“No complaints, would stay again”

Ranked #102 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Sydney, Australia
“No complaints, would stay again”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed recently as a solo female traveller. Room was on the 4th floor, and I had no issues whatsoever with noise or room size as others have noted. However, I was staying Monday-Friday and not over the weekend which may be why others experienced problems with noise.

The room was clean upon arrival, and more than enough room for one person. The bathroom was also a good size, and the shower in particular was excellent. Location is also great - about 5-10 minutes walk to Waverley Station.

The only downside I found was the breakfast - I understand it is a limited stay hotel and breakfast reflects that. The hot food items were not nice, but if you're happy to eat cereal then you won't go hungry.

For the price I paid I was very happy, and would stay again when I return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear MsG,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay,

We appreciate all feedback and this enables us to constantly improve and work on our service.

I am pleased to see that you found your room to be of a good size and clean, our showers are power showers we often receive great feedback regarding these, so thank you.

Please accept my apologies for your dissatisfaction regarding breakfast, the quality of our items is to the highest quality, and I am concerned to hear you were unhappy with the item's offered, I shall certainly review this.

Once again thank you for your review, I hope we can welcome to the hotel on a future travel occasion.

Kind regards,

Gemma Vincent.
Sales Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Central Hotel, decent, clean, warm & well serviced rooms....view of the Forth if you stood on tip toe otherwise we could see the loading bay !

Breakfast bit basic but adequate....

all in all a positive experience

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Aitchabea,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

We very much appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on a future travel occasion.

Kind regards,

Alexander Cameron
Deputy General Manager,
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary, Firstly our room was down below street level, and fairly small, On arrival we found the toilet had not been cleaned, there were excrement stains on the bowl,and the complimentary coffee/tea cups had been used so we had to wash them, cobwebs adorned every corner of the ceiling. The noise from the street and other rooms was overwhelming,so two very disturbed nights sleep.This hotel maybe very convenient for the playhouse and close to town but this is reflected in the price, We have stayed at lots of hotels and paid a lot less for dinner bed and breakfast than we did here for just bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: Do not let them give you rooms 1 to 25
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Jim S

Thank you for your response during you stay at the Holiday inn express Edinburgh I am sorry to read that you had problems while you stayed in Edinburgh

I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise during the stay as it is not the intention to cause distress or discomfort to any of our guests. The soundproofing in the hotel is as per building control standards and with regret any noise from adjacent buildings is outside the management of the hotel.

I am not sure if you contacted the reception team to inform them that your room was dirty on arrival. The hotel team could have resolved this for you by offering another room and to find out how on this occasion a clean room was not provided, for this i wish to apologise as it is not the intention of the hotel to cause stress to any of our guests.

I have read through many trip adviser reviews and have never had to respond to one with issues as you have had and once again wish to apologise. I do just wish that you had allowed the team to resolve your issues before leaving the hotel as the team are disappointed with your review.

Once again thank you for your review.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Accommodation is good but due to extremely thin walls it was too noisy. We were woken up by drunken neighbours from both sides. It was impossible to sleep. Why the staff allowed drunk people to enter the hotel? They should have known that they would have disturbed the neighbours. The walls were so thin that we could hear how they were filling their glasses. Staff refused to deal with the disturbance. Nobody bothered to come up and sort it out. I had to go by myself and hammer on the neighbours doors and threaten them with the police. There was not enough choice of food at breakfast. Staff did not refill empty dishes. My daughter got the last portion of beans, but there was not enough for us. If you want a relaxing break this place is not for you.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mna212
Dear MNA212

Our hotel is located in the heart of Edinburgh’s New Town within a historic Georgian Style listed building. Surrounded by both nightlife and top tourist attraction sites makes this area of town lively both day and night.

I am sorry to hear that you felt our breakfast was not to the quality that you had expected. Our new complimentary ‘Express Start’ buffet breakfast, to include both a Continental selection now also has sausage, scrambled egg and baked beans. Our breakfast runs from 06:30 – 09:30 during the week. And 06.30 – 10.30 at the weekend The breakfast is replenished throughout the breakfast times and this keeps the hot options fresh at all times during breakfast.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope to see you return to Edinburgh in the near future.

Αθήνα, Ελλάδα
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed from February 12 through the 15th. I was apprehensive in the begging reading the reviews ,especially the negative ones. I will focus on them heating,the days we stayed were very mild, the heating devise was not not the one to be expected epsecially for a place like Edinburgh, and that has to be addressed by any available means. The room was warm enough but as i said the days were very mild no rain no snow no strong winds temeperature around 9 degrees. Breakfast was all right we had no complaints , just because there were certain thing missing does not constitute a major default ,rather busy all days but the people working there did their best with a BIG SMILE in their face ready to help. Personnel ,here let me disagrre with everyone who thinks that the people were unpolite,. to the contrary very friendly,very helpfull,very proffecional, and their smile was a genuine one. Cleaning that leaves sometnig to be desired , we did find peaces of hair on the towels the very first day we checked in and even though our towels were changed everyday I am still wondering how their cleaning company managed for the towels to appear used, that will be a great mystery. Location very good, As i SAID AN HONEST HOTEL what you pay you get PLUS A BIG SMILE and good people. the pictures you see on the hotel sight it is what you will find no photoshop no tamperring or something else. Wifi available at your request immediatelly.I would stay again , and i do recomend the hotel for someone who ,is not on a limited budget, but for all who do use a hotel for a good nights rest, after a long day in the city. A good hotel all and all no major faults, shortcomings are overcomed by your good will and by the good people who work there. once again i do recomend the hotel
Across the street there is a pub ,dont recall the name, it is a-beam the hotel next to the church, do take time to visit it good drinks friendly people nice atmosphere. If ,and sometime all of us should visit the city,a beautifull place to visit a lot of historic places. A place that should visit and dine is the WITCERY, if i spell the name correct. An excellent choise of dinning do take the set menu of 3 dishes rather economic choise, since it is rather expensive, but i dont think they would comprise on their quality, regardless of your choise. Do shopping around before you byu something. AN overcoat my wife fancied ,was priced at 100 english pounds on a shop in the PRINCE MALL ,by the bridge were the hip on-off busses start their journey, was found for 70 pounds in the shops that are located on the pedestrians only road that leads to the castle. Same goes for your all other shopping. If you byu the hip on-off buss if you stay more that 3 days it is a good idea to byu the 48 hour trip that will allow you the use of all three different route busses.do get off at all stops you will be amazed about the city. all and all a great city to visit and a very good choise of hotel if you visit the city.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Loner_GR

Thank you for your Kind comments during your stay at the Holiday inn express Edinburgh City Centre.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh and that you had a fantastic stay. I will pass on your comments to the team on reception as you said honest and happy staff.

Once again thank you for your kind review and positive comments and I hope to see you return to Edinburgh in the near future.