3,841 results
All reviewsla cucinakittocks denrock and spindlecourtesy busgolf coursebar and grillafternoon teabeautiful hotelchanging roomsspa treatmentsleisure facilitiesfront of housesea viewgreat golfspecial occasionjunior suitebirthday treat
Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

Very disappointed by this hotel. Spa was great with lovely staff.
Room staff appalling no complimentary water. Room was not replenished on our second day. No sugar for tea, no biscuits tiny bottle of shower gel for two of us. The hotel was not cheap and this was not what I was expecting. Breakfast was a shambles. No one clearing tables. Had to wait 20 mins for a table. On our first day we went for lunch into Kittocks bar. Had to go to bar and ask for service.
Unfortunately my granddaughter left her GHD hair straighteners in room and called to see if they'd been handed in. No reply from housekeeping as was promised. If they are not handed in I can only assume they have been stolen by room staff. Very upsetting.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Toots3022
JohnKeating_Fairmont, General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay.

I am terribly sorry for the issues that you have raised and I have discussed them with the various department Managers on how they can improve on these points.

Thank you again for taking the time to post a review and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2017

Have stayed here on two occasions the last being 15 March 2018 for two nights. Very efficient friendly reception staff and the hotel itself is large and finished to a very high standard. We had a Fairmont room which I would recommend . I have no complaints about this hotel ate in the grill restaurant which is also the club house for the Golf Course that I have played on a few occasions .
However my main problem was that the fire alarm system repeatedly went of throughout our visit on the first day, causing a 40 minute wait outside on the first occasion and then waking me up and nearly giving me a heart attack at about 5.30 in the morning, what annoyed me was that no apology was offered concerning this which was poor.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
JohnKeating_Fairmont, General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay as we value all guest feedback to help us improve on the service and facilities. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay however I am very sorry for the disturbance caused by the Fire Alarm and that this was not conveyed to you at check out.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

We've visited this hotel before and loved it and we loved this visit too. The staff are great and the atmosphere is relaxed whether you are a couple, with your family, mates on a golf trip, or even on your own.

The only quibble I have about this visit has nothing to do with the staff - they are great, but I have to ask who chose the colour scheme, decor, and lighting for the refurbishment. What was once a bright, airy hotel is now so dark. The corridors to the rooms are so dark they reming me of "Doom" or "Quake"; I'm showing my age now.

Be sure, this did not spoil our enjoyment of the stay or experience of the hotel, but I did wonder what kind of interior designer would choose a dark grey green for the predominant colour of what was once a bright and airy atrium.

Room Tip: Deluxe suites are expensive but good. Try and get one with a good view.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us however I am sorry that the new decor is not to your taste. I hope this will not deter you from revisiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2017

Few words can describe the pure happiness we found ourselves in while staying at this fantastic hotel. Surrounded by 42 golf courses among which the legendary Old course of St Andrews, it lies just off the coast with spectacular views of the north sea and two of the hotels own beautiful golf courses. I took my father here for a special father and son golf break for his 60th birthday. We had an amazing time here which we will never forget.

Of course credit should be given where it is earned, so i took the liberty of writing down the names of the members of staff that helped make our weekend so memorable.

The first people that i would like to thank are Charlie and Kevin from the concierge. It is thanks to these two gentleman that we had the honour of playing the Old course as they put us into the ballot and arranged a tee time for us. They even played with us as a 4-ball which enhanced the experience infinitely as they had some great facts and stories that they told us as we were playing the course. They have provided the best service anyone could ever ask for and even went way beyond that!!

Next i would like to thank all the staff at the door. As my dad was suffering from a small knee injury, it was never a problem to get a shuttle down to the golf course and restauran, . bags were taken to our room upon arrival, water was provided when we went to play golf and of course the valet parking. I could not fault any of these gentleman even if i wanted to. Service was always quick and efficient, and we always had a laugh in the process. We always left and arrived to the hotel with a smile. So a big thank you to Davie (love the kilt!!), Chris (who remembered me from a year ago which was ridiculously impressive), Phill (also thanks for the fantastic single malt fudge), Ken and Patrick (for always driving us when we needed assistance).

The grill is an absolute MUST. The views from the restaurant were just breathtaking. make sure you go there for the sunset even if it is just for a drink. Service here is also fantastic as it is in the rest of the hotel. A special thank you will go out to Liz who served us our lunch and accommodated a nice juicy steak for my father even though it was of a dinner menu, and also Theresa who really perfected service with a smile, and Cindy who was incredibly helpful. Everyone made us feel so incredibly at home that we never wanted to leave. The food is as you expect to die for and the wine delicious!

Joao from front office checked us in and also out. He Provided prosseco for me and my father upon arrival to celebrate his birthday which was a really nice touch. I feel this gentleman will come very far in his career in hospitality, as he is a fantastic host and really knows his stuff!!

Christina was faultless when managing our booking for dinner. When she noticed me observing some menus she was quick enough to lend a hand without being pushy. She really got me excited for dinner and i'll be sure to see her again if i need further bookings in the future.

Unfortunatly the name of our waiter and host in the Italian restaurant escapes me but also a massive thank you to the staff there. the food was brilliant and the wine divine! This is also a great place for you to dine when you have children.

I also don't have any names for the housekeepers as i haven't encountered any, but they have done a fantastic job. The rooms were amazing and were also kept amazing during our stay. Upon arrival there was a little birthday amenity with a note for my father which was a nice touch that he greatly appreciated.

Once more a big thank you to anyone whom i may have forgotten or haven't met (such as the chefs who have done a brilliant job throughout!! or the lovely lady who served our room service twice)

You have all made our trip one of the best trips we have ever been on and will cherish it for a lifetime. In the future i'll be sure to come back with my fiance who doesn't golf but will certainly appreciate the landscape and little towns, and also my mom who will fall in love with Scotland like i have on this trip.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Thank J.T. S

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review and for choosing Fairmont St Andrews for your special Bucketlist trip with your father. I am absolutely delighted that you both had such a wonderful time and will pass on your comments to the Management team to share with their departments.

Thank you again for your lovely comments and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

Upon arrival the hotel looks great. It is a bit out of town and has a nice view. The rooms are generous in size, however, the attention to detail as far as cleanliness is concerned is unacceptable. We had to request the hallway be vacuumed, the rooms needed dusting and the restaurant floors and tables were always dirty. The highchairs at breakfast were disgusting and we had to clean them before we could use them. This is a hotel that is in high demand and constantly full and they have not made cleanliness a priority. The service for afternoon tea was very slow. We waited almost forty minutes and finally left because we had not received anything to eat or drink. Many staff members were very friendly and we had several that did not seem to care about our concerns.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Scottyp2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am terribly sorry that the cleanliness was not up to standard during your stay and I have addressed these points with our Executive Housekeeper and the Breakfast Manager to action immediate improvements.

Again, my apologies for these issues and I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind Regards