Kelvin Hotel
HotelIndigo.com
USD 365
USD 354
  • Restaurant
Fraser Suites Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
USD 201
  • Pool
USD 144
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
Jurys Inn Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
USD 228
Cancelon
Argyll Hotel(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
USD 203
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbotanic gardenswest endbyres roadgreat western roadoran morcooked breakfastsingle roomcity centrechoice of cerealssmall roomnice breakfastbed and breakfastrestaurants and barsideal locationbreakfast was includedbeanspleasant stay
Reviewed 23 October 2011

My partner and I are both Glaswegians who now live in glorious Devon. We stayed at the Kelvin for one evening before going our separate ways to see family etc. We could not have been happier with our selection of hotel. The staff were friendly and professional. The welcome and our room were both warm. The entire place is spotlessly clean and breakfast excellent. In short – this is a real find and offers amazing value. Having worked in one of the west end’s B&Bs as a student many years ago, I know that it takes a huge amount of work and dedication and love to run somewhere as well as this. Well done. We’ll be back 

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redsandyboy
Reviewed 28 September 2011

'Cannot recommend all at the Kelvin enough. I was in Glasgow with my son, girlfriend and family dog last w/e for my mother's 90th [!] and our stay with them was an absolute pleasure. Comfortable, spotless, good food and nothing too much trouble to help us in any way Sandra could. Not having transport and evening train back to Cumbria, it was no problem to leave our luggage in safe keeping til later in the day - not to mention Sandra helping to rescue my son's trouser hem with a steam iron! All has been so much appreciated and we're definitely spreading the word! Big thank you.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrea C
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I stayed at this B&B for a wedding at Oran Mor which is just over the road so the location was great for what I needed. I couldn't get my car parked in the free hotel car park (as someone else had selfishly taken up 2 spaces with 1 small car) but I got a space on the road outside no problem and only had to pay £2 for a visitor permit which lasted from 4pm on Sat through all day on Sunday.

Inside the B&B is quite dated and antiquated in its style and operation. Check-in was carried out from paper records written in pencil and held in a hard file. Security is by way of a simple yale lock on the main building door and a yale lock on the bedroom. The snib on the bedroom door didn't work so the room didn't feel very secure.

In the bedroom the decor was mismatched and very tired and it had a 'old'/fusty odour. However, the bed was reasonably comfy, although I could have done with more than the very thin pillows but the room was very clean throughout. The ensuite bathroom was tiny but had a shower cubicle, toilet and wash-basin so was functional. The shower wasn't very powerful but everything was clean so no big complaints.

My room (10) was on the first floor and this is the same level as the dining room, lounge and kitchen. I was woken in the morning by the unpleasant smell of cooking bacon presumably from the kitchen which I think was the next room.

Breakfast was served 8-9.15 am (weekend times) but when I arrived at the dining room at 9am I found there were no free tables. With such a restricted breakfast opportunity, to not have enough tables for all the rooms and people staying, was very disappointing. Having said that I was asked to wait in the lounge and a table was cleared for me in around 5 minutes. The decor in the dining room itself was garish and quite bizarre. The service was friendly but they seemed too busy to be efficient. Milk and juice jugs on the table had run out and I had to ask for them to be re-filled. It took 10 minutes for my tea/coffee and hot food order to be taken. Again, with such a restricted breakfast opportunity I think they need more serving staff.

Overall, this B&B was fine for short overnight stay and considering the cheap price I paid wasn't bad value.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We have been using the Kelvin regularly for just over a year now and it’s such a fantastic place to stay. I am writing my second review because all the staff deserve such a huge pat on the back for running a very shipshape and welcoming establishment and this doesn’t happen by accident – it’s very hard work. My partner and I use this hotel every month or so as we live on the islands and regularly visit family in Glasgow as well as shopping trips, legal appointments, holidays abroad, etc and I would recommend this hotel to anyone for its friendliness, cleanliness, location and value – you won’t find better in Glasgow at this more than reasonable price. I’m hoping to stay there again in a couple of weeks and look forward to it knowing I’ll have a comfortable stay and a warm welcome.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Very friendly and courteous staff who were always very helpful. The whole place was very clean and comfortable. I was not able to get a room with a toilet & shower, but there were several available in the hall and these were always very clean and tidy.
There was a full English breakfast and you were served quite quickly. There was also a wide variety of cereals and fruit available.
Great proximity to Glasgow University and there were many eating places, banks , post-office, pharmacy, and grocery within walking distance. A nearby tube and many buses made access to the city very easy. Would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Got one of the last available and was quite happy with it
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business