“Love it!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We have been going here for Sunday lunch every other very week for the most part of this year. Partly because it's nearby, it accepts dogs in the bar but and most important always nice tasty food. Staff are very good and the meals are served pretty quick. The open fires on a cold day are greatly appreciated.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 19 October 2018 via mobile

After having visited the Steading several times over the years and always thought that their door was good, we have just had lunch there and were very disappointed.
My wife just wanted a light snack and had soup that was served cold and had to be sent back. I had a minute steak on a panino and it was so bad I could not eat it. After a couple of ok bites I reached a bit of meat I could not bite through, I tried removing it and tried to cut the steak with a steak knife and it was impossible. The whole remaining meat was like rubber and had the consistency of elastic. If we had not already returned my wife's soup I would have returned it instead of leaving it on the plate.
On a plus side our grandson's burger was fine.
Staff were friendly but I would have to think twice before returning.

2  Thank 742grahams
Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

We were there as a larger party for brunch, which was nice, one waitress was really nice and helpful one a little grumpy. But overall good experience probably would return

Reviewed 12 October 2018

Travelling from a day and night in Penicuik Stopped in for breakfast
Ordered one vegetarian one Scottish breakfast .
Plates arrived wow. Pic enclosed £8.50 for full breakfast inc toast and tea or coffee
What value. Sausage bacon egg mushroom black pudding haggis egg beans etc
Veggie sausage veggie haggis. Mushroom tomato beans so much was doubtful of finishing ..coffee fabulous good cup tasty and strong ditto on the Tea just spot on
Great service at 11am Great server. No bad words from two happy travellers

Reviewed 8 October 2018

Called in at The Steading on way home from a day out to the Borders with my wife and a couple of friends. We were warmly greeted and shown to a table immediately even on a Saturday night without a booking. The menu was quite extensive and very reasonably priced plus staff were friendly and attentive. Portions were more than ample with good food cooked well and served piping hot. There is a good sized car park attached. Would recommend this eatery and will, I am sure, return at some time.

1  Thank bighat83