“Any Room at the Inn”

Ranked #125 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bournemouth
“Any Room at the Inn”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I was travelling to Edinburgh for a Client night out and we decided to eat at Ricks whilst my clients stayed at another hotel and i was a late addition the hotel that they stayed in was fully booked, so made sense to book a room at Ricks for ease and comfort on arrival i was greeted by a very friendly lady, i asked if i could leave my case there due to not being able to book in til late in the afternoon and this was at 10am she took my reference number and name and held my case. i returned to the hotel at around 6.30pm after a day of drinking at eating with my clients to be greeted again in a very friendly manner by Paula ( i think she is the manager ) so i asked if i could book in only to be told that they had no record of my booking ( booked through Expedia ) obviously i was a little purplexed as it was looking like i was sleeping in the street, Paula worked her little socks of to find me somewhere to stay but unfortunately all the local hotels were fully booked, so she said that there was a B + B next door and that they had room so after inspecting the room i accepted the room i would also like to mention the people that run the B + B as they were also very friendly and very helpful although in a normal would a lot of people would put this as a negative report i have to disagree as a ) it was booked through a third party ( so they should receive the negative remarks and b) both the hotel and the B + B bent over backwards to fix the issue i will definately be going back to Edinburgh and i will also book through the hotel direct and see what the hotel rooms are like

Room Tip: Book direct to make sure you get the room
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
London
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Just come back from a 2 night stay at ricks and are overwhelmed with how amazing this hotel was! Firstly the staff were extremely friendly, recommending good places to go out. Very quick service, both at the bar and in the restaurant. Food was incredible. Definately recommend the eggs benedict (poached egg to perfection). One tinsy minor room for improvement is the orange juice wasn't fresh.

The room was fantastic - had everything u need. Hair straighteners/hair dryer/tv/DVD/iPod and docking station for music. Really comfy bed and really stylish.

Will definately go back there and would highly recommend to anyone!

britain
Reviewed 12 January 2012

we stayed here for 1 night and was in room 8 on the 3rd floor.we arrived early but told we couldnt get room till 2pm so we sat and had a few drinks in bar which was lovely.once checked in the guy carried our bags up to the room.the room had everything you can need including straightners.bed was really comfy and we slept with the glass door open and we didnt find it noisy till about 7am but it was ok.we had lunch which was really good and great service as was the breakfast next morning.it was nice to be served with breakfast instead of buffet.this is a great hotel and will definately return.

Room Tip: ask for a room on 3rd floor
DUNFERMLINE
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed at Ricks between Christmas and New Year. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help. The Room was great, The breakfast was very good. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I had high expectations for Rick's after having read so many good reviews but left disappointed. The hotel is in a great location. It's steps away from shopping, bars and restaurants and the hotel bar has a nice ambiance. The room, particularly the bed was very comfortable. There are nice touches like a loaded iPod and hair straightener along w/a blowdryer.

However the bathrooms are quite small and not practical. There are some design flaws such as putting the toilet paper holder so close to the toilet that you have to maneuver so has not to hit yourself. We were in room 2 and were awakened early in the morning first by workers on the street right outside our window, then by the housekeeper who banged on the door at 9:00am. I would have put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door to avoid this - but there weren't any in our room!?

The heater/radiator in our room didn't work but the manager was quick to bring a small space heater which was fine given we were only staying for one night. However this same manager had no idea where the stop for the Airport Express bus was when I asked him upon check out. He only offered to call us a taxi. For the record, the airport bus is less than a 10 minute walk from the hotel - I can't believe that a hotel manager doesn't know this basic information for guests!?

Finally the most disappointing thing was the breakfast. The restaurant menu bills itself as "organic and using only the freshest ingredients" -- I haven't had such a bad breakfast in a long time. The "fresh" juice was orange juice from a carton and my friend's Eggs Benedict were awful. The poached eggs were overdone and hard. The Bearnaise sauce was inedible (tasted like a mayonnaise that had gone bad). I ordered a Scottish breakfast with fried eggs thinking those are easier to cook than poached eggs. My fried eggs came out over cooked and hard?! How hard is it to fry and egg?? I couldn't believe it. I sent it back and the second time they were fine.

However all these things added up to a disappointing experience. I think the hotel has seen its' better days. I'm sure it was one of the "the" places to go to when it opened 10 years ago but I got the impression that the place and the staff is getting a bit rundown.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 2 and 3 which are on the ground floor facing a street with a restaurant next door and in...
2 Thank ainparis