“Bring back the conveyor belt!”
Review of China Red

China Red
Ranked #598 of 2,628 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: USD 13 - USD 22
Reviewed 6 December 2017

So disappointing that they've done away with the conveyor belt at the New Market Road venue. We loved going there, but it's just a bog standard buffet now and simply not the same experience. Place was empty when we were there and the food was going cold and congealed. Food options are not as good any more either and the cheap pizza from Asda next door was very poor. The removal of the ice cream machine is another poor decision. The experience of having the conveyor belt and not having to break conversation with your party in order to keep going up to refill your plate was what made this place special. I fear for their future after this big mistake.

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

Visited for my husbands birthday recently. Staff where really friendly and the place was clean and modern. Lots of choices.highly recommended if you like Chinese food.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

My wife and I were trying to decide where to go for some Chinese food and since I'd heard some good things about this place we thought we'd try it instead of going to a good Chinese nearby. It was not a wise decision. We went to the restaurant in New Market Street rather than the one at Grindlay Street. The restaurant has a classier appearance than similar buffet places but that's probably the best thing about it. There were no vegetarian main dishes so it was a choice of rice, spring rolls, chips, onion rings, other friend items and some vegetable side dishes. Fairly poor. The overall standard of the food was mediocre at best and it's just another buffet place where the food sits out going stale if it's not consumed. My wife isn't a vegetarian and she didn't enjoy her food either. We also had to ask twice for more drinks as the staff forgot all about them when we asked the first time. The best thing about my meal was the fresh fruit I had for dessert. Would I go back? I highly doubt it.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Conveyor Belt removed
Sauces watery
Selection not great
Does not take card payment

Will not return again as went for conveyor belt and quality/selection

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

Always gave it a 10 out of 10 but now a 4. Revamped and upped prices for cold food , warm sushi and congealed food . Absolutely devastated as loved the place .My dog would have turned her nose up at what was on offer. Couldn’t get my teeth through the duck and starters all soggy . Everything tasted as if it had been sitting for hours . Always busy on Friday lunch but today only 16 in . Sorry but wouldn’t go again . Shame!

1  Thank Lesley M