“Dosa delight”

Golden Ambal North & South Indian Restauarant
Ranked #324 of 2,701 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: USD 13 - USD 26
Cuisines: Indian
Description: Golden Ambal offer authentic South Indian and North Indian cuisine in Edinburgh Leith Walk location. A kitchen full of chefs with five-star hotel experience produces dishes spanning the full spectrum of Indian cooking, and all efforts are made to replicate the feel of a meal that's been home-cooked in mum's kitchen..Without using any ARTIFICAL COLOURING.!!!
Reviewed 1 July 2016

This place is a find and has become one of our favourites, as we live locally. The dosas are really tasty so we haven't tried anything else apart from delicious starters. However the place struggles a bit because of the layout - upstairs has only a few tables and can be a bit cold and bleak, whereas downstairs is much more spacious and cosy even if the décor is a bit weird. Service is on the leisurely side, very obliging but not great if you're in a hurry - however it's because they're cooking from scratch so it's worth the wait. They also have very extensive list showing what's in all the dishes so that people with allergies can choose what to have, which isn't something I've seen elsewhere and is thoughtful of them. Happy to ignore the little imperfections for such nice food and friendly service!

1  Thank Catherine H

Reviewed 26 June 2016

we tried Dosas and chilli garlic Fish.
The food is very average. Lot of scope for improvement.
We ordered different dosas but we end up with exactly the same dosa, this tells the whole story. sambar was the only good thing.

Reviewed 17 June 2016

Just popped in. Really tasty North Indian flavours. Delicious. Very friendly service and no hurry. Very enjoyable.

Reviewed 15 June 2016

We went to Golden Ambal few weeks ago. What an amazing food! It was presented beautifully and tasted amazing. The place was not very busy at the time so we were served very efficiently and checked upon few times. Happy that we found this great place - will definitely be back.

Reviewed 4 June 2016

Really nice place, relaxed atmosphere, great service and wonderful food. The food was faultless hence the high rating. As it was my first time here, I went for a classic curry, I think this is a good way of telling if a restaurant is good. I had a lamb rogen josh. It was possibly the best I have every had, the flavours were punchy but not too spicy, the meat perfectly cooked. I had a naan to accompany the curry and I am glad I did, this was perfectly cooked and was a taste sensation. Both my friends also raved about their dishes and we all left full and happy. Reasonable in price, not over generous portions but it still filled me up. Definitely going back here again,

golden a, Manager at Golden Ambal North & South Indian Restauarant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2016

Dear guest,

Greetings from Team Golden Ambal!

We thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor.
I sincerely appreciate the wonderful feedback that you have shared about our food and service.
At Golden Ambal it is our endeavor to ensure that every single guest leaves as an ambassador of our restaurant. We are delighted to read that we have exceeded your expectations.

We thank you ones again for choosing our restaurant for your dining experience.

Best Regards,