See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 June 2018

great staff, good location, easy bus ride to tourist sites, very helpful nice staff, nice room especially for the price, shopping center about 2 blocks away, clean and quiet, pretty building in nice neighborhood

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 11 June 2018

I’ve stayed 4 nights in this hotel and the shower was blocked! After 2 minutes was flooding all room! I’ve asked to fix it, they said they will do it they will change room. Next day I spoke with duty manager to change room, he said that’s fine if you remove your complain with the agency! I’ve said I would do it but they couldn’t rent this room again until they fix the problem, then he told he won’t change my room anymore and I have to stay in the same room!!! Very rude man!!
On my last day they finally fixed the problem and I could have one proper shower!! I thought the problem was just my room (room 8) but form what I’ve heard other rooms have more problems, cold and dirty showers!!
I’ve sent an email to the hotel manager complaining and no answer!!

Room Tip: Stay in travelodge next door.
Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Jmma10
Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

The event that took me to Edinburgh was for a 4 day rugby tour of mixed age group of 28 guys. Reception staff were friendly and helpful. Location is on a main route into the bottom of princes street with plenty of regular buses into and back from the centre ( ideal when you have had a few)
Taxi’s were reasonable too
( I would say approx 2 mikes out of the centre of town)
The hotel is in need of updating
Rooms were clean and comfortable plenty of hot water and generally clean.Beds were small in our twin room and in the other rooms I came in contact with- all decor needing updating in my opinion.
We stayed on a room only basis - there is a Sainsbury’s just up the road for breakfast and a Greggs serving value for money bacon baps etc
All in All it was ample for the occasion I was part of - but
To be honest I probably would not take the missus there

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights, and I can honestly say it was not worth the money we paid. The positives were that there was a private car park, it's situated in a nice area, there are very frequent buses running past the hotel even in to the early hours and it's just a few minutes walk from a shopping centre, other than that it was awful. The room was very dirty and clearly uncared for, the bathroom was quite dirty with brown dirt in all the corners of the shower cubicle and really could do with a good clean as well as modernising. The towels provided were covered in stains which were either blue or brown, one of which actually looked like a previous guests make up or fake tan. The window in the room wasn't well sealed which meant there was a constant cold draft coming through. The beds weren't great, we had one single and a double. The single bed had a sponge mattress which had grooves in it so it was clearly quite old, the sheets on this bed had stains on also. The double bed had a previous guests hair stuck to the mattress, and the mattress had a sheet on it that wasn't actually big enough, so the top of the mattress was exposed, and there was a mattress protector on this bed which was severely frayed and worn out. The pillows had no pillow protectors on and only a thin pillow case which seems a little unhygienic. There were 2 bedside tables, one which contained a hair dryer and a Bible, however the Bible clearly had a dried up bodies stuck to it which was disgusting. Tea and coffee facilities were provided, however for 3 of us there was only 2 spoons, and the tea bags were clearly a bog standard budget brand which were just left in the dish unsealed so anybody could have touched them previously, plus they were dried up. The furniture in the room was very basic and nearly everything was from IKEA which I wouldn't expect of a hotel. The room itself was very cramped and for 3 adults was not suitable and would've better suited 2 adults, however we saw other rooms that were left open and these were much bigger so we felt a bit robbed. The cleaners came in after the first might whilst we were out in the day time and washed the cups that had been used in the room, this was all that was noticeable that had been done but they left their washing up liquid in the bathroom which seemed unprofessional. The guy on reception at check in wasn't very welcoming and his attitude was indifferent, we felt like an inconvenience for being there. The hotel as a whole was a bit of a maze as it is very big and has more than one staircase, one near reception for the first floor and one near the middle of the building for the second floor, however it was easy to get lost because the signage wasn't very clear. The exterior of the hotel looked nothing like the pictures and looked untidy which was a real shame as it's a lovely building. unfortunately we definitely won't be staying here on our next visit to Edinburgh, however there's a smart looking Travelodge next door for a similar price.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 26 March 2018

We have just stayed at the Northumberland Hotel after a Weekend Break to Edinburgh, after reading the many bad reviews on this Site we were quite apprehensive to say the least but there was no need, it is a lovely Hotel. We received a warm welcome from the Owners and the room was freshly painted, clean and comfortable, and also vacuumed daily. There was also a tray of Tea and Coffee, Hairdryer and Sachets of Shower Gels in the Room.
We will definitely return to the Hotel, the only negative to our stay was that we felt the Cooked Breakfast at £7.50 was a little overpriced and that being a B and B Establishment should have been included in the overall Price but I think that many places charge separately nowadays. Also it is £3 extra to use Wi-Fi in your room, it is only free in the Lounge but we didn't use it during our Stay.
Hotel is in a good area, only 5 mins to Cameron Toll Shopping Centre on foot and there are frequent Buses to City Centre which is only about 15 mins away but are advisable as all day Car Parking in the City is £17.
A very enjoyable trip to a beautiful City :-)

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family