“Good location, good cocktails”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #12 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I've just stayed at Blythswood for the second time in 2 years and while my second stay did not quite have the high standards of the first, I would likely go back again. I chose it because I was in town to attend the Glasgow Film Festival and it's location is close by the GFT.

The hotel has a classic style with modern twists to it, very beautiful, with a friendly door man to greet you and service at the front desk is always professional. The rooms are spotless and again very stylish. Although, the lighting throughout is terrible - dim and sometimes not in the most functional location. There was almost constant noise coming from the bathroom. Couldn't quite tell if it was water sounds from other rooms or some kind of ventilation. At some moments it was bothersome.

There appear to be a lot of new additions since my last visit, as the part of the hotel I stayed in this time did not have the same (classic) took to it as what I remembered. There is also a spa introduced (free to guests in the early morning and late evening hours) but I did not get the opportunity to use it.

My only disappointments this time were with some of the service. I was pleased when they offered a newspaper for the morning but there was no mention whatsoever that I'd be charged for it. Considering that it was a local paper this just seems wrong to charge. And we received some wrong orders in our breakfast 2 days in a row. Apparently some items were out and instead of informing us they just brought something else without notice or question. Unfortunately they were items we couldn't eat. And we were delivered completely empty coffee and tea pots, regular milk when we ordered soy, and other small errors.

On the upside, when we went to the lounge, service was fantastic and there is a pretty impressive cocktail menu. Try the Blythswood Cocktail! Food was also very good and, in comparison to what I've seen in other hotels, still reasonably priced.

Room Tip: I remember my room on the old side of the hotel to be nicer and quieter.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

This really is a gem of a hotel - fantastic service, great staff, good location. As soon as you pull up in the car you feel special - the concierge comes out to meet you, the check in is friendly, they will keep your bags for you if the room isn't ready......

Rooms are very boutique, bathrooms are contemporary with a seperate shower and toilet area. Massive comfy bed, everything you need in the room - iron, board, hairdryer, mini bar!!! Couldn't get the ipod connection to work but apparently you can have this playing in the room.

Went upstairs to the bar - good range of cocktails available. Also used the spa facilities in the morning which are free during certain times for residents - fantastic - would have liked to spend all day there.

Great breakfast - choice of cold buffet items or hot menu to order.

Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Glasgow - it's wonderful.

1  Thank Tiggytogs
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We ate at the Blythswood the other day. Myself and two companions were going to a gig and decided to meet for cocktails in the Salon in the hotel.
I'm glad to report that the service in the Salon has improved tenfold since my last visit (shortly after the place opened) when service had been slow at best and glacial at worst. I arrived later than my friends and was served straight away by a knowledgeable and efficient waitress. The cocktail list is exciting, innovative and not expensive. I would urge anyone to try it. As it was raining and we had little time we decided to try the restaurant in the hotel rather than one of the many decent eateries in the area.
The restaurant kitchen opens at 6 o'clock. We were among the first in the room. Service was attentive but not disruptive. Two menus were produced, the Market Menu (table d'hote) and the main restaurant menu. We ordered a selection of dishes from across the options, with me sticking to the market menu deal (two courses for £16.95) and my friends ordering a combination of market menu specials and a la carte offerings.
Everything was good. The reworked prawn cocktail made with lobster and crayfish is expensive but large and delicious. My terrine was properly made and correctly sauced. Mains of Fois Gras Burger (a smallish but correctly cooked lobe of the notorious delicacy balanced on a rare handmade burger) and another of Coley (from the market specials) were well presented and substantial. Sadly my main of pork was niggardly, three small, thin rounds of pork loin do not a main make...nor had it been terribly kindly treated as it had become rather tough - no mean trick with a forgiving meat like pork loin.
Special mention goes to the chips. Worth the visit on their own.
Wine is reasonably priced and an interesting selection has been made
Overall more than a good effort - especially given that this is an hotel kitchen. Food like this shames most of the fine dining establishments in the City. One mark off for the pork, (allowing for which I will certainly and speedily return) otherwise this would be ten out of ten.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cyclo2000
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I am a huge fan of this hotel. We stayed there in January 2011 and we just loved it. From the warm, rich fabrics to the carefully matched marble in the sumptuous bathroom. The hotel has been renovated lovingly and should be a Glasgow landmark, as it was in its RAC days. This was even the location of the RSAC staff headquarters and one of the starting locations for the 1955 Monte Carlo Rally. This hotel has done not only a beautiful city landmark justice, but also its history!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed for the Sunday night DBB offer, which was really good value, the reception staff were all really helpful and friendly. The room was lovely although a bit small, however the shower room was fantastic as was the luxurious free standing bath in a separate area.The room was spotless and noise free which is a luxury in itself in Glasgow!
The only thing that disappointed me was the residents evening meal menu, it was quite poor plus the wine list was expensive, but the breakfast was fab.I would definitely stay here again but only as B&B and would eat at one of the good restaurants in the city, my meal wasn't great.