“Very unhappy customer”
Review of Slaters

Slaters
Ranked #16 of 96 Shopping in Glasgow
More attraction details
Owner description: At Slaters we pride ourselves in the personal service and choice that we offer to our customers.At the heart of everything we do is an ethos that consistently places our customers’ needs first.We’re passionate about the shopping experience that we provide to our customer. From shirts and suits to Highlandwear and ladieswear, all of our clothes are made according to exacting standards for quality and are provided in a wide variety of colours and styles.Still run by the Slater family, our company is proud to have 23 stores nationwide including the Worlds Largest Menswear Store in Glasgow, each with its own team of tailors and seamstresses offering a free alterations service to all of our customers. Our service to customers is unique in that our highly trained staff are not paid commission. Their job is to make sure you get exactly what you want with the minimum of fuss.Come on in and find out what makes Slaters unique.
Reviewed 29 May 2018

Hired a kilt for my son. Initially quite happy with the service as all the details were taken and paid for over 2 months in advance.

Received an e-mail when the items came in.
Went to the shop to pick them up and although I was being served by someone who looked fairly busy and wasn't giving me much attention I still managed to satisfy myself that everything fitted OK.

Wasn't overly enamoured by the condition of the shirt and shoes received but after we washed and ironed the shirt and polished the shoes they were acceptable.

It was when I returned the outfit that I ran in to bother.

Firstly, it took the staff (And this was the departmental manager) over 5 minutes to find my paperwork. When they did they then told me that the belt for the kilt was missing.

I replied that I hadn't received a belt and had not ordered one - My son was wearing the waistcoat and had no need for a belt.

I was told by the department manager that it should have been in the bag. I replied that it wasn't and could 100% guarantee that I had not received it.

At this point all the departmental manager could do was to keep reiterating that there should have been a belt and I would have to pay for it. No amount of assurances for me would suffice nor did he offer to look in to the matter. All he could say was that it was marked off in their paperwork. Incidentally, this was paperwork that I had not seen before and consisted of a checklist of items, I certainly had not been given that or been asked to sign out items.

In a very busy shop in front of customers and my son I was being treated like a thief and a liar. No matter what I said the departmental manager continued to look sideways at me and continue with telling me I would need to pay.
At one point he even said that he lived nearby me and he could drive round and pick up the belt!!

Again, absolutely astonished by his behaviour. I was eventually asked to sign my paperwork and I made a point of signing that I was being forced to sign for the lack of a belt that I had not received.

I have been shopping in Slater's for over 30 years and would never have thought about going elsewhere for shirts, ties or suits, but I'm afraid now that I will no longer give them any custom and I would advise anyone to steer clear and/or at least double check every item that you are booking out.

2  Thank Gerry M
SlatersGlasgow, Marketing at Slaters, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Dear Gerry,

Thank you for your comments.

We are obviously very disappointed that you did not enjoy your recent shopping visit to our Glasgow Store. Our Formal Hire Manager Stuart I believe has now been in touch and resolved the above.

Thank you again for your feedback as without customer feedback, we are unable to rectify any problems.

Regards,

in 18 reviews
"outfit"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

Very polite and helpful staff, would recommend retrying the clothing on after alterations in the store before leaving. Very kind gentlemen helped my husband with his suit. It required altered again and had it all done in time for the wedding. Thank you

SlatersGlasgow, Marketing at Slaters, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

We are glad you enjoyed the service from our team and that they could help with the alterations. We hope you both have a great time at the wedding.

Reviewed 11 April 2018

I feel every time I try clothes on in at Slaters, the salespeople tell you that it fits well. Then if you say the sleeves feel a bit long or trousers need an inch up they agree. This is the second time I've been and feel less confident in their so-called expertise.Surely there are rules to sizes and fitting.
I'm now in another country and people are commenting that I need some tailoring on my new clothes;-(

1  Thank Ivor M
SlatersGlasgow, Marketing at Slaters, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

We are really sorry, this is not the normal level of service we expect from our stores. Can you email contact@slatermenswear.com with more information so we can look into this further.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

I recently ordered a suit from slaters in reading and it was too small so took it in store and was really happy with the service that i received. The staff were helpful and even though the size I needed in that suit wasn't available in store they managed to find one even nicer with a better fit and cheaper for me. It needs a few minor adjustments to make it fit perfectly but that was free of charge and they offered another free adjustment if need be after I said I may loose weight in the future and need it made smaller. Top professionals and excellent service. Got to pick up suit in 10 days and I'm sure it will be perfect.

1  Thank tempz87
SlatersGlasgow, Marketing Executive at Slaters, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

We are glad you enjoyed the service from our team in Reading and that they could help with the alterations.

Enjoy wearing your new suit and we look forward to your next visit.

Regards