“Excellent for lunch ”

Crossing the Rubicon
Ranked #628 of 2,631 Restaurants in Glasgow
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The food available for lunchtime is excellent. Wide range of Indian street food. The chicken tikka burrito was amazing. Very reasonably priced. Service was quick and staff were very friendly. Would highly recommend a visit.

1  Thank Lynsey D
Maxi C, Manager at Crossing the Rubicon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi Lynsey,

Thank you for the lovely review, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.
We're shaking things up with the menu in the next couple of weeks so pop back in and give it a go!

Cheers!

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I have been meaning to go to Crossing the Rubicon for ages but, what with it being the other side of the city from me, I'd not managed it until now. I really want to like this place: I like the concept, I like the design, I like the parent company.

However the food tonight was dreadful. Greasy deep-fried starters that tasted of old (if not dirty) oil, followed by a a dish of very basic, and overcooked, white rice with a lamb mince dish that was watery and tasted of generic curry powder (in huge quantities) and nothing else. I left well over half of it uneaten.

To top it off, the bread involved wasn't a naan, a paratha or even a plain chapatti but a halved, slightly toasted poor quality *bread roll* dumped on the side!

The rave reviews are quite mystifying.

The beer was fine.

I sent this review to some friends who went a couple of weeks ago (because I'd told them I heard this place was good). They say they had the same experience. So that was embarrassing.

1  Thank mymster
Maxi C, Manager at Crossing the Rubicon, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Hi Mymster,

I apologise that you felt your experience was not what you had hoped for, all of our food is made fresh and from scratch in house including the pav and our chefs work very hard to deliver food of a high standard, unfortunately with the sheer volume of bookings this week due to it being the last valid week of our itison offer, the kitchen have been stretched very thin. Whilst this is not an excuse, I hope you understand that the particular evening you were here was something of an anomaly. As of the 2nd week of April we will be taking the bar and the menu in a new direction, I do hope you will come back and try the food again.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Popped in for a quick lunch.
Great friendly welcome from the manager I think.
Menu is now a bit brief - so I ordered chicken pakora/ lollipops. Great portion and nicely done. Maybe a tad dry.

The lamb curry with rice and Pav ( bread ) was just right. I don’t like too spicy. But it had a kick.

Caesar at £3.50 is a steal!
Job done

( there was chat I overheard that they are continuing the menu changes but going more European next...shortly to start pizzas with a twist....intriguing....)
I’ll be back for whatever the food.
Love the laid back feel of the place. And I like the beer range and the prices ;)

1  Thank SteveGlasg0w

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed your afternoon with us.
We are indeed changing up the menu although we're keeping the final concept under wraps just now so watch this space....
Hope to see you again soon!

Cheers.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Live locally and been in a few times. Heard that they had changed the menu so wanted to try. Some very tasty starters in haggis pakora, cheese croquette, and magic puffy crispy things that came with delicious dipping sauces.

The main courses have shifted from curry towards a mexican-indian fusion. I had the chickpea tacos which I asked to be spicy and partner had a burrito. Mine was very tasty and my husbands was good but too slaw heavy for me. Overall the dishes were good but not as good the thali and curry options they used to do. Specifically miss the venison curry. The overall concept is interesting but doesn’t feel fully formed and is just a bit weird.

1  Thank Sarah D
Maxi C, Manager at Crossing the Rubicon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you decided to give us another go and you enjoyed your visit.
We have developed our menu to be a bit of a change from what you will find all over Glasgow and feel that we offer something unique. I hope you'll come back in and try out some of our other menu options!

Cheers,

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Went here with another couple through itison well worth it food was excellent only one thing was it was a curry served with a roll I think if they had served a pitta bread instead it would have been 10/10 but we'll worth trying

1  Thank elvin67
Maxi C, Public Relations Manager at Crossing the Rubicon, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Hello Elvin67

Thank you for taken the time to write a review. We try to do different breads at CTR. The roll you had was an Indain pav all made in house. Next time you are in be sure to tell us and we will have a couple of opptions.