFinch, General Manager at Ox and Finch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

Hello,

Both my colleagues reported this to me and said that it was an unfortunate end to what seemed like a good, fun lunch.

The money was counted twice at the till by the waiter and then twice by the manager. The money was returned to your table as it was believed that a genuine mistake had occurred.

I am very disappointed that you have taken to TripAdvisor to accuse my staff of being dishonest and can assure you that we have never had an issue like this before and conduct our business in a honest and professional manner.

If you wish to discuss this further, please contact me at the restaurant directly.

Regards,

Andy MacSween,
General Manager,
Ox and Finch.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

Our first night in Glasgow and stumbled across this gem of a restaurant. Both the wait and kitchen staff need to be congratulated on such delicious food. The combination of local food and flavours was exceptional. I can recommend the blood orange meringue desert

OxAndFinch, The Team at Ox and Finch, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2017

Hi Annette,

It is great to read that your visit to Ox and Finch proved worthy of a Five Star review on TripAdvisor and that you enjoyed the experience of dining with ourselves. Should you find yourself in Glasgow in the future we hope that you will choose to return to dine with us again.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Excellent food and lovely friendly attentive service. Tapas style plates. Scallops and wild garlic delicious. Blood Orange and caramelized meringue superb.

OxAndFinch, The team at Ox and Finch, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

Hi,

We are very grateful that you have awarded us with a Five Star TripAdvisor review. Should you find yourself in the neighbourhood of our restaurant in the future we hope that you will choose to dine with us again.

Reviewed 27 April 2017

A fairly disappointing visit to a restau with a burgeoning rep, I'm afraid.

The menu is enticing but the food quality was inconsistent, eg lovely hake and cauliflower dishes but the asparagus was overdone and charcuterie pathetic.

Service was spasmodic, not well managed or executed, eg "I'll leave you for 5 minutes until dessert" but 35 minutes later - nothing, so we took the bill and our leave. I don't think our bar is set too high. Training required

2  Thank Lindum20C
OxAndFinch, General Manager at Ox and Finch, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

Hello,

Thank you very much for providing us with feedback of your visit to our restaurant.

I wish to apologise that you had concerns relating to the food and service and would be very grateful if you would email me with information relating to your visit, i.e. date and time. This will allow me to investigate further and provide you directly with feedback. My email address is andy@oxandfinch.com

I look forward to receiving this information at your earliest convenience.

Andy MacSween,