“Apex Grassmarket comes through again”

Apex Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #89 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 September 2017

Second stay at this lovely hotel and it did not disappoint!! Will definitely return if ever in the Edinburgh area again! The rooms, the views, the pool, and gym are all A plus!! Can't comment on the restaurant since we ate out for all meals.

Room Tip: View of Edinburgh Castle is a must! We saw fireworks our first night there.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,830)

Reviewed 8 September 2017

I stayed for two nights with my Mom and her friend, it was comfortable and inside the hotel it was very quiet. The staff was very pleasant and helpful with checkin, checkout, and helping carry our suitcases up the stairs at entranceway. We had a spectacular view of the castle and of the historic Grassmarket square. We had one breakfast at the hotel restaurant downstairs which was good value and tasty food, very friendly and accommodating staff. We enjoyed the Beehive Inn for dinner one night and Petit Paris(very very tasty meal) the next, both in the square. It is a slight uphill walk about a block to the Royal Mile. We utilized the Hop-on/Hop-off tour bus(stop is right outside the door of the hotel) for a fun day touring around the city! We visited sweet Stockbridge just north of New Town, checked out Holyrood Palace and much more. It was beautiful weather and with that it was quite warm in the room at night but we used the fan provided and it was fine. We could have kept the window open for coolness but during the night we heard a few people making their way home from late night out and various motorcycles revving up their engines in the square below, so we had to mostly keep it closed. It wasn't something that would stop me from booking again here though. The restaurants across the square seemed to be closed quite early so it wasn't patrons from there at all, this area is simply considered downtown, so on a summer night it was a very acceptable low level of activity. (The weeks right before our arrival the city was full swing with their annual summer festival but we arrived after it was all done, and from my point of view I don't think I would book any place downtown at all during a busy time like that if I wanted to have quiet). I would book here again if it was during any non-festival time because of its proximity to everything.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

The room was large with big comfortable beds. The room had high ceilings and the bathroom was recently updated. Just step out the front door and you have a full view of Edinburgh Castle. Great LOCATION!!! Plenty of good restaurants right across the street. The only thing i didn't like is the feather pillows that go flat and gave me a neck crick.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2017

Once again I was lucky enough to get an upgrade to a Castle view room. My flight had me in the city by 11:00 am so I went along to see if per chance my room might be got ready early. It was. On my previous visit I had eaten out but this time decided to try the Tony Singh room service menu, It was brilliant. A mile away from your standard 4 star room service menu.

I had Pulled Pork doughnut with maple and bacon sauce, Punjabi spiced sweetcorn and Burros with salted caramel dip. It would have graced a restaurant table never mind a room service tray. And great value at about £20.

My room was on the 3rd floor directly opposite the Edinburgh Tattoo Arena so I was treated to a firework display late on.

Only 2 minor niggles. The throw cushions on the bed seemed to be breeding. I think there were 8 on each bed and its a bit of a chore to have to remove all of these before you can get into bed. Style over substance on that one IMHO. .The other was that the edge of the shower screen sliced my arm when I reached in to turn the shower on. Possibly a bit more serious that one.

But they are niggles and the combination of the hotel quality and the friendly helpfulness of every one of the hotel crew that I came across means I would definitely make this hotel my preferred accommodation. when visiting Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Castle view.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

The Grassmarket Apex is not an hotel of any architectural merit or of beauty either internally or externally. However it is located in the heart of Edinburgh's happening centre, has a good view up to the castle and benefits from truly helpful staff.

Whilst the decor is tired modern, indeed in places somewhat scruffy the bedroom are spacious and airy, the beds are comfortable and the large windows open to allow access to the fresh and often bracing air of Scotland. There are some areas that could do with improvement. Some rooms have no separate shower units despite having large bathrooms. To shower one has to stand in the bath, this being both inconvenient and difficult for the less athletic. The water pressure in the showers is low and can feel weak.

In the bedrooms there are no standard three pins plugs by the beds. This makes it difficult for those (almost everyone these days) with mobile phones to charge whilst using them in bed or with iPads and similar.

The rooms appear not to have either mini bars or safes.

The hotel staff are great. Very helpful and polite. The breakfast is adequate however it is by no means gourmet.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business