All reviews perfect hosts complimentary wine quiet street hosts james and angela breakfast was delicious within walking distance lovely home bed and breakfast friendly hosts highly recommend this b b georgian house yogurt royal mile each morning train station modern bathroom power shower
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We had a lovely time at 14 Hart Street. We couldn't fault it in any way. Whilst there are only a handful of guest rooms, the property itself is very spacious and elegant. In many ways it felt more like a luxury boutique hotel than a b&b in the traditional sense. The rooms are beautiful, even more so than in the photos. The dining room was a particular highlight and the breakfast itself was excellent with a full range of choice from any variation of cooked breakfasts through to cereals and pancakes. The hosts were extremely friendly, welcoming and attentive from start to finish.

It is in the perfect location, you can reach the Old town or any part of New town in 5-10 minutes. We also discovered (thanks to the very helpful hosts) that one side entrance to the train station is actually less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel. The local high street (Broughton St) is another highlight, with a great selection of cafes, delis, restaurants, a few quirky vintage shops and a second hand bookshop to complete the middle class boehemian ambience. We also found it refreshing that this part of town is mostly frequented by locals (quite unlike the touristy old town).

Overall a great short break - we will be coming back!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SouthLondonR
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed for three nights at 14 Hart Street, and couldn't have been happier with my choice. The hosts are extremely hospitable and helped with all my travel questions. The room was beautifully decorated, the bed was comfortable with lovely linens, and the bathroom turned out to be the best of my trip, with a great shower. The dining room is decorated with heirloom china and paintings, and the breakfasts were delicious. The location is perfect for accessing city transportation and there is a great assortment of restaurants in the vicinity. 14 Hart Street was the perfect beginning to my trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank elizanAustin
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We travelled to Edinburgh from the U.S. in early October and stayed at 14 Hart Street for two nights. We were warmly welcomed upon our arrival and the hospitality continued throughout our stay. James and Angela were excellent hosts (our favorites on this trip) and tended to our every need - calling a cab, giving directions, recommending restaurants, printing out itineraries, letting us borrow an umbrella, etc. The B&B is just a short walk from shopping or eating in New Town, and certainly walkable to the Castle and Royal Mile. The bedroom featured hard wood floors, garden view, comfy bed, and a very very good shower (something not always available in the UK...). The breakfast was made to order, delicious, and served in a wonderful dining room with antique furniture. We truly enjoyed our visit, and look forward to staying with James and Angela again. Cheers!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BluesFan1905
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stayed at 14 Harts Street for 2 nights with my 15 yr old daughter during our visit in Edinburgh at the beginning of October. 14 Harts Street is a very cozy and comfortable b&b, much much better than expected. It is just 10 miniutes walking distance from the railway station and the city centre. Nice restaurants and shopping centres are all nearby. The room that we stayed was big, clean and quiet. The bed is comfy and we had very good sleep during our stay. The hosts James and Angela were very accommodating and attended to all our needs. The breakfast which we had in their gorgeous dinning room was excellent. The whole stay was very value for money. We were so happy that we could stay in such a superb place during our Edinburgh visit. We definitely will recommend it to any of our friends when they go to Edinburgh. We, of course, will stay there again when we come to visit next time!!!
Thanks very much, James and Angela!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Inyng
Reviewed 28 October 2011

First of all - thank you James, Angela, and Betty (their very helpful housekeeper)!! I could not believe my good fortune to have such a lovely room, "The Brass", to myself. Usually, when I am on my own and book a single room, I get a tiny room with a single bed. I have stayed in quite a few guesthouses in the UK, France, and Italy and this place goes beyond pride of a historic house. I get a little tired of either the very minimalist look (dreary when one is on one's own) or the wonderful house, but rather tired amenities and out-dated decor.
14 Hart Street is a beautiful family home that has been opened up for guests, yet provides as much privacy as one might wish for. A previous review complained that it was in the "basement" and was dark. I did not find this at all the case as it is the ground floor of a traditional terraced house. James and Angela have collected many fine antiques and pictures that give it a wonderful ambience.
I have had arrogant hosts or indifferent ones, especially toward the end of the tourist season, but James and Angela, even though they were preparing for their own vacation, always had enough time and patience to help with queries. They were not there the morning I had to depart, but Betty, their housekeeper stayed so that I could delay my departure and I really appreciated it. She even tried to call our next B&B for me as I couldn't see to make the connection. I am sure she stayed at least two hours beyond what she might have stayed -she's worked for the family and her pride in the establishment is very apparent. Thank you, Betty, for your help.
What you see on the photos is indeed true to the B&B - not like many others which end up being a disappointment when one arrives. There are luxury touches, like the whiskey and wine tray and the fine, ironed, linen table cloths at breakfast. What a beautiful dining room with delicious breakfasts! I was fortunate to have the brass room with the very large modern bathroom with walk-in shower - just make sure you don't touch the top lever!!!
There are many very good restaurants just minutes away. I liked the Urban Angel for light meals and L`Esgargot Bleu for a very reasonable prix fixe dinner between 5-7 p.m.
I loved Edinburgh and staying at 14 Hart St. made this 6 night stay very memorable.
Thank you James and Angela.
p.s. If you are reading this - my husbands mother is doing all right, thank goodness, but we had to leave Scotland just two days into our trip to the Highlands. However, we were relieved that she is stable. We will have to plan another time to come to Scotland!
I loved Edinburgh and all its sights and staying at 14 Hart Street helped make my 6 night stay very memorable.

Room Tip: Brass room bed is very comfortable and lovely but it has a traditional double, not a queen.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo