Zizzi - Edinburgh Queensferry Street
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: At Zizzi we like to do things a little differently. We don’t do over-complicated recipes or scrimpy portion sizes. We’re all about the well-chosen ingredients, simply put together to make exceptional Italian food.Our Edinburgh Queensferry is within easy access to all of the city’s main attractions. Located in the West End of Edinburgh at the end of Princes Street and close to the elegant George Street within easy access to all of the city's main attractions, this restaurant is perfect for an intimate meal for two, business lunch or a family meal before the theatre, a destination for the evening, a starting or finishing point for the night. The restaurant is beautiful but small, so we strongly advise booking ahead.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Nice pleasant atmosphere and very lovely food. We both enjoyed it very much, will be back. My sea bass, garlic mayo and fried potatoes was yummy. My friend loved his King prawn risotto.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

The female manager in black with long hair was lovely when she greeted us, gave us the option of where we would like to sit and then got us a couple of glasses of water as soon as we sat down and got us the vegan menu with pleasure and a smile- so far, so good.

Our male waiter then came to take our drinks order, he offered no pleasantries of a hello, just are you ready to order drinks. Once ordered he did not ask if we were ready to order and just walked off.

Returning with our drinks, again he just walked off without asking if we were ready to order. I caught his eye and he came over to us. We placed our order, it was like talking to a robot- no personality and no smile. Once ordered I tend to expect the order to be read back to me, communication is key and it helps to ensure mistakes aren’t made or misunderstanding are prevented before they occur.

The starters arrived, we were sharing but the male waiter didn’t offer side plates- we had to ask. Again, I feel this should be part of a waiters or waitresses general section awareness to note these things and provide them before being asked.

Our starters plates were taken away by the female blonde waitress, without enquiring as to how the food was. Again, I don’t want to be fussed over but the interaction is nice to have to feel like a valued customer. It would also have been a chance to tell her we had found a hair in the beetballs- it didn’t bother us as we were so hungry but this feedback should be important.

The female manager in black with the short hair came to replace our cutlery, and was genuinely warm when doing so, she thought I had jumped when she put the cutlery down and made a joke which made me feel like she cared about our time in the restaurant.

Our mains were brought over by our original male waiter, this time he clicked we were sharing the pizza so brought extra plates (credit where it’s due), however didn’t ask if we would like a spoon for the Ragu (again common sense- it’s a sloppy dish!). He didn’t say ‘enjoy your food’ or variation, nor asked if we would like a top up on drinks (we were probably only 1/3 full at this point).

No check back done, yes we were demolishing the food as it was so tasty! I was still eating the last bite of pizza when our plates were whipped away. I would have hoped for ‘are you all finished, how was everything?’ Kind of conversation but I don’t think he uttered a word. He came back and from the waiter station asked my partner if we wanted dessert menus (not would we like to look at dessert menus), not even acknowledging I was there, I couldn’t see as he was standing behind me. Dessert was declined, but there was a chance to upsell a coffee or more drinks- which was missed.

Whilst I dislike being asked if I would like the bill, the general consensus for me is the phrase ‘can I get you anything else?’ Tends to lead to the guest/customer asking for the bill. We chose to get up and ask for the bill, which was brought over to us by the female blonde waitress.

When she took our payment on card at the table she made no effort to interact, ask us how our food was or if we had any plans for the rest of the day- nothing. When leaving we walked past both the male and female waiter and waitress, neither of whom offered a thank you or even just a goodbye. The female manager in black with the short hair was busy doing admin but still managed to thank us on our way out.

The food was phenomenal - the reason we come is the vegan menu is so good and full of flavours but this time your staff really let you down. I hope this feedback is taken in the way it is intended- to improve where perhaps people working every day don’t notice. You have a good concept and excellent price point, so the service is the only negative in my opinion. I had sent this feedback via email as this visit was a week ago, but having not had a response (I do appreciate it being bank holiday), I feel it is fair to post.

2  Thank sazza1952
Reviewed 23 March 2018

Portions size were really big enough. Materials were fresh and mild. Wooden plate what they used for portion was not good. These were broken and are these clean.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Two of us went for dinner on a midweek evening, and despite the restaurant being quiet we had very slow service - waiting more than 20 mins for someone to come and take our food order, and then the same again trying to get the bill after we had finished eating. Our original waiter had disappeared and it felt we had been forgotten. Other than the service, good location and standard Zizzi food.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Ate here with my wife, we have eaten in different Zizzi restaurants and have always found a warm welcome, good food at a reasonable price