“Not your typical American BBQ”
Review of Smoke Barbecue

Smoke Barbecue
Ranked #280 of 2,555 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: USD 14 - USD 28
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

BBQ in Scotland why not? The food was good, but not prepared in a typical American barbecue way.
I had a slab of St. Louis ribs, which came with a layer of fat on the top of the ribs. I'm not a fan of eating fat, but once I peeled the fat away the ribs were some of the most tender pork ribs I have ever eaten! My husband tried the cornbread, also a different take on making cornbread. It was almost a soufflé with jalapeño which made it quite spicy. My husband also had the burnt ends which came with a couple other cuts of meat which were unfortunately dry. Although the burnt ends were delicious.
The staff was quite funny from the time we sat down they asked us to let them know how authentic their BBQ was. By the end of our meal we invited them to USA to learn more about BBQ the American way – LOL.

Christine O, General Manager at Smoke Barbecue, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Hi Jak,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review we really appreciate your feedback! We look forward to seeing you again and please let us know next time how we can improve your experience.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 June 2017

Ws really looking forward to this place. Had the BBQ chicken and fries and a craft red beer. The beer was excellent, the rest of hte meal less so.
The chicken was very dry, no coleslaw, salad. The chps were awful twice fried and very greasy. There was so much food I can't believe the protion control is enforced.
Would I go back? No.

Christine O, General Manager at Smoke Barbecue, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Hi Jam551,
Thank you for taking time to write a review, we appreciate all feedback.
With regards to the chicken plate we do offer side salad and coleslaw (along with a variety of sides) as part of the meal if you chose to add that as your side at no extra cost, were you made aware of this option?
We do like our food big, inkeeping with our traditional American BBQ values, to make sure you get plenty of bite for your buck.
We're sorry you feel that you wouldn't like to return, but if you could drop us an email on glasgow@smokebbq.co.uk I'd be happy to look into this visit for you, and see if we can't entice you to give us a second chance.
Kind Regards.

Reviewed 11 June 2017

The staff here was very friendly and attentive. The barbecue was delicious! Being from Texas, our sauce is a tad more spicy, but the sauce here was nothing to complain about. We had a variety of dishes and none of us had any complaints! I would definitely return to dine here.

Christine O, General Manager at Smoke Barbecue, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Hi MindiSue,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, and amazing to hear it from someone who loves the traditional Texas smoke taste as much as we do. I have passed your lovely comments on to the team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

I've been wanting to try Smoke Barbecue for a while now and so was happy when I finally had the chance. I was anticipating something special but unfortunately Smoke did not deliver.

I ordered the chicken thighs and twice cooked chips. Unfortunately, the chips were the worst I've ever had in a restaurant - soggy and over cooked with a bad burnt after taste. I mentioned this to the waiter when they collected our plates and commented that I couldn't eat the entire portion because all that was left were small burnt bits. It seemed we had been served the chips that were perhaps at the bottom of the bag. Our waiter commented saying that 'the oil needed changed' in the fryer. I was surprised they told us this and I commented that I thought it was a lot to pay for that kind of quality, that had admittedly been cooked in over used oil that needed changed.

My chicken thighs were very plain and there was no evidence of the rub that our waiter said was used in the preparation of the chicken.

Our waitress who served us at the beginning was very friendly and helpful.

Overall, I'm really disappointed as I had really high hopes for this place and was really looking forward to it. The food unfortunately does not live up to the good interior of the restaurant. Unfortunately I won't be back.

Hi Ntrob,
We appreciate you taking the time to review and for highlighting these issues to us. Firstly we would like to apologise as this is not how we want our food to be presented, and would like to thank you for aknowledging the good service provided by our waitress.
We take all feedback seriously and would like to speak to you directly so that we can hopefully investigate this experience thoroughly. If you would please email us at glasgow@smokebbq.co.uk with some more details of your visit and the best way to contact you, I would like to address this personally. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

We recently tried this place as we had seen it on social media and it was really good. It was really reasonably priced and you get a lot of food for what you pay!! We booked a table as it was a Saturday and we didn't know how busy it would be. It was really busy but we got there about 20 minutes early and our table was ready which was good! Since then we have went back a second time and I got the exact same thing - second time wasn't as great as the chicken had obviously been lying for a while but that was the only issue we have had! Apart from that the food is amazing.

Hi Hannah,
Thanks you so much for your review. I will pass your comments on to the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon!