Gifford House
  • Room Service
USD 678*
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsarthur's seatholyrood parkbus stoproyal commonwealth poolwould highly recommend this guest housedalkeith roadfront of the houselovely hostslocal busessmall bathroomvisiting edinburghrooms are spaciousperfect stayexcellent locationwithin easy walking distanceevery morninggreat place to stay
Reviewed 9 September 2014

A group of 8 of us stayed here, for a total of four days, at the start and the end of our trip to Scotland, and we loved it. The rooms are lovely and very clean. Breakfast is delicious, and David's porridge is especially tasty. Margaret and David are warm and helpful in every way, For example, they provided insights into the best seats for the Tattoo and answered other questions in emails months before our visit, and then gave us suggestions about where to eat, how best to get into the center of Edinburgh, etc., once we arrived. Another example of their hospitality was David's inquiry if those of us leaving early for the airport would like a breakfast set out. This is a lovely place, and the hosts are charming.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2014

Parking was off street ? Was safe.
Nice people but thought it was expensive but then Edinburgh is pricy.
Good breakfast. Clean room. Good wifi.
We ate in to local pubs.
We took a taxi into town. £8.00 . So a little out of town.
The toilet and shower room are very cramped.
Rooms at the back are quiet.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is the second time I have stayed here in the last 14 months. David and Margaret are great hosts, and I found the place to be clean and quiet.

I am a golfer, so you cannot get much closer to the Prestonfield Golf Course. Plus, the bus stops right in front of the place if you want to go into town.

Room Tip: rooms at the front of the house are louder due to street noise. The windows, when closed, keep much of that noise out.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We are actually still staying here, but I love this place so much I wanted to post a review!
My wife and I are traveling on our honeymoon and we are so happy we found this place to stay! I run a large wedding and event venue in Colorado and my wife runs and manages 20 international hotels and so to say we are particular about where we stay would be an understatement! LOL this place is incredibly beautiful. It's well located and easy to get to. There's tons of stuff to do around here with easy transport, a bus stop just outside and a lot of great places to walk nearby. Arthur's seat is a great nearby nature walk with stunning views. We came for the Edinburgh fringe Festival and are staying for another week to explore Scotland. The room we're staying in is very clean and comfortable, really beautiful, well lit, beautiful view. The bed is very comfortable, free Wi-Fi. Breakfast is served every morning and it's really great fresh food. I've become a huge fan of David's porridge! The salmon and eggs also wonderful. Margaret and David are incredibly kind and gracious hosts. When we informed them that our plans were flexing a little bit, that we wanted to stay longer, they went out of their way to make it easy for us to do so. I cannot speak highly enough about this place. We have not even left yet but I want everyone to know what a wonderful place it is. I think that there are a few places that you will find that will match the quality of the experience and the kindness of the hosts. We both highly recommend this place without any hesitation!

Room Tip: Number 5 has a lovely view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zenguitardude
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Gifford House. It was a lovely experience and everything was excellent. Margaret and David could not have been more hospitable. The room and breakfasts were both top-notch.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple