See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I just had a delightful three-day stay at Penny and Richard’s. No. 38 Dublin Street is in a great location – centrally located yet in a quiet, mostly residential area. It is a charming old place that is very comfortably appointed and with all the modern conveniences. I had the front family room with a sitting area all to myself. I felt so comfortable that I fell asleep on the couch one evening thinking about what to do the next day. Penny and Richard run the B&B extremely efficiently, but that isn’t to say there is anything impersonal or overly business-like about the place. On the contrary, they are both extremely friendly and helpful, and that’s what makes this B&B very special. Breakfast was not only about a delicious and nourishing meal, but it was also about fascinating chats with Penny and Richard about the local history and places to visit as well as about their exploits in the world. I felt as if I were staying with old friends and wished I could have stayed longer. I’m definitely going to stay with them on my next visit to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Smiling faces, excellent breakfast, beautiful spacious room and a crazy little dog!
Just perfect!
We felt more like staying with friends...
We will definately go back...
p.s: Don't worry about the dog. He is not everywhere. We just saw him and we wanted to meet him... :)

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank Vassiano
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Return trip to No.38 after the refurbishment. Penny and Richard welcomed us back like long lost friends and, like last time, did everything possible to make us feel at home. After eating one of Penny's breakfasts food shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the day. This time we wandered across to Broughton St to eat (2 mins walk) and were impressed by the variety of eating places there - it's not one of the usual tourist destinations. One other tip - the only place I could get a signal for my wireless internet was sitting right at the top of the bed...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jpmcc_ta
Reviewed 8 January 2011

My Mum and I stayed here over the weekend of 10th December so we could do some Xmas shopping in Edinburgh.
I have been to Edinburgh numerous times and stayed in a few different places but this was by far the best.
Very well located, good value for money, comfortable room (although a bit hot at times and the water pressure was a little on the low side in the shower but no biggy) but the best part of the stay was our host Richard Airey.
I am not sure how things usually work, I think his wife, Penny, normally deals with the guests but she was laid up with her foot in plaster, but Richard was superb.
Very helpful, extremely knowledgeable about Edinburgh and its History, recommended a fab seafood restaurant (The Mussel Inn - Rose Street) and local bar (Cumberland Inn 0 Cumberland St),. Fascinating chap - he spent many years living at either the North or South pole (can't recall which) and had plenty of tales regarding his experiences.
Breakfast was at a communal dinning table with real silver ware and porridge like I have never had before!
Very highly recommended and would stay again in a heart beat.

Thanks Richard.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank R4chyroo
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I stayed at No 38 for two nights (without my husband), as I was visiting my daughter who is studying at Edinburgh University. My room was very pretty, looking out onto the garden. It was also very quiet, and with a comfortable bed. Since I was travelling on my own, I particularly enjoyed the fact that breakfast was served around one large table, as I had the opportunity to meet other guests, rather than sitting on my own! The breakfasts were very good and there was no chance of getting hungry for a good few hours afterwards. Penny and Richard are both very welcoming and happy to take the time to chat. I hope to visit again next summer with my husband when our daughter graduates.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo