“Poor”

China Red
Ranked #653 of 2,684 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: USD 12 - USD 21
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

We went for a change got told we do not accept card cash only why? Then the price the kids was £7.99 and only had a plate of noodles and £14.99 for a adult so its expensive when I can pay half that at my local take away and better quality.
The food was dry the sweet and sour did not taste like sweet and sour sauce the food had a skin on it like the chicken curry the ribs are cold and the staff had there faces stuck in there mobile phones. I did not get one member of staff leaving on his break and then walked in with a Mc Donald’s ?????

1  Thank Jck25064999

Reviewed 7 January 2018

This was one of the better Chinese buffets I have tried. Huge selection and food seemed fresh, although not nearly warm enough (a problem with most buffets, though, to be fair). So many choices for appetisers, mains, and desserts, I was very pleased with the selection available. However, the prices seemed very high to me - not so bad for lunch, but the dinner price that I paid seemed steep. Drinks are not cheap either so stick with the tap water...

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Was nearby and decided to nip in. Didn't realise they had taken the conveyor belt out. All in all the food was of a decent quality and warm enough. The staff were polite and efficient, taking the finished plates away quickly. The chef cooking the beef steak got it perfectly for my liking (medium rare). Good selection of starters, mains and deserts. Had the free refills for our soft drinks too.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

First lunchtime visit since they took out the conveyor and converted to a srandard buffet. No dim sum at lunchtime, very few starters,poor choice of mains and limited desserts. Quality of the food was poor with many dishes overcooked and dry noodle dishes.

Parking very difficult as usual.

Real shame this used to be my favourite restaurant , website very misleading stilll shows up as conveyor with a wide choice of food

2  Thank Tom W
Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

Lots of people I know go here so I decided to give it a shot. I was a bit wary given the recent negative reviews but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Food was tasty and warm. Having never experienced the conveyor belt, I didn’t miss it. Maybe we were fortunate in that we were there for it opening so the food was all fresh. If I could make one suggestion, it would be keeping the plates heated as I agree, the food does cool down quickly on cold plates.

Service was really nice, especially the young man with the tattoos. Plates were cleared away quickly but we never felt rushed. Soft drinks were free refills which was welcome. They could easily bump prices up by charging each time the glass was filled as many places do but they don’t, and it was appreciated.

Would definitely go back. Plenty of variety and I enjoyed everything I had. Yes, lots of dishes you get at standard Chinese buffets but the dumplings were excellent and are something I struggle to get where I live so I ate my fill here.