“Surprisingly comfortable and great location”

Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre
Ranked #104 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Have now stayed at this hotel on 3 separate occasions. Every time it has proved to be clean and comfortable. The Hotel is actually a very nice converted row of Georgian houses, in the New town and rooms are quite big. Facilities are fine and it is located in a super part of the capital, just a couple of minutes walk away from Princess street and surrounded by many cafes and restaurants . It is within close range of many of Edinburgh's finest attractions and also it's main railway station, Waverly . The breakfast is basic but more than adequate and it really belies it's budget status. Highly recommended and good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Wideeyedandlegless
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your constructive review, it's great to hear such positive comments regarding our hotel and location, and we very much appreciate your loyalty.

We are very lucky to be located within the city centre of Edinburgh and close to all local amenities, and we do pride ourselves on our beautiful building.

Once again many thanks for your review,

Gemma Vincent

Reviewed 25 March 2012

We Stayed for a quick stop over from London. We selected this hotel because of the value. The room was larger then expected. Simple decor, could have been at a Hoiday Inn anywhere. The things we really enjoyed were the location, the hotel staff and the breakfast. The location is within walking distance to shuttles, bus tours, shopping, pubs and resturants. There is a very delicious Indian resturant at the end of the block and The Conan Doyle on the opposite block. Make sure the resturants you wish to visit are open! We were there on a Monday and some places are closed Sunday-Monday. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful in making suggestions on nearby activities. The included breakfast is a good way to start your day with plenty of options for everyone.
I would stay here again for a quick stop over. If I were spending more time, I would look for a hotel with more character.
Note: the included wi-fi is very, very slow.
Tips: Try the hop on hop off buses. If you are here for 2 days, pay the extra for the 48 hour bus. It allows you to take all 3 buses and will stop at all sites in the city.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Cosmicevil.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

I am pleased to see that you found your stay enjoyable, our team work hard to ensure our guests have a great time in Edinburgh aswell as at the hotel.

I hope we can look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on a future occasion.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Had to be in Edinburgh for one night mid week with our dog. Struggled to find anywhere that was dog friendly where we could stay until I came across the Holiday Inn which is located opposite the Playhouse, has a car park & was within walking distance of where we had to be in the evening. When I entered the room I couldn't believe how spacious it was. We had just booked a basic room and was expecting something functional akin to a large broom cupboard but was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. The room was on a corner so that may account for the larger proportions. The shower room was small but adequate. We spent very little time in the room other than to sleep. Breakfast was included which I didn't have, but my husband had some toast and coffee which he said was fine. The hotel has a great location but it is on a busy noisy road (day & night) and as a light sleeper I relied on my ear plugs. However - for the money we paid, the fact that we had a bright large clean room & we were able to take our dog with us - it was more than fit for purpose.

Only very slight niggle was when I checked out. Having been so pleasantly surprised that the hotel had exceeded our expectations I was going to give some nice feedback to the girl at reception but she made no eye contact whatsoever and carried on talking to her colleague without barely an acknowledgement of my presence.

Room Tip: do take earplugs if you are a light sleeper and your room overlooks Picardy Place. Our corner room...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Dee,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay.

It is great to see your kind comments regarding the location of the hotel and your room, we are quite happy to accept small dogs at the hotel, and I am pleased that you all enjoyed your time here.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of customer service in which your received from our team member, all feedback is very important to us as it enables us to constantly review our services and standards, and it appears on this occasion we failed.

I am however greatful that you have shared your views on the hotel on this website, and look forward to welcoming you to our hotel on a future occasion.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I spent a Saturday night in a clean and comfortable sixth floor room at the rear of the hotel with a splendid view of the Forth with its bridges and Fife in the distance.

The excellent location, highly convenient for numerous restaurants, pubs and entertainment venues in the immediate vicinity, does of course mean a lot of traffic by day and people at night, so I was delighted to find virtually zero traffic noise despite constant activity in the busy street outside.

The room was on the small side but pleasantly decorated and equipped with flat screen TV, sofa, comfortable bed, choice of pillows, and a spotless shower room which appeared recently refurbished.

As I primarily used the hotel as a place to crash out after a night out, I was keen on a Sunday morning lie-in. OK, so I was in no shape for breakfast. Unfortunately, while the bed was comfortable enough the lie-in didn't really happen due to people tramping on very squeaky floorboards in the corridor and even normally-pitched conversation from the early risers next door was highly audible. Bring your ear plugs.

A combination of the central location and generally high demand in Edinburgh must add a premium to the price. Even though I didn't pay the rack rate, I still found the price (booked on Holiday Inn web site) was slightly hefty for a solo stay - probably OK for two - but for me this is simply good, clean, business class accommodation, no more, no less.

The one thing I would note is that the offhand attitude of the member of staff who dealt with my checkout certainly left a slightly bad taste in the mouth. That's a shame as I'd otherwise recommend the hotel for convenient city centre stay, although you should look closely for the best deals or consider other options.

Room Tip: Request a room at the rear of the building, preferably on a higher floor to keep away from street no...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Dear ColinAustin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay.

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your experience, and please accept my apologies for the below par standards of service you received, I shall certainly investigate with the team on duty on your day of departure as to why this happened.

Once again many thanks for your comments and I do hope that we can welcome you to our hotel on a future travel occasion.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Spent a very enjoyable weekend here recently. Didn't have greeat expectations as it was chosen for it's closenest to city centre but it proved to be a very comfortable hotel with staff who cared. Breakfast was buffet style but was substantial and well presented. Tables were being cleared as soon as they were vacated. Plenty of good restaurants and pubs nearby and only a short walk to Prince's St. Will return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the car park and was really quiet (403). Rooms facing the front of the hotel mig...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear Sylvia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

We appreciate your kind comments, you are correct in stating that we have a great location and are close by to a wide variety of restaurants.

Once again many thanks for your kind review, and we look forward to welcoming you to Edinburgh on a future occasion.

Catherine Fraser.