“Broken toilet, unwelcoming staff and dirty tables.”

the golden bite Kirkcaldy
Ranked #40 of 146 Restaurants in Kirkcaldy
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I came in here today with the intention of using the toilet and having a quick thing to eat, but I changed my mind as soon as I went in. No staff could be seen helping customers, they were all huddled in a corner chatting. The toilet is extremely nasty and doesn't flush. The light doesn't work either. Once I'd left the toilet a member of staff was cleaning the tables. All she did was dab the same cloth on the corner of each table. Unhygienic. I'm extremely unimpressed and will not return for food.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Viperinelight50

Reviewed 31 January 2018

we have breakfast rolls here,we always enjoy them and theres lots of choices,the cups of teas are even good.fish teas available too

Date of visit: December 2017
2  Thank Ann C
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

My friend and I meet regularly and after a bad experience at another restaurant decided to give this one a go. Food was good, nice big cooked breakfast for a reasonable price. Service was great and the server even accepted is being pernickety with what we did and didn't want with our breakfasts. Overall good experience

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank Amie K
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I visited the cafe intent on having the all day breakfast.
Cafe was not busy only 6 customers including me.
I chose a table next to the kitchen where the all female staff were congregated.
I sat at the table fro 15 minutes. No notices or indication that the cafe was self service or waitress service.
3 different members of staff, in between their constant gossiping, passed my table coming into the cafe and going back to the kitchen.
No acknowledgement that I was there, no advice on how to order, no customer service whatsoever.
Their most important function was to talk and chatter with their colleagues.
After 15 minutes I got up and walked out.
I will never go back to this cafe and recommend that potential customers do likewise. Clearly the management and training of the staff is woefully inadequate and there is nil customer awareness and service.

Date of visit: August 2017
2  Thank stuartgatensby
Reviewed 5 August 2017

Visited this place last week, only two other customers sitting, at first thought perhaps they were closing, as a waitress was at the far end hoovering, we sat down as the waitress continued to hoover, opposite us, another waitress walked past us several times straightening chairs etc. No one bothered to come to the table or even acknowledge we were there, after several minutes I asked "did we have to order ourselves" "yes" was the reply. I went to the counter ordered fish and chips. Was asked did we want milk in our tea, took 4 attempts for the waitress to understand 2 teas with milk, 1 with 2 sweetners.
The fish & chips were generous size for a pensioners fish supper, however the chips were frozen chips deep fried, not the usual chip shop ones, lots of chips and a huge portion of marrowfat peas (too many),
There was brown sauce and vinegar on the table, but no tomato sauce, when I went back to the counter to ask for tomato sauce, I was told it was 10 per sachet ? found this really odd, is there a shortage of tomato sauce in Kirkaldy.
The friend I was with paid the bill, and gave a generous tip, which was definitely not deserved, as we did not receive a service the staff were totally disinterested, it was as if we were invisible.

Date of visit: July 2017