“excellent sushi”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Went there with a friend for birthday, ordered dragon roll, quite large portions, very filling, highly recommended.

Reviewed 5 April 2016

After finishing with our university classes, me and my flatmate decided to go somewhere to grab a quick bite and we ended up at Ichiban. The service firstly was really good and fast. We ordered miso soups, salmon sashimi, different selection of maki rolls and california rolls. Everything came fast and the presentation was excellent. It is still not the best sushi I have ever tried but I was very satisfied. I ended up ordering some extra for home. Would recommend.

Reviewed 8 March 2016

People saying its the best sushi in Edinburgh are delusional and/or employees of the restaurant. Just ordered £18 worth of take away food that I ended up throwing in the trash.

Reviewed 5 January 2016

Beware of this restaurant - especially if you suffer from MSG sensitivity or any food allergies!

Firstly, this restaurant is nothing to do with the chain of restaurants named 'Ichiban' which are usually of a good standard. We were cautious because it appeared to have a lot of Chinese dishes on the menu - which usually indicates MSG to be used in the food, and I am allergic, and my partner also very sensitive.

We decided to speak to the staff, who said that although they use MSG in a few dishes, the sushi had none. We asked about the soy sauce, which they said definitely didn't have any MSG either. I proceeded to ask about every possible ingredient which would come with the sushi and they assured us there would be no MSG in any of it.

So we took them on their word, and ordered three different plates of vegetarian sushi. It wasn't particularly tasty so we decided against ordering more and asked for the bill and left. Walking towards the city centre, twenty minutes later I started feeling very strange and my partner also noticed some strange effect from the food. I became very dizzy and light headed, suffering shortness of breath which was extremely concerning. We made our way into a bar to rest and order a herbal tea to relax, I ended up having to go to the toilet to vomit - my partner also suffered very unpleasant effects, and it usually takes a fair bit of MSG for him to feel any effect at all.

Considering we only ate 10 pieces of sushi each, it seems very unlikely there was just some trace amount which found its way into our food. If we had eaten a full meal here I think it possible that I could have experienced anaphylactic shock. Even giving the staff the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know there was MSG in the sushi they serve - the confidence with which they stated there is no MSG after being told that I was allergic to it made me feel disrespected and genuinely hurt,

I fully acknowledge that for most people these things have very little effect, and allergies are something not everyone needs to worry about. However, for those of us who have to deal with these sensitivities, it can be dangerous and potentially life threatening when such dietary requirements are ignored.

I can only recommend that anyone with allergies or food sensitivities stay well clear of this restaurant. Otherwise you might just get by with a meal to keep your hunger at bay until you eat some proper food.

5  Thank Marianna D
Reviewed 28 December 2015

After climbing the Arthur's Seat we were looking for a restaurant to have lunch. Ichiban was one of only a few restaurants that were open so we chose this one. Starters: Tako Yaki and Gyoza. It was delicious. main dish: My boyfriend took the BBQ eel with rice and I ordered Teriyaki Chicken with fried Udon noodles. We can recommend both dishes! Tako Yaki were even better than the ones we ate in Japan. We were positively surprised by this small restaurant.