2,512 results
All reviews leisure facilities city centre secure parking swimming pool leisure club steam room on arrival good size car park room was large argyle street a bit tired reception staff restaurant staff weekend break would stay again buffet style
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Just returned from spending a 3 night new year break here, Quality of customer service was the best I have seen in a hotel in the UK, From the management down nothing was too much trouble for the staff. You felt really welcome and if you're staying in Glasgow, I truly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2013

grabbed as a web sale deal for Hogmanay/New Years day, the place stood out as very good value, just yards from the City Centre buzz & also well linked to the lively West End. Particularly good is the small but perfectly formed Leisure Centre/pool. Family groups were very much in evidence and well catered for. Rooms were of a decent size, well kept and pretty much noise free even on this very boisterous occasion. Staff - very good indeed. Quietly efficient, pleasant manner and well turned out. Bar prices pretty good on the whole & not eye-wateringly hiked for the 'captive audience' like a good few other places tend to do. Cracking breakfast, good quality buffet, certainly a cut above many premises who tend towards the cheaper cuts/produce, here the quality and again the service shines out. Car parking a big plus for a Glasgow City Centre location [ Glasgow has one of the UK's most pro active parking enforcement/tow away regimes] NB - don't be fooled by 'Street View' of the premises, a whole adjacent property within 50 yards is set apart with secured access for guests. All in all a wee gem offering a good deal compared to its' more famous bigger hitting names in the same district.

Room Tip: Floors 5 & 6 offering best deal for being well insulated against city centre noises/bustle. [This particular part of Glasgow won't offer you picturesque views being a former dockside/industrial area. You'd need to be in a very tall multi-storey for any kind of panorama for that]. Very slight but noticeable trace of that distinctive 'chlorine' type smell in the lifts - probably a ventilation effect thing from the pool complex. This is however not found in the rooms & we were only 3 away from the lift foyer.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Stayed at the Menzies hotel, Glasgow on Hogmany. As other reviews have stated, car parking is across the road and a big bonus as parking in Glasgow can be expensive.

Upon arrival we were checked in to room 609. As soon as we opened the door we were met with an overwhelming pong. I can only describe as it smelled like someone had been frying fish in the room all day. The room felt tacky and damp. The heating control was broken and stuck on the coldest setting, not good for mid winter!

I contacted reception whereby the solution suggested was "I can give u air freshener and a portable heater"!

Sorry not acceptable. We were told the hotel was full and there were no other rooms but after a lengthy discussion, another room was found. Room 403 was a bit better, still a musky smell in the room but acceptable considering the hotel was full.

The beds are comfortable and luxurious sheets. After the bells I enjoyed a good night's sleep.

Just a mention of free sports channels and free WiFi although we didn't use these, this might appeal to some.

In the morning we went for breakfast hoping the breakfast reviews on here would live up to expectation.

Despite the hotel being very busy we got a table immediately. (unlike those late comers who had to queue, get down as early as you can). The choice and quality was excellent and somewhat made up for the poor rooms but on the whole we shall not return here.

• Stayed: December 2012
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear Bullyspecialprize…

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to hear that you found our breakfast offering to be excellent and thank you for your great feedback. I have passed on your kind comments to my breakfast Chef and the breakfast team. I would also like to thank you for highlighting the positives of the hotels location to the city centre and our car parking being so reasonable.

I was however very concerned to read that you felt that your initial room 609 smelt of fish – I have investigated this it has become apparent that the window seal has begun to leak and water has got into the carpet in the left hand corner and damaged the carpet and underlay is now giving off an unpleasant odour.

I am very sorry that this was not picked up prior and I have asked our Maintenance team to put this room off and repair all the damage prior to it being returned to service. Also with all the rain that we have had over the last few weeks I have asked my Head Housekeeper to speak to her teams to be more vigilant in future in relation to this.

I am sorry that when you called down to reception that you were initial offered a fan heater and air-freshener and as you mention this is clearly not acceptable and be assured not indicative of the normal stand of attentiveness that we off and as you can read on the site for our reception team.

In relation to 403 and that you felt it was affected by a musty smell, I am afraid I am at loss here as there is now no evidence of this but will keep monitoring this.

We are constantly upgrading areas throughout the hotel and certainly will take on board your feedback when planning further refurbishment works.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to Glasgow in the near future.

Best wishes

Philip

Regional General Manager

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Arrived from overseas in a pouring rainstorm. Stands out from the highway so easy to get to especially if you aren't used to big cities. Hotel staff friendly, pointed out places. Good location, able to walk to Kelvingrove, University of Glasgow, etc. Food was okay, first part of our trip so had better breakfast's to compare later. Good parking right at the hotel, not the same for several other places we stayed in Scotland. Good value and would return.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2012

As previous reviewers have said, the rooms in this hotel are spacious and quiet. I found the bed very comfortable and the room very clean.

We did use the restaurant on our first night and as BorthwickEdinburgh said, the menu was very limited. However as our package rate included dinner on the first night and the two night package was cheaper than the best 2 night bed and breakfast package I could find, it was a "no brainer" to take the dinner. The food we had was good enough but I think you would be disappointed if you had paid full price.

The hotel is very central and the parking is convenient, even if the rear of the car park leaves you feeling as if you have stumbled into a New York Neighbourhoood.

The hotel is beginning to need a freshen up. The furniture especially is starting to date and become chipped and worn. The bathroom door handle also came off in my hand.

All in all though, this is a good choice for Central Glasgow whether arriving by car or by train at Glasgow Central.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple