“Will stay again.”

Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Ranked #5 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The hotel isn't that difficult to find if using the local bus system. My stay was very comfortable and homey. Breakfast was great. Room wasn't too small nor was it too big. Ceilings were high and felt nice. Bathroom was adequate, enough space to do the cleaning ritual. Towel warmer was nice. Maxx and Annette are splendid owners. My wife and I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: No elevator/lift for those having difficulty with stairs, but there is/are rooms on the ground floor...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eyeheartjune
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

There is no better compliment than when a new Guest says that they will come back and stay with us and this Guest has made my day a lot brighter than the weather is outside, the last three years has seen the Hotel Trade and I suppose all Business adapting to the Internet review sites, we in the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia appreciate Guests views after they have left although it was hard to get used to in the beginning.

I feel even more connected to Travellers who leave reviews when they have so many choices of destination in this wonderful World to choose from, we really do read all reviews and answer them and take on board all comments and very glad to know that they will return to us in the future..

Reviewed 16 February 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel because of a) the high rating and good reviews and b) the location (away from the buzz of the centre but easy walking distance and good bus links).
During booking I requested a quiet room on the top floor, away from stairs. On arrival, I was delighted to be given what I asked for, so great start. We stayed 3 nights.
The room (Room 12) was very comfortable and clean and had a great view to Arthur's Seat. The en-suite was small but perfectly adequate.
Breakfast was delicious each morning with friendly service and a great variety of freshly cooked options plus cereals, fruit, toast etc. I loved the banana bread and shortbread ;)
It was very helpful to have free access to the internet in the reception area as we don't travel with laptops, iphones etc. The hotel also supplies a great wee map with useful info on buses, sights, nearby restaurants etc.
The only reason I can't award 10/10 is sleep quality. I had no problems getting to sleep at night but I was awake early each morning due to noise from the showers and extractor fans in nearby rooms. Infact on one morning this began at 5.30am! There appeared to be noise from the attic pipes above us too, which could sound really loud at times (almost like a really loud hoover!)
However, I feel that overall, the many positives outweigh this small negative and I do appreciate that some noise must be expected when residents are getting up at different times.
I would definitely stay here again so I suppose that speaks for itself!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2012

This was a great place to stay for a quick weekend. The breakfast is fantastic and Annette is very helpful. She gave us directions to sight-see and restaurant recommendations - our favorite was the Salisbury Arms (wonderful lunches and dinners). The bathroom in the room that we had was a little too small for our liking, but we managed, and the rest of the room was great. We really enjoyed our stay and would go back in the future.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Aha Annette and Janet’s Breakfast is hitting the spot again, they really do take pride in all breakies that they serve and soon we will offer our Guests a petite all day Continental Breakfast for those Guests who want a long stay in bed while on a Holiday.

When have been continually renovating this Old Hotel for 13 years now and we know that what was an OK bathroom in 1999 size wise is no longer good enough so we have a rolling programme to enlarge where possible all our bathrooms

We have just carried out a full refurbishment of one of our Rooms and taken away an adjoining small bedroom enabling us to make this new bathroom light and airy, we intend to make another 4 bathrooms larger by October this year and in so doing make our Guests stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in January and wish we could have stayed longer. Room was great. Breakfast was great. Annette was lovely and couldnt do enough for us. Great advice on places to eat, transport, etc. We will defintely be back!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kat2511
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2012

Short, Sweet and very Complete, thank you.

P.s looks like enough space is left for one of my shortest Poems..

When I here my Children Call ! ?

Then I know that that is ALL

Reviewed 7 February 2012

booked for 2 nights via last minute as attending the Scotland England 6 nations rugby match at murrayfield. Cost was £55 per night including breakfast for a single en suite room.
The welcome was very warm - the owners gave out a map with a lot of useful info. The hotel was spotless, the room was modern warm, lovely shower/ bathroom. there was free wifi. The hotel had a bar and was centrally located 10 minute bus rise from city centre (£1.30 each way).
Breakfast freshly cooked and plentiful with a good selection of cereals etc
Cannot fault it at all.
Note the stairs are quire steep and there isnt a lift - so if you cant do stairs then you need a ground floor room.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

A Hidden Gem, well this Guest certainly has given us a Little Sparkler of a review, tee hee hee, thank you for that, sometimes when we work seven days a week we forgett what day or week-end it is but it is reviews like this one that keeps us and the Staff trying to achieve a good Holiday Stay for all our Guests..