“Very comfortable and perfect for the west end”

Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #41 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Galway, Ireland
“Very comfortable and perfect for the west end”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed here Monday to Wednesday, as a visitor to the University. The hotel is perfectly situated on the corner of Byre's Road and Great Western Road, and I was able to get a lovely walk in the Botanic Gardens. The room was cosy and clearly recently refurbished, at the front of the hotel, with views of the Gardens. I wasn't bothered by any noise. The bed was very comfortable and I had two excellent sleeps.
On the first night I arrived quite late. I ordered a sandwich from room service, which arrived with a smile. In fact, all the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was good, with lots of choice and a great selection of fresh fruit.
My only issue is the £10 charge for 24 hours of wifi. For an international traveller who relies on being connected, but wants to avoid massive data roaming charges, there should be wifi available at a low cost.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have beautiful views of the Botanic Gardens.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Martin W, General Manager at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Sharon Galway

Thank you for your review of your stay at The Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit, and that although on business you were still able to benefit from our fabulous location in the West end of Glasgow.

The refurbishment of all 96 bedrooms is nearing completion, and I am pleased that you found our new bedroom product both comfortable and relaxing.

I am sorry that you felt the internet charge of £10 detracted from your overall experience in the hotel. For your next visit, I can inform you that we have recently launched free WiFi to guests in all of our public areas to enhance our guest stays.

I will ensure the team receives your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Greek first
Scotland. UK
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Had a full weekend planned in Glasgow so found a great deal for the Grosvenor Hilton, which I jumped at, as deals for this hotel are quite rare. We arrived at 12pm not expecting to be able to check in that early but it wasn't a problem at all. The hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment and we were lucky enough to have one of the newly refurbished rooms, which was beautiful. The room was a good size, one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in, tea and coffee facilities in room (discreetly stored in a drawer in one of the cabinets. Bathroom was an acceptable size with bath and shower - it has to be noted that the shower was absolutely excellent. Lovely shower/bath supplies in the bathroom which were relenished daily. The wardrobe also stored an ironing board and iron which was great as it was well used when we arrived.
Shona at reception was just brilliant - very pleasant and extremely helpful. She really made you feel like more than just another anonymous face booking in!
Our room was was situated on the side of the hotel, overlooking the carpark and down Byres Road; not the most illustrious vuew but considering we were looking onto a very busy road, at an intersection, the room was surprisingly quiet.
There are lots to do around the West End, so we were out for most of the day. We arrived back at the hotel late afternoon, and went to the bar for a drink before heading back to our rooms. The staff in the bar were just lovely and couldn't do enough for us, and the bar itself was very pleasant to sit in, with views across to the Oran Mor at one side, and the Botanic Gardens at the other.
There was still a lot of refurbishement being done in the hotel while we were there, and you could hear some sounds in the distance, but it was never enough to feel that the peace and quiet was being disturbed.
Later in the evening on our way back to the hotel we stopped for a drink at the Bo'Vine bar in the basement of the hotel There's no direct access to the hotel from the bar, but even though we had to go outside the bar to get back into the hotel we were wee sheltered and it was only a 5 second walk back into reception.
There are no fitness facilities within this Hilton hotel, but its sister Hilton, situated at the city centre allows guests to use their facilities. The city centre hotel is a 10 minute taxi journey away, and all you have to do is show your room key for full access to the facilities.
On Sunday there was a Wedding Fayre in one of the conference suites within the hotel and a band were playing in the afternoon as well, so it was lovely to go the bar for a drink and sit and relaxing listening to some good live music.
This is a great hotel with excellent and professional staff, the rooms have been upgraded to the highest standard and we are really looking forward to having another excuse to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren1971
Dear Lauren 1971,

Thank you for your recent posting, regarding the facilities and refurbishment work being carried out at the hotel. I am pleased that although work was being carried out in the hotel at the time of your visit, this did not detract from your overall experience, and that you were able to benefit from the wedding fayre and make use of our cocktail bar (Bobar).

We are delighted with the work that has been carried out thus far and are looking forward to the completion of works, which is scheduled around the 19th of February.

I will ensure that Shona receives your feedback, and will share your comments with the hotel team.

Once again, thanks for the post, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Fort William
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My husband I stayed in this hotel in January. Our daughter is a student in Glasgow and we were visiting to celebrate her 20th birthday. The staff in reception were incredibly helpful and made you feel comfortable and welcome. We were given one of their recently renovated rooms on the second floor which was modern and well appointed. Amazing pillows! The choice for breakfast was good and the staff in the breakfast room were cheerful and attentive. The location is excellent with the Subway into the city centre just a five minute walk away and a great selection of pubs and restaurants all around. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Martin W, General Manager at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear PhilFortWilliam

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us, I am delighted that you had such a great time whilst visiting the city. We are very close to completing the full refurbishment of the hotel bedrooms, which has transformed the hotel, I am pleased the appointed room met all of your needs.

I will ensure that the team receives your comments, as we continually strive to deliver the very best in customer experiences, and welcome all feedback.

Thanks again for the post, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2012

This was our first time staying in this hotel. The renovations have made this hotel look and feel very contemporary.
The staff were so helpful and very attentive to our every need.
The breakfast staff were extremely helpful and very friendly
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Martin W, General Manager at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear NIcola b

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor and your recent stay in the hotel.
We are now in the final phase of the refurbishment, with only three weeks to completion. I am delighted that you enjoyed the new contemporary room, and the level of service displayed by the team throughout your stay. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to our breakfast team, and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Martin Watts
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel in december for my husbands birthday and we both feel that we need to bring to attention two staff members who made our stay extra special. David the chef on breakfast was fantastic and really Accomodating, he really went the extra mile for us. The other team member is stephen on the terrace bar who in my own and my husbands opinion is the perfect example of customer service five star plus, a young man who could make you feel at home in any part of the world, absolutely fantastic. This hotel really made my husbands birthday the perfect weekend away and we will be returning again for another stay very soon indeed as well as recommending it to all family and friends

• Stayed December 2011
Martin W, General Manager at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear Paulaw27

I am delighted to read that you had such a great experience in the hotel, and thank you for posting your review of your recent stay.

It is always great to hear first hand experiences from our guests of our team members delivering first class service, I will be sure to pass on your comments. You will be pleased to hear that Stephen has recently received Team member of the year, for his continued commitment to customer service and consistently, going the extra mile for our guests.

Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to see you again soon.