“Very average, no conveyor, loved the yo sushi style small plates, now all gone! ”
Review of China Red

China Red
Ranked #654 of 2,684 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: USD 12 - USD 21
Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

Such a shame, our favourite buffet is now just another bog standard buffet with trays of food being kept warm and diners paddling through the trays.

We use to love the individual bowls of fresh Chinese food on the conveyor system. Delicious. Was a brilliant novelty place for the kids.

Don’t think we’ll be back sadly

1  Thank Familyof4Edinburgh

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

The food very disappointing lacking of taste. Dessert was ok. Most disappointing part of dinner is the staff were cleaning up whiles we were eating and the Chinese boss(?)with a black uniform kept shouting to the girls to clean faster and talking to them in an absolutely unacceptable way.
Horrific to see and in front of customers?!? Poor staff that work under that man. Unacceptable in my opinion. Will never go back or recommend ever

1  Thank MariaTma
Reviewed 6 December 2017

So disappointing that they've done away with the conveyor belt at the New Market Road venue. We loved going there, but it's just a bog standard buffet now and simply not the same experience. Place was empty when we were there and the food was going cold and congealed. Food options are not as good any more either and the cheap pizza from Asda next door was very poor. The removal of the ice cream machine is another poor decision. The experience of having the conveyor belt and not having to break conversation with your party in order to keep going up to refill your plate was what made this place special. I fear for their future after this big mistake.

1  Thank edinburgheurohiker
Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

Visited for my husbands birthday recently. Staff where really friendly and the place was clean and modern. Lots of choices.highly recommended if you like Chinese food.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

My wife and I were trying to decide where to go for some Chinese food and since I'd heard some good things about this place we thought we'd try it instead of going to a good Chinese nearby. It was not a wise decision. We went to the restaurant in New Market Street rather than the one at Grindlay Street. The restaurant has a classier appearance than similar buffet places but that's probably the best thing about it. There were no vegetarian main dishes so it was a choice of rice, spring rolls, chips, onion rings, other friend items and some vegetable side dishes. Fairly poor. The overall standard of the food was mediocre at best and it's just another buffet place where the food sits out going stale if it's not consumed. My wife isn't a vegetarian and she didn't enjoy her food either. We also had to ask twice for more drinks as the staff forgot all about them when we asked the first time. The best thing about my meal was the fresh fruit I had for dessert. Would I go back? I highly doubt it.