“Superb Edinburgh hotel”
Review of Tigerlily Hotel

Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This was our 2nd visit & this in a standard room but every bit as good as our previous stay. Spacious cosy room with all the little extra touches of luxury. Our evening meal & room served breakfast were great & very attentative staff. We will be back next year for another weekend in this superb Edinburgh hotel.

Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed 9 April 2012

My partner and I have always dreamed of running a hotel.
After staying at Tigerlily, there are some things that we have learned...

- A restaurant is a restaurant. The food here is divine. But I'd rather have bad food and be able to hear what my partner is saying, than have to lean over the table to hear what my partner is saying over the thumping techno music. Decide whether you're a trendy cocktail bar or a restaurant.
- Designers are good at designing, not hotel designing. Yes, suede covers for your chairs look wonderful... for a while. Then, after a few months, when your guests sit down for breakfast, all they can see is last night's carnage of spilt drinks, and for all we know, bodily fluids, sprayed about the seatcovers. Washable covers are key!
- And on the same point, the first thing we noticed on walking into our room, was a beige rug, horribly stained and foot-marked. Yes, it complimented the wallpaper, but detracted badly from the overall impression of the room.
- Walk-in showers are a wonder of the modern age.... yet, minimal lighting does not serve to cover up the horrendous accumulation of mould and fungus in the grout.
- Bass drivers work beautifully for your trendy cocktail bar. And at £8-9 per cocktail, that's a good idea. Not so good though, if you happen to have a room on the 1st floor, as we were in room 3, where the cleverly-mounted ceiling speakers vibrated bass drums through our room until at least midnight.
- Abstract electronica is not a good backgroung music for breakfast. I thought the couple next to us had really bad flatulence.
- If I order a continental breakfast, and an omlette, that should not take 25 minutes to arrive.
- And if I order continental, and you bring me lots of marmalade, jam, and cheese, I would like more than two slices of toast.
- Parking is key. I was told that I could park in Castle Terrace. Oooh, great. It was 1 mile away, and it cost me... wait for it.. £26. Yes, you heard correctly, £26 for 24 hours parking. There are many other hotels that have deals with NCP for £12 for 24 hours, this should be sorted out ASAP.

All in all, this was a beautiful hotel, some time ago. The service we received from the staff was exceptional; they all tried their best to make us feel welcome, and I commend them for that.( In particular, the reception staff, the duty mananger, and the polite Australian guy who works the lift..) But I feel that such good staff are wasted on a hotel that can't decide whether it's customers are wealthy Ruperts and Henrys in the cocktail bar, or the guests sleeping in their rooms.
Move with the times, or just be a trendy bar...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank emmetyak
TigerlilyManager, Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for your comments. We continually aim for excellence and apologise if we fell short of your expectations on this occasion. Tigerlily is going to be enjoying a minor facelift in the coming weeks and this will leave the bars and restaurant space fresh and more exciting and enticing than ever.

Our rooms are also continually upgraded and old rugs are currently being replaced with new. I am sorry if your rug was not as spotless as it could have been on your visit.

On the bright side, we were pleased to read your kind comments about our staff and the way they looked after you.

Yours sincerely

Tigerlily management.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

We had a really nice stay at this hotel, which was a surprise treat from my husband for my birthday. We loved the decor. The shower was amazing and the bed really comfy. We had dinner in the restaurant. My husband had a fantastic steak. Our waiter was great but I don't think there was enough staff on as there was a big party in. we did have to wait a while for our food, which we didn't mind as we a were in no rush. My only other small negative was there was no ice In the room. Someone did come round 3 hours after we checked in but by that point we were heading out. We did have a lovely stay, it felt very special & would recommend to others.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Tigerlily as part of a tour around Scotland. We found out about the hotel on the Mr & Mrs Smith site and thought it looked very luxurious, just right for a honeymoon. The hotel is only part of the establishment, there is also a restaurant, bar and club. Its decoration is very modern and is uber cool with hot pink fabrics, statement mirrors and sparkling disco balls hanging from the ceilings. Our room was beautiful and had everything you could possible want including a fully loaded ipod and GHD hair straightners!

The rooms are situated above the bar/restaurant area. We couldn’t hear any music or noise to disturb us and enjoyed the close proximity so we could stumble upstairs after several cocktails in the bar.

The restaurant and bar is very chic with plenty larger’s on tap and a good choice of dishes on the menu at reasonable prices (2 courses for £15). Breakfast is also served in the bar and restaurant area which feels a little strange seeing it in the daylight and spotting the drunken alcohol stains on the chairs from previous nights. Breakfast itself is wonderful. Freshly cooked and served to order, the choice is varied and the cooked breakfast very tasty.

The hotel doesn’t have guest parking however there is some street parking just outside. This is pay & display and is fairly expensive (reasonable I suppose for City parking). Be careful when parking your car, we parked up temporarily outside the hotel simply to unload the suitcases and returned to a parking fine. The attendants are extremely vigilant!

We enjoyed our stay and found the staff very helpful. However, I couldn’t help but feel that the luxury was slightly over stated. It’s obviously a very popular place to go on a night out and ‘be seen’, full of beautiful people, but not really suited to my nature.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Just returned from a weekend in Edinburgh for my friends Hen weekend. We booked cocktail making and a meal at Tigerlily and Lulus. The cocktail making was great fun, the two mixologists, Jim and Aaron were friendly and welcoming. We all had chance to make a cocktail or 2 and tried each others, needless to say we were all quite happy! We had the club to ourselves for the session which lasted approx 1 1/2 hours. We then went upstairs to
lovely Tigerlilys, the restaurant is beautifully presented and the food and service were wonderful. There were 15 of us and the server remembered what each person ordered! the food was hot and delicious. We paid £55 each for the cocktail session and meal, which we all thought was brilliant value. Cant recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends