“Great place”

Euro Hostel Glasgow
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I've stayed at The Euro Hostel numerous times and I will continue to stay there when I need overnight accommodation. My only complaint for this time, and it really is very minor, is that the receptionist ( who was very friendly and made me feel so welcome) forgot to mention that the lift does not stop at floor 7 even though that was where my room was. It was only by a chance meeting in the lift from one staff I found this out. But other than that very minor Inconvenience I was happy with my stay,

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Gordon_Anthony86, General Manager at Euro Hostel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Hi Laura N, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased to hear that you are a regular customer with us. Thank you for noting our friendly and helpful reception staff, however I apologise that they neglected to give you the correct information regarding our lifts. We were at that time awaiting our lift maintenance provider to replace a part - one which I am happy to tell has been now.
I am delighted that you have enjoyed using the Euro Hostel Glasgow and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back many more times in the future.

There are newer reviews for Euro Hostel Glasgow

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I've stayed here numerous times on nights out, the 'Euro Hostel' does represent value for money, but a little more tender loving care is needed. for instance the bathroom could do with an extensive re-model, whilst showering in the morning one has to carefully turn the shower on a certain way to get the temperature just right! i was 'woken up' with what could only be described as a jet of icy cold water followed by an almost skin peeling scalding of the hot tap! this should be rectified at once as someone could end up badly scalded. the bathroom was adequate but could of been cleaner as their was some grime on the tiles.
On the other hand i slept comfortably and made do with the most basic of breakfasts available,

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Hi greene515, thank you for taking the time out to review the Euro Hostel. First of all let me apologise for your experiences with our showers. This is an area that has, on occasion, been identified to us and one which you have quite rightly outlined your concerns. Our showers undergo planned maintenance regularly to avoid the issues that you have pointed out. I am sorry that your experience in the shower was not to your liking but I hope that the planned maintenance we have in place will improve their efficiency and performance.
Thanks you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you again to the Euro Hostel Glasgow.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

As per the title this hotel was much more than I thought it would be. As a lover of my home comforts and a quiet nights sleep I was apprehensive that this establishment would be able to deliver however, I was pleasantly surprised.
Firstly, the fact that a city centre hotel has parking was good enough for me but they also validate your parking to a very reasonable 6quid for 24hours which is a bargain. The staff on arrival were nice and knowledgeable and the whole premise of the place seemed easy to understand. The room was nice, not amazing but we paid 30quid for it so if you are expecting amazing then dont. Saying that it was clean and comfortable AND it has a wee flat screen tv which was a bonus. We were having a night out so was only in it for a few hours to get ready but when we got back it was a comfortable quiet sleep.
The shower in the morning was a bit crazy as it kind of throws water at you and flooded the bathroom but I was clean and I wasn't the one who had to clean it up so fine with me.
Breakfast was nice, basic continental stuff with the option of paying for a cooked breakfast, again, better than I thought it would be.
Overall a really decent stay in a nice, cheap hotel. Will definitely use it again. Was having a night out with my friend so it was bunk beds, not the most romanatical of places but if all you want its a mirror to get ready at and a bed to use afterwards this is your place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Hi Jennifer R, many thanks for taking time to review our hostel. I am happy to note that it seems that we were able to exceed your expectations for your stay with us. We pride ourselves to be able to offer basic accommodation that is clean and comfortable at an affordable price and that is what we have been able to do for you. I am pleased that you found your room satisfactory, I do apologise for the temperamental shower however. Since your stay we have undergone planned maintenance work to improve this area. Thank you for noting our excellent complimentary continental breakfast - this is an area we are more than happy to provide and one where we receive such positive feedback. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I've stayed in Euro Hostel numerous times & i can't really fault the place. The staff are super friendly & helpfull you are always certain to be greeted with a smile. The bar is a great wee spot with a jukebox & pool table.!

