“There is a good reason you have to queue”
Review of Ting Thai Caravan

Ting Thai Caravan
Ranked #336 of 2,776 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: USD 7 - USD 12
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: ting-thai CARAVAN restaurant for all ages, tasty Thai food and drinks in a funky space with lively atmosphere and all for an affordable price. Best to get there early to avoid disappointment as it fills quickly, a popular day and nightspot.
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Believe the hype, this restaurant serves the best Thai food you are ever likely to eat outside Thailand. Sure the furniture is not very comfortable and sharing a table with other people is not everyone's cup of tea, the wine list also is either 'red, white or bubbles'. Get over this though and you are going to be licking the food from the box! I have so many favourite dishes but the Yam Moo Yang is my go to dish, the mix of rice, salad and pork brings tears to my eyes it is so good. My Wife loves the Pad-See-Ew which is dripping in soy sauce and garlic flavours. The beer battered prawns never get left and to be honest, I cannot wait to return. You are likely to have to queue but if you are as obsessed with this place as we are, I recommend visiting before 12pm on a Sunday when it is quiet and you can relax and enjoy your visit. How this place is not a chain is a mystery, it is a simple but brilliant concept well executed. Edinburgh is so lucky to have this absolute gem of a restaurant.

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

The thing I miss the most after leaving Edinburgh is this amazing Thai restaurant. During my two years in the city I probably visited this place 30 times and 29 I had the chicken pad thai... absolutely delicious!

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

A nice little noodle spot which gets very busy during the festival. Had to queue up to get a seat at lunchtime but the line moved pretty fast and we were seated in 15 minutes or so. Food was tasty and fresh although I've had better noodles. Also, the duck was too chewy. But all in all it was a pretty decent meal and really cheap too - especially for this part of town during the festival! The service was quick, friendly and efficient and the place clean and cheerful despite the hordes of hungry lunchers coming and going.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Do not go here unless you are happy eating in the Wagamama style/student canteen dining style!!

We didn't realise until we got sat in there and it made for a hurried, noisy, unrelaxed, poor quality dining experience. Music was so loud, everyone's voices had to rise above it. Knocking elbows with people next to us and having to hear their life stories!

Shame because the service was friendly and food of good quality. Wish I'd not taken the TripAdvisor rating at such face value

1  Thank Distant_Cousin
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Great spot for a post-Fringe feed! We had to queue but not for too long. Very welcoming staff and great food. We had a chicken/ginger dish and pork belly...both tasty! The sweet potato crispies worth a try too. Definitely worth a visit!