“predictable high standard”

GreenLeadersBronze level
UK
“predictable high standard”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Just what you would expect from the Marriott chain - a good quality hotel that could be anywhere in the world. Excellent clean and well-furnished room, and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Although the room overlooked the motorway, the room was perfectly soundproofed and the panoramic view was actually quite atmospheric. The staff were friendly but as the hotel was fully booked they were stretched, and service was slow, especially in the restaurant. The only drawback was the soft lighting in the room - perfect for a romantic getaway, but hard to work in. Also, given the price, I think free wifi should be standard nowadays, not charged extra.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a great weekend in Glasgow. Due to a morning flight from Cardiff we arrived at the hotel approx 12:00 but we were still allowed to check in. Our room was spotlesly clean, a great size with a huge bed! (I requested a high room with a view and we got the 11th floor facing the river). It was very quite considering it was very close to the motorway. There was a large TV, safe, hair dryer, mini bar, kettle, tea/coffee & biscuits. The staff were very helpful and did'nt mind spending time with us advising us of all the tourist sights, bus times etc.
The traditional Scottish Breakfast was excellent including haggis and porridge with whiskey! A huge choice of both hot and cold buffett, fruit, cereals etc and again the staff were fab.
The location of the hotel is approx a 8-10 min walk into the center. If you are driving, it's just off the M8. We took the shuttle bus from the airport which runs evey 15 minutes and stops fairly close by. (£7.50 each open return).
The "hop on-hop off" open top city tour bus also stops very close by. The tour is great value at £10 p.p and is valid for 2 days and covers all the tourist attractions. The hotel also gives you a £1 p.p discount voucher. The new transport museum is a must see but allow plenty of time as you can spend hours in there! (and it's free!)
I have no hesitation in recomending this hotel as the service, faclities, (and breakfast!) were all first class.

Room Tip: If you want a view request for a high floor facing the river.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daiCardiff
Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Although I have stayed in this hotel on several occasions this I think was probably the best. The room, on the 8th floor was of a good size, the bed was comfortable and the facilities acceptable. The only drawback was that the room faced away from the river and I was denied the excellent views, but I did have a good look at the competitor's hotel.
I arrived at the hotel about 9pm and there was a lack of the usual staff to greet me but the Reception desk was staffed and I was warmly welcomed. All the details were to hand and the process took only a minute or so. The Receptionist had time to talk and made sure he understood my requirements and needs. As stated before the room was of a good size with plenty of room to move around and no wasted spaces. There are a few negative aspects however, the chair at the desk unit was rather low and this made working on the computer a bit uncomfortable; the tv controls took a bit of getting used to, but when they were mastered there was no problem; the lack of a trouser press(so often found in other hotels) was also an point that preveted me giving the hotel an 'excellent' rating. The bed was up to the usual Marriott standard, very big and very comfortable and the pillow selection was excellent; the bed and the pillows combined to give a good night's sleep. The bathroom was large, by modern hotel standards, with plenty of room to move around; the shelf space was sufficient for my needs, there is a good sized bath and the over bath shower was easy to operate and use. The towels provided for guest use were big enough to serve their purpose.
I used the Resaurant for breakfast. The restaurant staff were helpful and attentive and there was plenty of hot and cold food and choices available. I did have some food on the evening of my arrival and was disappointed at the small portion and the high cost. I did not eat any more evenng meals in the restaurant.
The advantage of this hotel is it proximity to the city centre where there are plenty of eating establishment within walkng distance.
As I was in Glasgow on business I did not have any time for sight-seeing but there was plenty of information (both in the hotel and on the streets) for anybody visiting Glasgow on holiday.
The staff, whenever I encountered any at any level, were courteous, friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Scotland
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Good location, nice hotel but a bit tired looking. Spa ok but needs renovating but lovely health and beauty staff. Overall nice hotel

• Stayed March 2012
Scotland
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My daughter and I recently stayed here for the second time whilst in the city to visit the SECC. We like the view of the Kingston Bridge and River Clyde from the higher floors and our twin room was spacious and clean. This time we used the leisure pool which was heated to the perfect temperature.

There was a wide selection for breakfast and the waiting staff were very attentive and polite.

On our first night I was woken by an awful lot of noise in the corridor outside our room. I was kept awake from 1:30 - 2:30 with a few lulls in the racket in between. Eventually I phoned reception and they quickly sent someone up to deal with it. I guess that's one of the hazards of staying in a city hotel at the weekend. Apart from that we slept extremely well. The pillows were incredibly comfy!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family