“Has its downsides but much better than I expected”

Ibis Glasgow City Centre
Ranked #46 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
South East England, United Kingdom
“Has its downsides but much better than I expected”
Reviewed 24 March 2012 via mobile

I stayed here one night on business and wasn't at all happy when I got to the hotel. It's in a grim road and the upstairs corridors are shabby with scuffed paintwork and tired carpets. The rooms are basic in the extreme. However, having spent the night I had changed my opinion. The location is central and good restaurants are within walking distance, but there are no noisy bars nearby (a police station is opposite, so this is reassuring when parking your car outside on the street). The reception staff were lovely, and very helpful. I have had far worse welcomes in 5 star hotels. The room was spotlessly clean, had an excellent shower and was very quiet. The bed was comfy. Continental breakfast was good. Overall very good value.

Stayed March 2012
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Dear Sir

Thank you so much for taking the time to add your comments onto the site.

I am delighted that after your first impressions you recognised the other benefits we have to offer. I will share your views witht he team here.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you again in the future to Ibis Glasgow.

Janice Fisher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Largs
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed for 2 nights with friends from Aberdeen. It is the first time we have visited Glasgow as tourists (Iwork there). We regularly stay in Ibis hotels, as we find them good quality and good value. This is one on the best. Friendly, helpful staff, good sized room and excellent bathroom with powerful shower. Good location, 2 minutes from Sauchiehall Street. Only complaint was the hard mattress.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Fairliered

Thank you for your comments, you will be glad to know that Ibis listen to allt he comments we receive and all the hotels throughout the world will be changing to a new standard of bed.

I am glad you enjoyed your weekend in Glasgow and I do hope you will come again.

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed as a couple, 16th - 19th March 2012.

Good - Check in swift. Room immaculate, great size and well appointed. Extremely comfortable bed, clean fresh linen. En-suite a good size also, best shower ever with a really powerful force. Peaceful sleep, no hotel noise.

Bad - Front desk staff all extremely disinterested at all times. Not rude, just not friendly. Bar - lager fine at £3.10/pint. Asked for a white wine and soda - do not stock soda. Offered a bottle of sparkling water instead, ok. Then charged £7.20 for one small white wine and a bottle of water - extortionate! Needless to say did not drink in the hotel. Breakfast - whilst the fresh fruit, yoghurts, croissants, jam etc were all fine (well, how wrong can you go with cold food?), the hot "buffet breakfast" was a joke. Three large stainless steel lidded containers, not heated at all. First contained a cold congealed heap of fatty bacon. Second a cold heap of hard dried out sausages. Third a cold heap of semi-scrambled eggs. We were there at a reasonable time of 8am, considering that heap would still be on offer for another 2 hours I'm surprised nobody became ill. £7.50 each for breakfast??? SOOOO glad there was a Wetherspoon's just around the corner, full English breakfast, cooked fresh, for £3.10 each!

SUMMARY - great place to shower and sleep, but if you want friendly staff, reasonably priced drink and edible food, then you need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Madam

Please let me apologise for the failings in our offering during your stay with us. I can assure you that we will improve and ensure this situation is not replicated.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and I do hope I can welcome you back again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Shapinsay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The room was clean and everything what you need are there. Nice staff. Hotel clean and next to the town centre. The beds was comfortable.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay at Ibis Glasgow. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, thank you for giving us the opportunity.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for a place to stay overnight as we were attending a gig at The Garage on Sauciehall St. For the price we paid we weren't expecting too much, just hoping it was clean and comfortable. Our expectations were blown away as soon as we walked in the door. The room looked fantastic and made great use of the space. The bathroom was small but it included everything you'd expect. The shower was excellent, very spacious and nice and hot!

The bed was fine, and the television in the room had a jack cable to plug an iPod into which was very handy. The staff were very friendly and were more than happy to help.

Overall, the trip was made very pleasant by the stay in this hotel. We would both happily stay here again for a trip to central Glasgow and both said we have paid more money to stay in worse places. If I was to nit pick I would say the rooms aren't very sound proofed as we were woken by people talking and laughing in the corridor but that wasn't enough to ruin the stay :)

Scott

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir

Thank you for your kind comments, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I do hope I can look forward to welcoming you again in the future.