Yes the rooms could do with been updated but i have never found my room dirty. Rooms have tv's, great if you want to relax in your room.! For breakfast you have a good range to choose from & they do cooked breakfast also which is reasonably priced.!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

Hi Helena M, thank you for taking time out to review the Euro Hostel. It seems that you really enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks you for commenting on our friendly and helpful staff; our customer service is an area we work hard at and to hear such positive feedback makes it well worthwhile.
I am glad that you found your room adequate and I am pleased to let you know that all our rooms will soon be updated. I am delighted that you found our hostel to your liking and will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

I went with a group of colleagues to attend a festival in Glasgow and the hostel was chosen based on recommendations given on a previous trip. I would travel 6-8 times in the year and would use hostel accommodation 1-2 times each year. The hostel is one of the largest in Glasgow, a high-rise building with 9 bedroom floors, which is centrally located beside Glasgow Central train station and fronting the river Clyde. It is located on a corner site beside a busy and noisy road junction and road bridge. There are extensive commercial facilities: supermarkets, pound shops, good inexpensive pubs and restaurants in close proximity. The area gets quite lively at night. In the hostel the public areas cover three floors, which include a late night bar with a separate entrance for the public.
The entrance to the hostel is somewhat run-down, with entrance is gained via an dilapidated door which does not close properly. The large lobby is dark and the ground floor facilities are dog-eared, although there is a good reception service in operation for 24 hours a day. Indeed the overall security there is good, with door men in operation at night outside the late bar and restricted card access to the upper floors and the bedrooms. Due to Glasgow’s whisky culture at night which some people might find disconcerting, this proved to be an important asset. The bar was by far the best public facility.
The upstairs cafeteria was clean and spacious which provided very basic continental breakfasts, included with the accommodation. There were no boiled eggs, cheese, sliced meats or yoghurt, and the only bread supplied was sliced pan. The coffee/tea came from a vending machine and the fruit juices were overdiluted. To their favour the staff could make you a full english breakfast for a reasonable price.
The bedroom corridors were tired in appearance although they were kept clean. I had a twin room with bunk beds. Sheets and towels were provided; and although the duvet was fitted, I had to make my own bed. While the linen was clean, the inner duvet had not been washed for some time, as indicated by the grimy edges at the opening (photo1.). I opted to wear my socks in bed. While the room was kept neat, it needs a deep clean: a rubbing down of the walls and redecoration. One of the windows was badly cracked, and instead of repairing it the staff had patched it with yellow safety tape (photo 2.). The glass and the frames in the windows were filthy. In the en-suite corridor there was a rotten skirting (photo 3.), which was explained once I tried to use the shower. The controls were difficult to master and the water evacuated at high speed alternately hot and cold, flooding the bathroom floor (I mopped this up with a towel). Ablutions had to be carried out using borrowed light as the light in the en-suite flickered constantly.
Overall the euro hostel had many redeeming features, for example the staff were courteous and helpful and it was located in a good area. However some parts were grotty badly mainained and fell below an acceptable level of cleanliness. It has to be said that despite the conditions we enjoyed our stay there, and the others no doubt will elect to go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noisy street (odd Nos)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Hi IrelandGeorgeH, thanks you for taking the time to write an extensive review of our hostel. It seems that you were mostly happy with your stay with us, however, there are some areas that you have quite rightly pointed out that we could improve upon. First of all let me apologise for the standard of cleanliness you appeared to find in your room. I find the condition of the duvet appalling and have, since your review, ordered a full audit of our duvets where we have replaced over 75% of them. Again, I apologise for the deep cleanliness of the room, this is an area where we normally find favourable comment but have failed on this occasion. Again I am sorry for the condition of the window but am pleased to tell you that we are currently under-going a full refurbishment in this area. As for the temperamental shower, we are undergoing planned maintenance and hope that this will improve upon their efficiency and performance. We are due to have a full refurbishment beginning later this year which we hope will vastly improve our bedroom product.
We do receive positive comments regarding our complimentary continental breakfast however we are constantly looking at ways to improve this area and take you comments on board.
Thank you for commenting on our excellent city centre location, the fact that we are within walking distance of most of Glasgow’s attractions and transport hubs is a feature that serves us well. You also kindly commented on our reception team which is an area where we pride ourselves upon our customer service. You have mentioned our tired looking reception area however I am pleased to tell you that we have undergone a full refurbishment of this area including the decor, front entrance area and access door. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our Mint & Lime bar as this is an area we find important to get right.
Thanks again for taking the time to review our hostel, I hope the improvements we have made to some of the areas you have highlighted will be a pleasant surprise to you should you stay with us again. If so, we look forward to welcoming you back next time!